Hifiman HM1000: Worlds first Quad PCM 1704 DAP
Jul 20, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #286 of 585
Do we really need to leave it on while charging ?
It's getting really hot and quite worrying for the long run..
I turn it off when the charging led is solid red. It charges that way too.

Jul 20, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #288 of 585
How do we know when it's fully charged then ?
Only by duration is it ?
Depends on how empty your battery was. Take it off charging after a while and check. Or turn it on and check the led. I haven't timed the charging yet. I think that charging stops when it's full.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #289 of 585
Do we really need to leave it on while charging ?
It's getting really hot and quite worrying for the long run..
Don't own the HM1000, however I do own the R2R2K with a similar situation. What I do is when I charge the R2R2K is place it on it's side to allow for better heat dissipation. Leaving the player flat back down on the desk results in it getting rather warm to the touch.

TBH despite the claims, I'd also look to a low capacity charger as this will also extend the batteries life. Lithium batteries fair best in the 20% to 80% range with a slow charge. As with all in life there is a cost to everything fast charge works, at a cost...

Q-6

Jul 23, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #290 of 585
Hi there, owners of the HM1000. Good read on the feedback on this thread. It’s been a year on since it’s arrival, I’m curious to find out — any update on the teething problems, eg Bluetooth aggravations, App lacking user-friendlines, functionality and stability, heat/speed/connectivity, etc — has it improved? Sound quality aside, has the experience justified your investment? Thank you and hope everyone is having a safe and enjoyable weekend.

Jul 29, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #291 of 585
I'm happy with the new app + PC assistant combo.

Took under 5 mins to scan 7000 mostly FLACs; then under a minute to populate QR code and for the app to download the file from the QR code.

To clarify, the new app is in English.

PC assistant is not- however it's easy to use as there are only two buttons to click (along with simple instructions).

Attachments

• PXL_20210729_191748001.jpg
    PXL_20210729_191748001.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2021-07-29 151854.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-29 151854.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 0
Aug 1, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #292 of 585
Well, the fun is over for me..

- Last night, my unit cannot keep a connection for more than 30 seconds (bluetooth and usb). 30 secs after connected, it shut down by itself. Same behavior when I turn it back on. And even within that 30 seconds connection window, there is no sound coming through 3.5 and 4.4 output.
- Cannot charge the unit. Thought it might not have enough 'juice' to maintain a connection, tried to charge it for more than 7hrs but the charging led still remains solid red. And it's not getting warm like it usually does while charging.

Looks like, I will need to claim the RMA on this unit.
The thing is, my friend who has claimed the RMA last month; was offered a headphone by Hifiman (Ananda) instead of replacing the HM1000 (red). They were saying no more HM1000 in stock to replace his unit with...

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #294 of 585
For those of you who have used the last android app in Audionewbi's link here;
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...uad-pcm-1704-dap.931330/page-18#post-16437148
How long did it take the Android app to recognise your HM1000, once the app had been launched?

I've just received my HM1000 and wanted to check which firmware it had been shipped with but while I can connect to it via Bluetooth, no problem, when I open the app, I can see an image of an HM1000 with a tick box for 'auto connect to this device' and then a 'connect' button underneath it however the whole time there is a timer circle and the app just stays stuck there with the timer circle, no matter what or where I click.
Capture+_2021-08-02-23-16-23.png

I've left it for half an hour with WiFi off, only Bluetooth on. Nothing. I've tried it on another android device, uninstalled and reinstalled, reset app permissions but the app just will not connect. This has all been done without any memory card installed in my device.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #295 of 585
For those of you who have used the last android app in Audionewbi's link here;
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...uad-pcm-1704-dap.931330/page-18#post-16437148
How long did it take the Android app to recognise your HM1000, once the app had been launched?

I've just received my HM1000 and wanted to check which firmware it had been shipped with but while I can connect to it via Bluetooth, no problem, when I open the app, I can see an image of an HM1000 with a tick box for 'auto connect to this device' and then a 'connect' button underneath it however the whole time there is a timer circle and the app just stays stuck there with the timer circle, no matter what or where I click.

I've left it for half an hour with WiFi off, only Bluetooth on. Nothing. I've tried it on another android device, uninstalled and reinstalled, reset app permissions but the app just will not connect. This has all been done without any memory card installed in my device.
Strange, mine connects right away, there's no timer circle.

