HIFIMAN HM901 with HD650 or HD800
Sep 11, 2013 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

reficul560

New Head-Fier
As my first question of the headphones in my entire life, I am really seek inputs for the performance of using Hifiman 901 directly with HD 650 or HD 800.

I have already searched a lot websites for this question. From "not a chance" to "pretty damn good", I got almost every kind of reviews of this set-up.

Can some one give me some suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 7
I think the true answer really depenese on what amp board you use and the volume you listen.  The standard one has only 150mW max power on high gain for 30 ohms load, which you will only get 15mW max power on a 300 ohms load for your HD650 or HD800, and that may not be enough to make them sound good.  There is an optional balanced amplifier module board that gives a slightly higher power at 200mW high gain in normal and 477mW balanced, but in my option you really need a decent amp like the CEntrance HiFi-M8 to make those high impedance headphones sound good.  It is true that you can try using them with the 901 stock, but I really don't think you are doing the headphone justice, and there is no way to know unless you can try it out yourself.

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks a lot.

I plan to use the balanced amp board. I travel a lot, so I want to make this as portable as possible. Even though I considered TH900 as plan B, I still want to know whether I have a shoot with HD 650. Generally speaking, I already gave up on HD800.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #4 of 7
  Thanks a lot.

I plan to use the balanced amp board. I travel a lot, so I want to make this as portable as possible. Even though I considered TH900 as plan B, I still want to know whether I have a shoot with HD 650. Generally speaking, I already gave up on HD800.

I think the 650 might work, but I urge you to consider the HiFi-M8 in the future.  It is really powerful and was tested with the HD800 with very good results.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #6 of 7
  Thanks again. I will take a look at it. Meanwhile, somebody suggests me to alter HD650 to balanced to match with the 901 balanced amp board. Do you think it's necessary?

Maybe, but I won't do it right away until you test the 650 in normal mode first, and if you find it lacks power, then go balance with it and take advantege of the higher power from the module.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back