Hifiman HM-801 DAC performance
May 17, 2010 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

zzffnn

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi everyone! I have a Hifiman HM 801 on my way and am wondering how does its DAC compare to other DACs (e.g., Stello DA100, gamma 2, Audio-gd compass, Ibasso D10, pico, ect)? Owners of HM 801, please share your thoughts.

I will use the HM 801 line out to my AMB M3 to drive ATH-AD2000s; hopefully this combo will outperform my Compass.  At the same time, if I get a gamma 2 and feed to M3 & AD2000s, will I do better?

When I mentioned Benchmark Dac1 and Lavry DA-10 in the context of HM 801 to Fang, he answered :"I don't think they will make huge difference comparing to HM-801. This is just my opinion after we did a comprehensive test between different DACs." Is the 801 really that good? Has anyone done such test?

Thank you in advance!

May 17, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 24
I am especially interested in the comparison between the Hifiman and the Audio-GD DACs since both use the PCM1704 DAC chip.

Anyone???
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 18, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 24

Quote:
I am especially interested in the comparison between the Hifiman and the Audio-GD DACs since both use the PCM1704 DAC chip.

Anyone???
very_evil_smiley.gif

I've compared the Hifiman (line-out to amp) against the Reference one DAC for an hour or so.  Absolutely no comparison, the RE-1 is in another league and toasted the Hifiman.  Even though they use the same PCM1704, the RE-1 had way larger soundstage, extended detailed highs, & smoothness.

IMO, they're in a league around the Pico Dac and Apogee mini dac.  The Hifiman sounds great portable-wise but there's no time for it with higher end dacs around the house :)

May 18, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 24

Quote:
I've compared the Hifiman (line-out to amp) against the Reference one DAC for an hour or so.  Absolutely no comparison, the RE-1 is in another league and toasted the Hifiman.  Even though they use the same PCM1704, the RE-1 had way larger soundstage, detail, & smoothness.

LOL, it should, the Reference one has 8 of those PCM1704's. 4 for each channel.

May 19, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamahome77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've compared the Hifiman (line-out to amp) against the Reference one DAC for an hour or so.  Absolutely no comparison, the RE-1 is in another league and toasted the Hifiman.  Even though they use the same PCM1704, the RE-1 had way larger soundstage, extended detailed highs, & smoothness.

IMO, they're in a league around the Pico Dac and Apogee mini dac.  The Hifiman sounds great portable-wise but there's no time for it with higher end dacs around the house :)

No doubt.
Actually when I said Audio-GD DACs I was thinking along the lines of similarly priced ones (DAC19, DAC 3.. etc)

May 20, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
tamahome77, Did you mean that HM 801 is in a league around Pico and Apogee?

I have the HM-801, Pico DAC, and the Grace m902, and use them all on a regular basis.  Despite what the RMAA naysayers say (most have not even heard or even seen an HM-801 in real life) the HM-801 has noticeably better sound quality when listening to REAL headphones with REAL music. 

The Detail and Soundstage of the HM-801 is on another level.

That said, the HM-801's USB input is a big let down, which is not surprising considering it's not an optimal straight to I2S implementation.  It sounds only marginally better than the HeadAmp Pico DAC, if at all.  The HM-801's best performance is with FLAC files on SDHC cards played internally.

-Ed

May 20, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #15 of 24
You can hot swap the SDHC cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back