HiFiMAN HM-650 Review by mark2410
Jun 1, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #17 of 32
After several months passed by, can you comment about the sound between HM650 and Studio3rd Anniversary?
Which one sounds warmer, more detail, better soundstage & separation?

warmer, thats easy, it the 650.  comparativly the 650 is warm and smooth, the Studio is much cooler, dryer, crisper.

soundstage, well the 650 is the more smooth, intimate so in scale id maybe give it to the Studio, neither is really "better" though just different.

Seperation, the 650 is good but its less explicit about things, its sound sig is the more mellow whereas the Studio is the more transparent and explecit so has more clean intrument seperation.

still overall both are excellent so its not really a  case of one being "better" than the other.  they are just differently flavoured.

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #19 of 32
Can anyone tell the sound signature comparison between HiFiMAN HM-650 vs HiFiMAN HM-802 ?
They are both have Dual-Wolfson WM8740 DACs.
I'm interested to know about their detail, separation, soundstage.

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #20 of 32

Thank you for the fine review mark2410, it was both enjoyable to read and informative. Looking forward to receiving my HM-802 even more now. After 2+ years of almost daily use/abuse my HM-601 finally stopped working i figured the HM-802 might give me some of the magic the HM-601 gave me perhaps even a little bit more.

Nov 24, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #22 of 32
I'm using it with discrete card v1.2.
That sounds really wonderful as much as can comparable to mojo in terms of resolution.
Better imaging, more refined, having more balance on mojo, though.

Actually i bought this one after reading this review.
And i can tell that i totally agree with mark2410's very objective review

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #23 of 32
  I'm using it with discrete card v1.2.
That sounds really wonderful as much as can comparable to mojo.

Actually i bought this one after reading this review.
And i can tell that i totally agree with mark2410's very objective review

my thanks good sir, and yeah its still what i use most days, especialy with its hand warming tallents in winter time

Dec 20, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #24 of 32
  my thanks good sir, and yeah its still what i use most days, especialy with its hand warming tallents in winter time

I totally agree with your review,too. I'm very curious about what other amp cards can do and i purchased musical amp card(aka discrete card,am i wrong?). Unfortunately, my card will arrive friday. According to Hifiman, musical amp card's hand warming talents are much more improved, compared to the other amp cards 
normal_smile .gif
 That's a good new.

@sarang-i What are the differences between power ii and discrete card? Is it's sound much better than that of Power ii?
I hope your former card was Power ii

Dec 20, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #25 of 32
Yes notable difference is there.
Sound stages quite same, but seperation and dynamism, also bottom and top end slightly better, especially bass slam noticeably enhanced on musical card

Jan 2, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #26 of 32
I've recently acquired a used HM-650 DAP and I wanted to update the device's firmware (it's still on 2.001). Unfortunately the only link I found on the official Hifiman website seems broken/no longer valid.
I'm aware that this is not a new product, but perhaps someone here could share a working link for the TAICHI 2.004 firmware? I already contacted Hifiman support, but I figured I might try here as well.

Jan 10, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #28 of 32
Mar 14, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #29 of 32
@TeamHiFiMAN I managed to install the latest software, but I keep having a very annoying issue with my device. When I turn on the player and start playing music, the playback speed is higher than it's supposed to. Basically it plays 2 or even 3 times faster.
Removing and inserting the SD card doesn't help, only resetting the device seems to have an effect. It's just very annoying, since I have to do it almost every time I want to use the player. I also tried memory cards with different speeds, both SD and micro SD, but it doesn't make any difference.
Have you ever heard about such issues with HM-650? Is there a way to fix this?

Mar 14, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #30 of 32
@TeamHiFiMAN I managed to install the latest software, but I keep having a very annoying issue with my device. When I turn on the player and start playing music, the playback speed is higher than it's supposed to. Basically it plays 2 or even 3 times faster.
Removing and inserting the SD card doesn't help, only resetting the device seems to have an effect. It's just very annoying, since I have to do it almost every time I want to use the player. I also tried memory cards with different speeds, both SD and micro SD, but it doesn't make any difference.
Have you ever heard about such issues with HM-650? Is there a way to fix this?
Thats really odd, try reinstalling the firmware, ive never heard about anyone encountering that issue before.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back