HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Jan 10, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #1,876 of 3,445
  Do u know if it will be possible to dock the player and use the headphone out ? I am asking because it could be also possible that they player as dac and pure line out.

I am finding out. Also, the dock may be delayed to make sure everything is interfacing correctly. 

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #1,877 of 3,445
  I am finding out. Also, the dock may be delayed to make sure everything is interfacing correctly. 

It would be so great if that works. Perfect rig for home use. As for the hiss I mentioned last time. I think my cable was broken. So when I changed the cable the hissing decreased by 80 - 90%. So far I am very happy and it sound insanely good. There is still a little bit of a background noise but I think this is caused by the standard card. I will get the balanced card soon

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #1,878 of 3,445
  Guys, I have a problem with extracting DFF files from ISO file. Not sure if you guys have experienced the same...I have an ISO that is dual layer which contains both stereo and 5.1 tracks, so I use the sacd_extract program to extract...Command used:

sacd_extract -2 -p -i"SACD.iso

But the exported DFF files wont play on HM-901, any tips?

Also, is it normal to hear more hiss when playing DFF?

Don't think DVD Audio Extractor works with SACD though.

FYI - Foobar2000 easily converts SACD.iso's into individual FLAC files (tracks) complete with tag info.

http://www.foobar2000.org/

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #1,879 of 3,445

FYI - Foobar2000 easily converts SACD.iso's into individual FLAC files (tracks) complete with tag info.

http://www.foobar2000.org/

Thank you, burtomr.

Foobar is cool. You can also convert DFF/DSF to FLAC if you have the plugins installed.

I have noticed that HM-802 is also DSD ready and it is equipped with 8740 chips. I have learnt that this needs to convert to PCM format.

Does anyone know if this is the case for HM-901 also? I don't have a large DSD collection, I am just geeky enough to find out  if I have a DSD native DAP yet.....

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #1,880 of 3,445
Thank you, burtomr.

Foobar is cool. You can also convert DFF/DSF to FLAC if you have the plugins installed.

My 'issue' with SACD's and DVD-A's is they typically contain Multi-channel tracks that you can't listen to with stereo headphones anyway, and they take up HUGE amounts of memory. So, I like to extract the 2 channel stereo. It's usually 24/88hz and typically ~1gb...much easier on memory. Making your DAP do the conversion process is counterproductive since you have to store the huge file (3 to 5gb's) AND use up the battery power of the DAP to do the processing. Seems better to me to do this BEFORE I store and play it on the DAP. Does this make sense...?

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #1,881 of 3,445

My 'issue' with SACD's and DVD-A's is they typically contain Multi-channel tracks that you can't listen to with stereo headphones anyway, and they take up HUGE amounts of memory. So, I like to extract the 2 channel stereo. It's usually 24/88hz and typically ~1gb...much easier on memory. Making your DAP do the conversion process is counterproductive since you have to store the huge file (3 to 5gb's) AND use up the battery power of the DAP to do the processing. Seems better to me to do this BEFORE I store and play it on the DAP. Does this make sense...?

Absolutely makes sense.  The process is much easier and faster on the computer, then you just add the file ready material to your DAP.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #1,884 of 3,445
I WOULD not run IEMs balanced. That is a very bad idea with the 901 and you could damage your CIEMs.

Mim does it, apparently his SE5way works like a charm. Why it would damage the ciem? This high sensitivity, low impedance ciems can get too much power, higher than they can handle?
  Do you know where I can get a balanced cable for ciems to use with 901?

Many aftermarket cable makers. Like DHC, Toxic Cables, plussound etc.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #1,885 of 3,445
Mim does it, apparently his SE5way works like a charm. Why it would damage the ciem? This high sensitivity, low impedance ciems can get too much power, higher than they can handle?

If you unplug while its still on, you can blow them. I would cross check with Hifiman and not take Mim's or my word for it.

Suffice it to say, balanced mode on the HM-901 was not designed for ultra sensitive, highly efficient CIEMs. Again, don't ask me, ask Hifiman. If you are dead set on CIEMs, then they have an IEM card for just that. If you need to run balanced/single-ended, there is a switch on the 901 which was designed for just that. My 2 cents.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #1,886 of 3,445
If you unplug while its still on, you can blow them. I would cross check with Hifiman and not take Mim's or my word for it.

Suffice it to say, balanced mode on the HM-901 was not designed for ultra sensitive, highly efficient CIEMs. Again, don't ask me, ask Hifiman. If you are dead set on CIEMs, then they have an IEM card for just that. If you need to run balanced/single-ended, there is a switch on the 901 which was designed for just that. My 2 cents.

Yes, but I think you still can run them in single ended with the balanced card. You don't have to run the balanced card just in balanced mode. Sure, it doesn't have the power when runing single ended but CIEM don't need that much...

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #1,887 of 3,445
  Do you know where I can get a balanced cable for ciems to use with 901?

You (or someone with soldering skills) can make a balanced cable from any 'stock' cable by basically changing the plug from TRS (3 conductors) to TRRS (4 conductors) which is compatible with the HiFiman jack. You don't need to buy a whole new cable unless you really want to.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #1,888 of 3,445
Yes, but I think you still can run them in single ended with the balanced card. You don't have to run the balanced card just in balanced mode. Sure, it doesn't have the power when runing single ended but CIEM don't need that much...

I just said that.

Maybe I read his request wrong though:

I THOUGHT he was asking running his CIEMs in BALANCED MODE (balanced card in balanced mode)? If so, that is a VERY VERY bad idea.

If not, then he doesn't need a cable as we both mentioned, just use normal mode.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #1,889 of 3,445
I just said that.

Maybe I read his request wrong though:

I THOUGHT he was asking running his CIEMs in BALANCED MODE (balanced card in balanced mode)? If so, that is a VERY VERY bad idea.

If not, then he doesn't need a cable as we both mentioned, just use normal mode.

No you're right. I just wanted to add my 2 cent's :).  Single ended will be enough for me, as an HM-901 owner.

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #1,890 of 3,445
Actually, I asked without knowing exactly what I need, coz I'm new to audio and this dap as well, I spend most of time on iems, however, sometime I also use fullsizes, so I think a balanced card is enough for both. Maybe when my wallet recover, I'll give iem card a try xD
What I didn't understand was whether I had to use a trrs or just a normal 3.5 jack would be fine in normal mode.

Anw, thanks all you guys :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back