Hifiman HE6-SE
Feb 20, 2024 at 12:52 AM Post #3,841 of 3,898
Exactly the point that I was trying to make. I was just trying to encourage people to read up on class D amps driving headphones. I have tried a Class AB speaker amp on different headphones and got wildly different results dependent on impedance and voltage requirements. I have decided that I prefer to stay with the design parameters of the amps that I use with my headphones.

I would also question whether a $130 amp, designed for driving something completely different, is a good choice for $1500-$2000 headphones such as the Tungsten. I'm not saying go crazy, but amps from Topping, Holo, Ferrum, iFi, Schiit and others are out there that can drive these and are designed to drive them. I would say the same for the HE6.

Especially when there is the potential for damage to your hearing because of the way D class amps are designed and you will not hear it to know that it is being damaged. It's fine for someone on a forum to say I did it and it seems fine, I'd want proof that it is ok from the amp designer.

The author of the post I linked acknowledged that some D Class amps have different filtering such as those designed by Bruno Putzys. Fosi is using TI chips with swappable opamps. They are not designing the amplifier circuit, TI are, and there is not a mention of using these with headphones or any data on any impedance outside of 2,4 and 8 ohms on either the TI datasheet or the Fosi website, nor of the filtering.

I'm sure the Fosi is a fine D class amp for speakers for $130, but it isn't designed to drive headphones. I'm not anti class D, my previous 3 speaker amps were class D.

I also wouldn't trust a Hifiman adapter designed to work with the HE6SE which is 50 ohms and the Tungsten which is 135W and 155W depending on whether it is is single or double sided. Most here are not going to be swapping resistors in the adapter with any confidence they have the right value.

Again, to those that want to try this, you do you, but only if you know and understand the risks to both your headphones which are replaceable and your hearing which isn't.
Do you mind explaining "Especially when there is the potential for damage to your hearing because of the way D class amps are designed and you will not hear it to know that it is being damaged. "? e.g., damage the hearing with high frequency (created due to mismatch impedance) that cannot be heard?

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #3,842 of 3,898
Do you mind explaining "Especially when there is the potential for damage to your hearing because of the way D class amps are designed and you will not hear it to know that it is being damaged. "? e.g., damage the hearing with high frequency (created due to mismatch impedance) that cannot be heard?
Yes. Class D uses the driver to form part of the filter. Using the wrong impedance driver affects that filter. The article I linked to explains it better than I can.

Dixter is trying to combat that with resistors, but most of us aren't electrical engineers and I'm not sure I trust someone else to work out the math for me.

Just because you can't hear it, doesn't mean that it isn't affecting your body. You would still get sound pressure in your ears, especially when using headphones.

Think of it like this, we can't see UV light, but it can damage our bodies and eyes in high doses. Same is true with ultrasonic frequencies.

Feb 20, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #3,843 of 3,898
Human hearing can absolutely be damaged by sounds outside of audibility (below 20Hz and above 20kHz). As with audible sound, it depends on the intensity and exposure time. The fact that sound would be outside of audibility makes it even more dangerous. Having your ears attached to headphones generating ultrasonic frequencies while you've got control of a potentiometer seems like a recipe for disaster IMO. You would have zero clue how badly you're damaging your hearing.

Yes. Class D uses the driver to form part of the filter. Using the wrong impedance driver affects that filter. The article I linked to explains it better than I can.

Dixter is trying to combat that with resistors, but most of us aren't electrical engineers and I'm not sure I trust someone else to work out the math for me.
Yup. And safety aside, I've had enough experience with mods and diy to know that adding passive components (like resistors) affects sound quality. I also know that engineers spend a sizable amount of time selecting components for their sound quality (in addition to cost and reliability). I'm not so cocky that I think I can add components into the signal chain without altering the sound quality for the worse. All around, the speaker amp route just does not seem like a good idea (for me at least).

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #3,846 of 3,898
Had no idea. With the Tungsten getting so much hype, I mistakenly thought the double-sided thing was rare or new. Do you know if double-sided (or is it "two-way"?) magnets are pretty widespread in the planar world and/or across Hifiman's lineup?

Pretty widespread and the original design — from HE-5 (and LE), to HE-6 and HE-500.

Within Hifiman’s flagships today, HE1000SE and Susvara are also double sided and symmetrical (certain others are asymmetrical, with smaller magnets on one side)

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #3,847 of 3,898
different phone cables clearly make a difference here.
When used with a He560 (stock) cable the sound is noticeably duller/hazier with a more compressed stage.
My favorite: GUCraftsman 6N all copper on amazon. Well worth the price to me. No dullness or haze and no harshness. Big improvement over the stock cable.
:)

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #3,849 of 3,898
I use the audiophileninja cables. Tough, cheap, made in USA, and just as good as the high end cables.

Mar 4, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #3,850 of 3,898
I also use Audiophile Ninja cables. For about 6 years I tested different conductor types (pure silver, SPC, OCC, PCOCC, etc..) and connectors to find my ideal cables. I ended up making a lot of cables over the years that were better than anything I could find in the lower dollar cable market (under $300 or so). About 6 months ago I got an Audiophile ninja cable, and now that is all I'm using for almost all of my headphones. They are just about ideal for my HE6se, and I don't feel the need to keep experimenting on different cables.

Mar 4, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #3,851 of 3,898
I listened to the Hifiman HE1000V2 and the HE1000 Stealth. Both are very nice headphones.

But i wonder, if i should try the HE6SE or HE6SE V2. Did some of you compare those headphones? Is it worth to try them? Are they comparable to the HE1000 or Arya headphones?

Mar 4, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #3,852 of 3,898
The HE6SEV2 sounds different compared to the HE1000 V2.... the HE6SEv2 is harder to drive but if you have the power they sound very very good... the HE1000V2 is more open and the sound stage is wider.... they complement each other very well...

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #3,853 of 3,898
he6se is less bright than either, and its also a little more forward especially compared with the v2. its a little fuller sounding, notes are a little bigger but also not as resolving and less space in between on the he6sev2 vs the hekv2 and stealth. soundstage is going to be larger in each dimension on the hek and stealth.

he6sev2 is a little more lush and might be more engaging for some people, but the hek options are still musical and engaging as well and they all share a similar hifiman sound so differences are pretty small.

but from a technical perspective the hekv2 and stealth are going to be a step up in just about every way. but the he6 is super close technically and offers a little more even Frequency response in my opinion.

i could see someone liking the he-6 more from a value perspective, or even as a preference. but if you want the technically better headphone regardless of price and dont might a little bit brighter sound the hek options might be the way to go

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #3,855 of 3,898
Wild question for y'all: I just plugged an LM4562 into the little powerhouse amp feeding my V2, and VOILA ! It sounds terrific, primarily because I don't need to EQ the 2K trough !! Unfortunately, I'm now missing key HF elements I enjoy from my standby NJM5532DD. I wonder if any on this board have relevant experience with any of the 4562, 49720, or 49860 variants out there. This is a great-sounding chip, but the hi-hats, string overtones, and live atmosphere are greatly suppressed [no "air"]. I would REALLY love to ditch my EQ apks. I've read too many reviews about the sound signature variation in this chip family, so thought I'd start here to see if anyone has a recommendation !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back