Hifiman HM801 -> RSA Blackbird -> UE18 Pro
Apr 7, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, okay. Good to know.
ph34r.gif

Also; out of curiosity, how much did you buy the Hifiman for?

HK$5,400
Probably higher than the pre-order price, but the idea of a 15 minutes drive to a shop where the Hifiman is sitting there to be bought beats the hassle of ordering online and waiting on shipping and all that. I have had enough of that when waiting for my 18 Pro.

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saintkeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice everyone is picking up a hifiman now. does it support ALAC or AIFF? i might be attempting to rebuild my library. only have one album in AIFF =( If only there was a music CD rental store in SG

It doesn't support alac or aiff at the moment... flac and wav format will be your best bet...

it *might* be time to start doing another custom to pair with your upcoming hifiman hahaha

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saintkeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahaha dunno about that yet.. guess i'll start saving for a pair... i think the 2nd generation of hifiman might be worth the wait.. the batt life and interface doesn't impress =/

the battery life in real life is enough to last the whole day from real world use.

As for the interface,it's even easier to use than the ipod...the same buddy of mine who thought the same as you ended up getting used to to it,just drag and drop!even my girlfriend wants one now because the audio quality is unrivalled in its class.. you really have to try it yourself to be blown away=)

jaben has a nice bundle on going now for a custom and hfm combo i believe..though there are no more stocks of hfm at the moment

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #22 of 26
Hey googleli, which shop did you get it at? were you using the D2 before?

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jussssss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey googleli, which shop did you get it at? were you using the D2 before?

Got it from Mingo... Yes I was using D2 and believe me they are in different leagues.

Apr 12, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #26 of 26
I gave a detailed listen to the Hifiman through the Blackbird today and found it more to my liking than straight through headphone out of Hifiman. Through the blackbird, the bass is a tad slower but still very clear and speedy, basswise it is also a bit lighter but just suits the 18 Pro which is quite bass heavy. The mids and highs also seem to be a little bit less bright but sounds smoother on the black bird. The sound stage and sweetness of female vocal from the Black Bird through the Hifiman's line out seems to beat the Hifiman internal amp.

I heard the RSA BB has a flavour of tube amp, I don't know if this is the "tube flavour" that the RSA possesses, because I have never listened to an actual tube amp lol. I listen to a lot of female vocal so Hifiman through the Black Bird seems to be the perfect match for me at the moment. Now I am hearing sound I have never heard before (I know this line has been used a thousand times on this forum) and I am into uncharted territories of music. I have yet to decide between JH16 pro and JH13 Pro but right now I think it is as good as it gets for music I have ever heard with my UE18 Pro.

Don't get me wrong - I am not saying that there is anything bad about the Hifiman's headphone out. I am still happy with music straight out from the Hifiman and it is still much better than my other previous mobile devices such as the Cowon D2 and other mobile phones / ipod nano etc.

But now at least I know the money I spent on the RSA Blackbird is not a waste. Problem is that I am now tempted to try the Protector... Gotta wait up for next month in order to keep my saving target, given my purchase of GTX480 SLi yesterday right after the Hifiman last week...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back