Hifiman HE6-SE
Aug 9, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #3,721 of 3,895
Sounds better with the grills on. Better details, tighter deeper more refined bass.

Absolutely. Mr B wouldn't put the wrong grills on his headphones either. He is an audiophile.
My view is very different:

I own or have owned 9 HFM cans. I marvel at (most) of the drivers, but the rest of it - haphazard, low budget, lacking real effort, as if the driver is the whole thing.

* To my astonishment/disappointment after 25 years of not fooling with aftermarket cables found their cables to be audibly inferior. Not so with Senn, DCA, Audeze cables.
* the stock pads (round cup models) are not very good (400, 500, 6 SE v1 and v2 particularly)
* it took users to find that the stators of the 500 and OG 6 had big problems with reflections and cancellations (fuzzor mod) - which seems to be in part at least why they got into the stealth technology
* Stock rear screens (round cups) for the 400/500/6 models increase reverberations which I find audible in particular on finger snaps and wood blocks - which isn't on the recording played on other equipment.
* the cups tend to be acoustically alive, so have to be treated to stop it
* Headbands break, and the XS, 6 SE v2 are clunky and slip off easily. Like the headband on the HEX v2/HEK's/Susvara, not the Ananda.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #3,722 of 3,895
I owned the ZMF Ori twice. Muddies the midbass, cuts the upper mids, and has a very small sound stage. But you've got them, so give it a shot.
Thanks, this is what I’m looking for. I’m looking forward to hearing them again

Aug 11, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #3,723 of 3,895
Made for HE6SE

Aug 18, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #3,724 of 3,895
Got my HE6se V2’s yesterday and gave them a quick listen on my Dave/HMS/Silver Fox. I must say that these headphones are serious impressive. They hit a bit harder than my HEKse’s with a little more sub bass extension. They don’t have the HEKse’s vast sound field, but that is not why I bought these.

The HE6se’s hit hard, have outstanding bass, a clean and nuanced midrange, and a inoffensive treble. Treble clarity is also top notch. More listening and updates to come.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #3,726 of 3,895
<snip>I've been enjoying a pair of 6se v1 for the past couple weeks or so at moderate volume. Sounded exactly how I like with my THX 789; dry, clinical, super detailed, dynamic, lightning fast, and with excellent pin-point imaging.

When my power amplifier came in (Crown XLS 1502), I was eager to test how much subbass the 6se could output. So I switched on my subbass boost EQ, and after a few heavy bass drops, I was floored!

So per your comments in the Sundara thread at about the same time as this comment you didn’t think much of the Sundara on the THX 789, but really like it on your Crown 1502. So, since I don’t have a Crown 1502, it shouldn’t be such a mystery that I found the Sundara uninteresting.

Also, we see that you really liked the HE-6 SE until you blew it up.

I have nothing to add except to state in this thread that in my system and in two others my HE-6 SE outperformed the two Sundaras I heard (the latest model) with ease, and my current all time HFM ranking goes:

Susvara
HEK Stealth
HEK v2
HEK v3
Arya Stealth
HE-6 SE
HE-500
HE-6 6 screw
Arya v2
HEX v2
Ananda Stealth
Arya v1
XS
Ananda v2
ananda v1
Sundara
6 more planars not worth listing.

Aug 26, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #3,727 of 3,895
So per your comments in the Sundara thread at about the same time as this comment you didn’t think much of the Sundara on the THX 789, but really like it on your Crown 1502. So, since I don’t have a Crown 1502, it shouldn’t be such a mystery that I found the Sundara uninteresting.

I have nothing to add except to state in this thread that in my system and in two others my HE-6 SE outperformed the two Sundaras I heard (the latest model) with ease, and my current all time HFM ranking goes:

Susvara
HEK Stealth
HEK v2
HEK v3
Arya Stealth
HE-6 SE
HE-500
HE-6 6 screw
Arya v2
HEX v2
Ananda Stealth
Arya v1
XS
Ananda v2
ananda v1
Sundara
I don't know why you're doing this. You came to the Sundara thread to compare it to the 6se, which makes sense, but you did it with a rather contentious/defensive tone, and then now you're pulling me over to this thread to resume the discussion. I'm not going to bounce back-and-forth between two threads just to discuss this topic. The audiences for each thread are not the same, nor are most of them willing to bounce between two threads to follow our trains of thought. Therefore, I will reply to your comment (this one here) on the other thread, and I will not resume discussion here.

Edit: for anyone is interested in following the discussion, it is over here.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #3,728 of 3,895

Susvara
HEK Stealth
HEK v2
HEK v3
Arya Stealth
HE-6 SE
HE-500
HE-6 6 screw
Arya v2
HEX v2
Ananda Stealth
Arya v1
XS
Ananda v2
ananda v1
Sundara
I am JEALOUS of the amount of your HiFiman experiences! :smile:

Sep 3, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #3,729 of 3,895
I definitely agree about the SR-009. I always found the bass of the HE-6 to be extremely overrated personally. When properly amped it's not bad, but noticeably worse and weaker than ZMF, Audeze, and the SR-007/SR-009 (though if I'm using an R2R DAC or any lower end DAC then HE-6 bass is not weaker/softer than the Stax, it's so system dependent).

Electrostats are still evolving too. MrSpeakers has thankfully entered the mix. But yeah they require expensive proprietary amps that are useless anywhere else in the audio chain. That was actually part of the reason why I sold my SR-007 setup, but then I found all planar magnetics and dynamics to be way too far behind, they'll never catch up to electrostats I think due to inherent technological weaknesses. I don't foresee any amount of evolution bringing a non-electrostat up to a properly driven SR-009, but indeed getting the SR-009 to that level is not just expensive but annoying (I'm personally annoyed by my SR-009 journey right now lol).
Here is a possible softball for you - Rall SR or CA?

Sep 7, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #3,730 of 3,895
Would anyone interested in buying my Hifiman He6v2? I bought some months ago. Since then I've upgraded the original headband with the much more comfortable (in my opinion) suspension strap and also upgraded to a much thicker perforated earpads. If interested please send me message. Thank you.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.png
    2.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.png
    3.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Sep 8, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #3,731 of 3,895
Plenty to catch up on since I visited last. Got a new cable finally. 4 x 19awg DHC Molecule silver/copper hybrid. Customised with furutech CF & rhodium 3.5mm jacks.

Attachments

• 4BCD9A72-2DB5-4A0E-8BD3-8AEACA7382F8.jpeg
    4BCD9A72-2DB5-4A0E-8BD3-8AEACA7382F8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Sep 9, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #3,732 of 3,895
DHC Molecule silver/copper hybrid.
DHC makes a nice cable, and IME silver/copper hybrids can work really well with the HE6se v2. Enjoy!

Sep 9, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #3,733 of 3,895
Plenty to catch up on since I visited last. Got a new cable finally. 4 x 19awg DHC Molecule silver/copper hybrid. Customised with furutech CF & rhodium 3.5mm jacks.
I love DHC cables and that's a nice one. What sonic changes are you hearing compared to stock?

Sep 9, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #3,734 of 3,895
I love DHC cables and that's a nice one. What sonic changes are you hearing compared to stock?
Well, someone sold me one DHC cable which matches very well with my Hekse (wink, wink :) )

Sep 10, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #3,735 of 3,895
It’s a very nice cable. I’ve had an aftermarket cable for awhile already and I’m a self confessed ‘not a cable person’ so I’m not yet sure what differences may exist yet. I’ll give it a good listen over the coming days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back