Have you tried disconnecting Bluetooth, opening the app and then trying to CONNECT through the app(while Bluetooth is still on but not connected)? Device and app are connected through special low power Bluetooth state, they don't connect through LDAC. LDAC is for digital wireless Input, not for connecting and maintaining connection to the app. Hope that makes sense. Because looking at your screenshot looks like Bluetooth connection has been established which shouldn't be the case when using the app.

If not, maybe something to do with Android version? I installed the app on device operating on Android 12 Beta.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #296 of 585
Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's much appreciated.
I've made some progress from where I was but there are still issues... But it's Hifiman. There will always be issues I guess.
Have you tried disconnecting Bluetooth, opening the app and then trying to CONNECT through the app(while Bluetooth is still on but not connected)?
I do understand what you are saying.
On my setup, Bluetooth is paired but it is not set up as either media or headset. Just showing up as a paired device under Android Bluetooth settings. My Devialet player was connected via Bluetooth hence the icon.

If I do not pair the HM1000 at all, it doesn't show up in the app. I read a post by Audionewbi, right at the beginning, where he mentioned his Bluetooth connection wasn't very strong so I tried the app without the HM1000 paired but with Bluetooth on however the app doesn't detect it even with the phone on top of the player... So I'm assuming the app requires the device to be paired(?) otherwise THAT Bluetooth transmitter is broken on my unit.
If not, maybe something to do with Android version? I installed the app on device operating on Android 12 Be
Thanks for the suggestion.
So I've found that it is something to do with the app itself. I have a way of forcing control icons onto android and it is telling me that the Hifiman App has some sort of cycle running to keep it from going to sleep. For whatever reason it's also superceding screen touches.
I can get into the app but only if I speed press 'connect' about 20-30 times very quickly.

Browsing in the app is not very smooth however the remote control which appears in the task bar is very responsive. Likely the same cycle problem mentioned before.
I imagine this is an Android Device specific issue so I'll try yet another device over the weekend because I've checked the firmware and it appears to be the latest one.

My unit is the 4X PCM1704K gold version. Some things to note;
- Hifiman have stated they believe the last production batch of the PCM1704k units will be the last due to the difficulty in sourcing these chips
- Running the music scan doesn't take long at all. I've only installed a tester SD Card with around 1000 tracks but it took a minute or so to scan. I chose to manually transfer the DAT file onto my phone as it is quicker via an OTG reader than booting up a laptop and scanning the QR code
- Total fingerprint magnet. I also much preferred the black to the gold finish but on the other hand it makes matchy matchy when using the WM1Z as a Bluetooth source, albeit more of a rose gold
20210803_011827_1.jpg

- My QC stamp shows production date of my unit is June 2021. I suspect this may be the last batch made available for purchase
- Line level output is non-variable (unless I've missed it) and too high for use with the Shure KSE1200. Requires -20dB attenuation on the KSE1500 to prevent clipping
- I can detect noise making its way through to the line-out when a USB power source is connected. It is very low level but noticeable as soon as the power is unplugged. Will have to test whether that's the same with a battery source, different cable or regulated mains

Current sound with the caveat that this is hours old and thus not fully burned in. Listening done only with JH Audio Layla and Focal Utopia;
- Sound is indeed a more refined R2R2000 black; better layering and more insightful detail retrieval while keeping the same raw, reference sound signature. Maybe a little less midbass-mid frequency bloom in favour of more layering and bass resolution. Extremely effortless and instrumentally accurate. Infinitely lower noise levels than the R2R2000
- Better soundstage width and layering than LPG 2017. Similar level of bass depth and impact but more resolving. Mids are more forward and sweeter than the LPG. Currently the LPG has a higher level of treble response. Detail retrieval is similar between the two but the LPG sounds relatively digital in comparison and slightly congested due to the sound stage. LPG has a far more powerful amp
- Sony WM1Z; I suspect earlier firmwares would have given these closer tonalities but over time the Sony firmware has made the device less over thick analogue and something approaching more reference. Still, WM1Z is thick sounding with more midbass emphasis. HM1000 has more low end resolution, layering and detail retrieval. Mids are similarly forwards and sweet but the HM1000 Is more emotive. Treble is similar between both as is soundstage but the WM1Z sounds soft in comparison. Similar amp power
- Chord Hugo 2; performance level of HM1000 is closer to Hugo 2 than Mojo; detail retrieval and resolution. Chord Hugo has possibly more detail retrieval, mainly due to its management of Time Domain retrieval however the HM1000 is more accurate in its presentation, especially for acoustic, vocal and orchestral work. I still find the bass and vocal presentation sweeter on the HM1000 however the treble response of the Hugo 2 is more sparkly. I'd say the performance level between the two is similar
- L&P LP6; Hmm... I like the sound of the LP6 but it doesn't remind me of the qualities I associate with most R2R DAC implementations; detail retrieval is similar between both and both devices are smooth NOS affairs however the LP6 has a decidedly balanced and nimble presentation while being slightly more laid back. They both have that raw, in your face quality which is a rarity in portable audio but the HM1000 is more aggressive. The HM1000 is warmer sounding with more forward mids and bass layering the LP6 has a slightly raised subbass performance and more emphasis on upper mids and sparkle on top. The HM1000 is more analogue sounding with the LP6 sounding more smooth reference

