HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Oct 28, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #3,392 of 3,445
Where is google translate when you need it 
frown.gif

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #3,393 of 3,445
Possibly the best portable player I've heard driving my HD600 & HD650 in balance mode via 3.5mm TRRS 4 pole to XLR 4 Pin.

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #3,395 of 3,445
After asking in several occasions in these forums if the 901/901s was capable of driving the lcd3, I decided to listen for myself. I got a 3.5 trrs to xlr adapter. The lcd3 gets more than enough volume with the 901s in balanced mode, however it doesn't sound as open as when connected to a good desktop amp. The bass is strong, but not as tight. The mids are not so bad, but definitely what sufferes the most are the highs. Don't get me wrong, the lcd 3 sounds good with the 901/901s, but it sounds much, much better with a good desktop amp. I know many people complain about how the lcd3 lacks treble extension. IMO that is because they are underpowered. Being capable of driving a headphone is not just about volume. Even an iPod by itself gives the lcd3 enough volume.

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #3,396 of 3,445
Is 901 meant to be paired with hungry home open headphones? Are you asking it to-do a bit too much work?

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #3,397 of 3,445
You could take the finest home amp in the world, sound wise, whatever it might be, and ask it to drive too hard a load and it might fail. You have to use everything within it parameter of meant use. There is nothing unreasonable about that. 

On sound quality, I think the 901s is extremely good sounding, one of the best I have heard and now with a very fine case and improved system over the 901. I also really like the smoothness of the volume control. So using it within its ability is going to, IMO, give you some of the best sound you can get, especially from a portable system. Then you can also use it with the dock and use it with a home system and an amp that puts out whatever power you want/need. 

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #3,398 of 3,445
You could take the finest home amp in the world, sound wise, whatever it might be, and ask it to drive too hard a load and it might fail. You have to use everything within it parameter of meant use. There is nothing unreasonable about that. 

On sound quality, I think the 901s is extremely good sounding, one of the best I have heard and now with a very fine case and improved system over the 901. I also really like the smoothness of the volume control. So using it within its ability is going to, IMO, give you some of the best sound you can get, especially from a portable system. Then you can also use it with the dock and use it with a home system and an amp that puts out whatever power you want/need. 

Yep. I used my 901 by itself or with another external amp to power my hd650. Works for me.

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #3,399 of 3,445
My 901/minibox has no problems driving my HD600s or D2000

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #3,400 of 3,445
Finally got back my balanced amp card after modification! 
good things: definitely better pairing with low impedance headphone. Modification doesn't change character of sound dramatically, it become more dark and private, solid and bodily. Ty Segall, Sam Flax, Thee oh Sees, Cherry Glazer and other garage rock - HELLO again, now I can listen you guys with pleasure. Another thing which I notice, looks like modification improves power supply for amp card & UI become more respond on old 1.085fw.

bad things: now you I can hear all details of bad records, especially with last fw. Unfortunately even with modification it`s still not enough to drive my favorite he-500.
Peaks are so so... Later will upload better quality

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #3,401 of 3,445
What is the essence of the mod?
- and what components are changed?

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #3,402 of 3,445
Since there is no separate threads, wondering if anyone had the HM-901U, or tried the musical amp card?

Edit : @flinkenick gave me some feedback, question answered :)

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #3,404 of 3,445
Since there is no separate threads, wondering if anyone had the HM-901U, or tried the musical amp card?

Edit : @flinkenick
 gave me some feedback, question answered :)

I got the musical amp card a couple of weeks back.

Aside from the heat i liked it and the minibox gold compared to the balanced amp card from elfidelity.

Primary drawback of the musical amp card is that it gets too hot. Aside from that i'd rather use it and the minibox gold. Even via balanced, the elfidelity balanced couldn't approach the fullness and body of the other 2 cards. The soundstage is better using balanced, but you won't even notice.

I have yet to hear any other card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back