HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Jan 25, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #2,026 of 3,445
  I just got 2 of the TRRS connectors from a few pages back. Sadly, they are magnetic, very much so, so whomever tested them, didn't use a magnet. There is a lot of ferrous metal in the construction. 

Was it the white one I posted with the adaptor? Didn't know that. Didn't check after getting it back from re-termination. How bad is it?

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #2,027 of 3,445
Got my 901 back and the new unit and battery is perfectly fine. Updated with the latest firmware and was shipped to me exceptionally fast. They received my old unit on Tuesday and DHL came with the new one two days later (I'm from Singapore). Customer service is really excellent throughout the whole process.

Noticeable difference between the older unit and new one would be the slightly different scroll wheel. It's darker and now looks the same as the one my friend has that is from the newer batches. Screen protector is better cut to fit the screen as well. Also, the volume seems to be louder. Used to listen around 4.5 and now 4 is a tad loud already.

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #2,028 of 3,445
  Was it the white one I posted with the adaptor? Didn't know that. Didn't check after getting it back from re-termination. How bad is it?

It has the black plastic shell that snap over the plug, a right angle one. On this one, the terminals are attracted to a magnet like they were steel. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #2,029 of 3,445
  Got my 901 back and the new unit and battery is perfectly fine. Updated with the latest firmware and was shipped to me exceptionally fast. They received my old unit on Tuesday and DHL came with the new one two days later (I'm from Singapore). Customer service is really excellent throughout the whole process.

Noticeable difference between the older unit and new one would be the slightly different scroll wheel. It's darker and now looks the same as the one my friend has that is from the newer batches. Screen protector is better cut to fit the screen as well. Also, the volume seems to be louder. Used to listen around 4.5 and now 4 is a tad loud already.

Wow that is incredible customer service! Did they ever tell you what the root of the problem was?

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #2,031 of 3,445

Yes, these are very magnetic, which is Not what the seller on ebay said. 

I ordered some Pailiacs in TRRS and will report back. 

It would be nice if companies would offer connectors for their products. Not everyone is going to buy their IC's and often people may want to reterminate or have a phone reterminated and with wire of their choice. If companies that sell amps or daps that use less common terminations, it would be a gracious thing to do. iRiver is going to 2.5 TRRS for the AK240. While I don't think at 2400 dollars the 240 is going to fly off the shelf, have access to good quality 2.5 TRRS would be of great help to some. Having good quality 3.5 TRRS would be of great help. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #2,032 of 3,445
  Wow that is incredible customer service! Did they ever tell you what the root of the problem was?

I knew what the problem was. My first 901 was from the earlier batches. August last year I think. Scroll wheel kept coming out. They offered to replace the whole thing including battery instead of just sending me a scroll wheel replacement. Which makes sense. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #2,033 of 3,445
In case anyone is interested, I'm selling my Balanced amp card here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/702734/fs-mint-hifiman-balanced-amp-card-for-hm-901-for-sale
gs1000.gif

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #2,035 of 3,445
I got the Pailiccs. The center pin is steel. Now I have wasted 20 dollars on four TRRS. I have a few non magnetic so that is the end of my try to find non magnetic. These are supposed to be Pailiccs but the plugs do not have Pailiccs as they should. I have some Pailiacs in TRS and they have the brand name on the case and they are not magnetic. If the center pin was a ground I wouldn't care but it is the left channel therefore the left channel will be conducting through steel while the right through brass plated with gold and the other paths are brass also. Nice looking TRRS but . . . 

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #2,036 of 3,445
  I got the Pailiccs. The center pin is steel....Nice looking TRRS but . . . 

Bummer.

BTW the Ranko TRRS also has a magnetic center pin. Due to the nature of TRRS plugs they all seem have steel center pins probably for durability reasons. It's alot of stress on the center pin to hold the whole sandwich together through many in-out cycles. Maybe Oyaide will make one someday...(don't hold your breath).

On a lighter note: did you hear the one about the new +$2500 AK240 DAC with a 2.5mm TRRS LO jack? Just imagine how much steel that tiny pencil dick plug has...
tongue.gif

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #2,037 of 3,445

Bummer.

BTW the Ranko TRRS also has a magnetic center pin. Due to the nature of TRRS plugs they all seem have steel center pins probably for durability reasons. It's alot of stress on the center pin to hold the whole sandwich together through many in-out cycles. Maybe Oyaide will make one someday...(don't hold your breath).

On a lighter note: did you hear the one about the new +$2500 AK240 DAC with a 2.5mm TRRS LO jack? Just imagine how much steel that tiny pencil dick plug has...
tongue.gif

Yes, a 2.5 TRRS = stupid and very un hi end. Imagine snapping that off in the socket. Nightmare. There are nonmagnetic TRRS. HiFiman uses them and the couple I have are but hard to find, obviously. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #2,039 of 3,445
That is the problem, there is no brand and I bought them at an electronics store where I used to buy all my stuff, 7 years ago. Also, there is a steel sleeve around them but it is pressed on and I make a cut in it with my dremel and it comes off. Then I have a male TRRS and no middle pin of steel as they use nothing magnetic on the actual pin but with the steel sleeve, it is there as the ground but again, I take it off. I will find an image of it. 

Here it is:

No gold but no magnetism either. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #2,040 of 3,445
jamato, sell us some... I use HICON from UK and my DIY friend said it should not be magnetic....but now I am worried

Users who are viewing this thread

Back