HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Dec 17, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #376 of 2,647
I've been enjoying these cans a good deal recently. Yes, they require a good amount of power though perhaps not as much as some claim. I have driven them to plentiful volume with a Phonitor 2, a Headroom Max, and even an NAD preamp. They are on the heavy side, but comfortable overall. Great detail retrieval and they don't stumble when EQ is added (subbass boost). :)

Dec 18, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #377 of 2,647
I've been enjoying these cans a good deal recently. Yes, they require a good amount of power though perhaps not as much as some claim. I have driven them to plentiful volume with a Phonitor 2, a Headroom Max, and even an NAD preamp. They are on the heavy side, but comfortable overall. Great detail retrieval and they don't stumble when EQ is added (subbass boost). :)
The v2's are way more efficient then the OG He6 but if you want basshead level bass you do need power

Dec 18, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #378 of 2,647
Hi, guys.

I really dig this can's sound.
I had the opportunity to listen to them through a balanced DAC (Soncoz LA-QXD1) and a balanced AMP (Monolith THX 887) and it was an awesome experience.
I sold all the items, except the cans.
Now I'm trying to find an upgrade path to extract every bit of the HE6seV2's driver.

First of all, should I upgrade my DAC or AMP first?
Another Monolith THX 887 is coming my way.
I don't have a balanced DAC right now.
I'm thinking about buying Schiit Bifrost 2.
Unfortunately, I can't really try gear and return, as I'm Brazilian. Also I have a budget of ~700 USD for the start of the next year.

I also have in mind the Lyr3/BF2 stack.
I don't know if Lyr3 has the juice to run the HE6seV2 and if it synergizes well.
Just trying to have a upgrade line settled.

Thanks for reading,

Gui.
I would go with the jot2 instead of the lyr and run it balanced, singxer SA-1 and flux labs fa 10 are even better options

Dec 18, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #379 of 2,647
I have a Schiit Asgard 3 amp. Would that have enough power to run the HE6se? I currently have the Ananda which I like, it hear that the HE6se is a step up potentially.

Dec 18, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #380 of 2,647
The Bifrost 2 with a Monoprice Liquid Platinum is the right answer for me. LP has plenty of juice in the powered outputs, and going from decent DACs (Liquid Spark and SMSL SU-8) to the BF2 was something of a revelation.
I’d agree with this. Liquid platinum drives the HE6se quite well. I was just listening to this combo yesterday. And the prices you see for the LP used these days make it an exceptional value. I’ve not done any tube rolling of the LP, but I’ve heard that can be fun too!

@Guipnox Bem vindo ao club HE6se, amigo! Parabens

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #381 of 2,647
I’d agree with this. Liquid platinum drives the HE6se quite well. I was just listening to this combo yesterday. And the prices you see for the LP used these days make it an exceptional value. I’ve not done any tube rolling of the LP, but I’ve heard that can be fun too!

Tube rolling the LP is fun although it seems to be less impactful than tube rolling an OTL amp like the Crack. One thing that did make a difference for me was upgrading the capacitors. It was already great, but the mod made noticeable improvements in SQ.

Dec 18, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #382 of 2,647

Obrigado, amigo!

I'm still trying to decide if I should just get another amp (besides Monolith THX) or Schiit Bifrost 2.
I think I'm gonna stick to upgrading my DAC first as I don't really want to mess around with other DACs before going to BF2 (I've seen it's awesome and almost every user I see here and in other forums have it).
I can test Schiit Bifrost 2 + Monolith THX 887 first, then look for upgrades, if I decide it's necessary.
$700 for a DAC is no joke for me, but I'll do my best to buy it by January.

Dec 18, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #383 of 2,647
I have a Schiit Asgard 3 amp. Would that have enough power to run the HE6se? I currently have the Ananda which I like, it hear that the HE6se is a step up potentially.
Asgard should have enough power. You may consider an upgrade later.

Dec 18, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #385 of 2,647
Keep in mind the power is not the only thing that matters. I have an amp that puts out more than 4 watts per channel @ 56 Ohms and gets these plenty loud. Sound wise, it was nothing special, to my ears. There are a lot of folks with a decent amp that end up selling these on.

But with the right amp... :)

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #386 of 2,647
The v2's are way more efficient then the OG He6 but if you want basshead level bass you do need power
Umm.. Do you have a pointer to that? If so what's the number? I found 83 and 83.5 on the v1 and v2. That's the same as the 6 screw HE-6.

I do own the v1, have had a 6 screw in my system for about 75 hours, and a v2 also. They are near the same setting on my amp and match the written specs.

Dec 19, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #387 of 2,647
Umm.. Do you have a pointer to that? If so what's the number? I found 83 and 83.5 on the v1 and v2. That's the same as the 6 screw HE-6.

I do own the v1, have had a 6 screw in my system for about 75 hours, and a v2 also. They are near the same setting on my amp and match the written specs.
I only had a OG 4 screw that was a pain in the ass to power, but you are very lucky to have a 6 screw that was. For the bass I use EQ and a crap lokius between both I can get thumping bass

Dec 19, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #388 of 2,647
I only had a OG 4 screw that was a pain in the ass to power, but you are very lucky to have a 6 screw that was. For the bass I use EQ and a crap lokius between both I can get thumping bass
Actually I remember from the past that the 4 screw was harder to drive. And at 79.6 published at DIY Audio Heaven - that could easily be heard as needing more juice. I think the Susvara is about 80, and I know that needs more clicks than the 6se v1 to drive.

Still have the 4? Quite rare and treasured...

Dec 19, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #390 of 2,647
Keep in mind the power is not the only thing that matters. I have an amp that puts out more than 4 watts per channel @ 56 Ohms and gets these plenty loud. Sound wise, it was nothing special, to my ears. There are a lot of folks with a decent amp that end up selling these on.

But with the right amp... :)

People get so hung up on numbers. Subjective enjoyment doesn't work that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back