I bought this purely to test as a source for the KSE1500/KSE1200, mainly because I wanted a DAC source which could rival desktop gear but in a transportable size. Most sources I have tried have left me wanting, when compared to the Blue II+Dave combo I have at home. Clearly a portable Dave doesn't exist but still want something which has less relative deficits.
The Chord Hugo 2 has satisfied for a while but it can be treble aggressive and a little cold plus it is hardly pocketable so speaking about line-out specifically;
- Undoubedly a benchmark as far as line out goes in a portable unit. Output is raw, detailed orientated, analogue sounding and extremely dynamic. I'm not convinced the amp section of the HM1000 is at the same level as its DAC implementation
- Low to no noise levels on line-out
- Superbly accurate presentation with no hint of digital artifacts
- Surprisingly warm presentation with extreme levels of resolution and a palpable but dense presentation for the bass and an extremely emotive vocal sound signature

I have to try the android app on another device but it's currently a mess on my phone. The local playback is quite a strong requirement for me as I don't want to stack more units for OTG control. I'm not anticipating Hifiman doing much more development with the new 901 unit incoming and the HM1000 production being ceased... Again!
The posts and reports about dead units and Bluetooth failures are concerning but we'll see.

Overall, I'll await the unit burning in but currently, for those seeking an extremely accurate presentation with emphasis on low frequency detail and a forward, expressive vocal presentation, this is a unit you'd do well to audition.
As far as the KSE1500+HM1000 is concerned, the presentation of the HM1000 is a near perfect match for the KSE1500. The KSE1500 plays well with warm sources with good low frequency resolution, it excels at vocals and prefers a source with a slightly softer treble presentation. It is an extremely fast and precise performance and it will exhibit everything it is fed. The HM1000 has that exact tonality but also a bewildering level of organic detail retrieval.
The HM1000+KSE1500 is a benchmark pairing for me. Not just for portable gear but all my headphone gear in general. It is quite unbelievable such a pairing can fit into a pocket.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #297 of 585
Bought Hifiman HM1000 in Hifiman Store Website but unit is defective when i tested it so i talked with them and they wanted me to return it since they have no choice its their last and only stock. I spent $15.50 (USPS Priority) today just to ship back the unit and will wait for my $599 refund for another week or 2. Wow!😱
EB052E30-405D-4B4C-BC2A-8FC4A9372DF1.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #298 of 585
Bought Hifiman HM1000 in Hifiman Store Website but unit is defective when i tested it so i talked with them and they wanted me to return it since they have no choice its their last and only stock. I loss $15.50 (USPS Priority) today just to ship back the unit and will wait for my $599 refund for another week or 2. Wow!😱
Sorry to hear. Perhaps you'll have better luck in the secondary market, that's where I found mine.

Aug 7, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #299 of 585
Bought Hifiman HM1000 in Hifiman Store Website but unit is defective when i tested it so i talked with them and they wanted me to return it since they have no choice its their last and only stock. I loss $15.50 (USPS Priority) today just to ship back the unit and will wait for my $599 refund for another week or 2. Wow!😱
If you paid with PayPal by any chance, they would refund your return shipping fee.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Aug 7, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #300 of 585

Users who are viewing this thread

Back