Hifiman HM801 -> RSA Blackbird -> UE18 Pro
Apr 7, 2010 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

googleli

Headphoneus Supremus
When I bought my RSA Blackbird I thought it would be the end of my search, but then many people reminded me that using Cowon D2 as a source is a big no-no because it only has headphone out, and going out from Cowon D2 and then the RSA would constitute double-amping. So I bought a Nokia X6 which has line out option when connected to its 3.5mm out. It sounded better than the Cowon D2 in line out mode through the RSA black bird but I thought it could be better.

I almost ordered the RWA imod 120GB but gave up due to paypal issues and Ken was too busy to reply to me I guess. Then the Hifiman HM801 came out, and it happens that a headphone shop here in Hong Kong has stock of it. After reading some reviews I decided to go for this.

Big box - much bigger than I expected
2365202140063382564S600x600Q85.jpg

Big unit - my brother happened to be around when I unboxed it and asked me what time I am living in. He thought I am back to the 80's and bought a real big cassette player.

2932996010063382564S600x600Q85.jpg

My current lineup: Hifiman HM801 -> RSA SR71A Black Bird -> UE 18 Pro (just added artwork)
2517368960063382564S600x600Q85.jpg

Impressions on the setup will be posted later, maybe after 100-200 hours of run-in.

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 26
Initial impression is that I can do without the blackbird. Straight from headphone out it sounds pretty amazing already. Connected to the blackbird, I do feel a wider soundstage, and the sound is a bit less bright, but balances out the bass which I feel is a bit heavy especially on the mid bass side, given that the 18 Pro has pretty heavy bass.

But when I A/Bed this setup with and without the Blackbird with er4p as reference, I find that headphone out straight from Hifiman is a clear winner over the Blackbird - the sound is in perfect balance. The bass sounded straight from headphone out of Hifiman is the deepest and crispest thing I have heard. And not until now am I aware what the ER4P is capable of. Although it still lacks the density of sound, depth of bass (believe me, er4p has really deep bass already when probably amped) and the liveliness of the mid that my 18 Pro can give, it is a true reference piece which can be used for testing equipment in and out. And it is like 6 times cheaper than UE18 Pro.

When I have time I will try all my other IEMs (SE530, Ortofon e-Q7, CK100, TF10 Pro, Westone 3) on the Hifiman and write some impressions.

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you really need to add the blackbird? i thought the hifiman's headphone out was already good enough wasn't it?

That's what I was thinking.. isn't that kinda the point of the hifiman?

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I was thinking.. isn't that kinda the point of the hifiman?

Yes, but since I got the Black Bird already and the Hifiman has a lineout hole, I thought there was no harm trying it.
beerchug.gif
I was thinking about selling my blackbird and getting an RSA Protector but now I doubt the need of it...

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #7 of 26
Yeah, and wouldn't it still be double-amping, going from the Hifiman -> Blackbird? I think that's what I'm seeing in your pictures, unless the Hifiman has a line-out.

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 26
Buddy of mine is using the same combo as yours (HFM+BB) and he felt that the HFM trounces it in terms of bringing out the details just by the internal amp itself.

I'm using mine with the 13s and am loving it without any amp. Am just waiting on all my ICs and customs to come and I can go portable balanced with it lol!

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 26
The Hifiman HM801 does have a separate lineout and you can actually take out the whole amp module from it according to some reviews but I am still trying to figure out how without breaking anything...

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, and wouldn't it still be double-amping, going from the Hifiman -> Blackbird? I think that's what I'm seeing in your pictures, unless the Hifiman has a line-out.

It does have a line out to bypass the internal amp.

Time for you to order the GAME module googleli!

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by super_fied /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What's dat?

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

You obviously haven't been following head-direct's forum lol....go to their forum and check it out. It is designed specifically for iems to bring out more control and details.

No wonder the Hifiman sounded so great for the er4p - I guess it is because of er4p's higher impedance? I bought my Hifiman from a shop so I actually did not follow the thread in head-direct. Would be great if you could point me directly to the site where I can place an order on the module
atsmile.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Ah, okay. Good to know.
ph34r.gif

Also; out of curiosity, how much did you buy the Hifiman for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back