Hifiman HE6-SE
Apr 22, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #2,941 of 3,903
In case AudioScienceReview's existence didn't prove that mathematical wind-pissing is irrelevant, my Ragnarok serves 15WPC into 50 ohms balanced, and is being fed by a 4V balanced DAC.

To get to my happy 85db listening level, I have to set it to a gain of 8 and run the volume at 3:00-4:00. Granted, it has a stepped attenuator, so it's not quite like cranking a regular amp to 3:00-4:00, but it's up there. The HE-6SE has even caused the Ragnarok to go into current protection mode a few times with this setting.

I'm not listening at insane volume levels and need to run the 15wpc quite hard to get them there.

But hey! Run some equations. An amp should never cost more than $600 ever. Nor headphones. Justify the purchase. All that matters.

Apr 22, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #2,942 of 3,903
I'm one of those weirdos that can't hear a benefit when using amps capable of pushing 8-16 watts (@50ohm) into the HE6se V2 in a controlled listening test, vs a THX-789 via XLR. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
From my experience, more power does not equal more better.

Of course, YMMV and whatnot.
Hey, fair enough. I did say there was not too much "I tried both and it's a wash", and not none.

There's a looooooot of "oh shut up, the math checks out and Amir blessed my purchase".

I am going to be as annoying as possible until I'm banned, because if I don't, this thread will hit rock bottom and nobody will experience the absolute majesty of these things set up properly. So there.

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #2,943 of 3,903
There's a lot of "ehh, I think it's fine through a Jotunheim/THX/A90, not going to bother with a speaker amp that I've never tried" and not too much "I tried both and it's a wash."

There's one guy that's tried this on an A90, Mjolnir, class-A Audeze Deckard, and a speaker amp. That guy is currently listening to them on a Ragnarok. That guy is me.

My $100 setup of a Schiit Sys and a dusty old power amp was better than any of those dedicated amps, minus the Ragnarok. My Schiit Freya/Bryston 3B ST setup was the best for the HE6SE, but it was too annoying for other headphones.

But I get it. It's 2022, and people in the audio community are stubborn as hell, especially when something's perceived to be a good value. The difference with my stubbornness is that I've actually tried all these things.

In the OG HE-6 days, when people paid full price, and perhaps even in the early HE6SEv1 days, absolutely nobody said ~4-5wpc was enough for these things. Even the EF6, which was made for the HE-6, wasn't adequate for those who actually tried different setups.

But then AudioScienceReview becomes a thing, these hardcover-sized amps become a thing, and coincidentally the headphone goes on a perpetual fire sale. All of a sudden, ~4-5wpc is fine.

Weird.

So yes, let's just say it here: The Jotunheim/THX789/A90 are perfect for the HE6SE! Yayyy!!

Let's watch - in 6 months, 2 watts will be plenty. Then, the original Asgard with 1wpc will be perfect. Then, an Apple dongle will be fine. Then, don't even plug the headphone into anything - it'll sound great! I got it on sale!
'There's a lot of "ehh, I think it's fine through a Jotunheim/THX/A90, not going to bother with a speaker amp that I've never tried" and not too much "I tried both and it's a wash."'

I'm comparing it to a live orchestra in a concert hall. Leaving aside the obvious differences between music on headphones and in a concert hall, I'm telling you two or three fellow classical music listeners out there that for under a thousand these he-6se v2 are a great choice. They can convey a lot of the thrill and energy of a full-scale orchestra when it's going full tilt, and that isn't the case with all headphones. (Obviously, orchestras sound better on large speakers.)

For a frame of reference: to compare Hifiman headphones that cost under a grand, the he-6se v2 sounds much better on a 789 than my 560 v2 and Ananda do. From that baseline, *then* we can start claiming that they are underpowered and sound bad.

"So yes, let's just say it here: The Jotunheim/THX789/A90 are perfect for the HE6SE! Yayyy!!"

I didn't say they are a perfect match. I made the statement because I read one or two claims that they sound like trash on a 789, and that's bull. Comments like those might put people off from trying these beauties because they will think that they don't have enough power to drive them when in fact they do, particularly when they don't listen at damaging levels. Some of us aren't audiophiles. I certainly don't consider myself one. To me, an audiophile is someone who is really into the gear and comparing and contrasting it. I just want a simple desktop setup that will give me enough of the orchestra compared to what I hear in a concert hall, and that is what I have found with the he-6se v2 + THX789. At least at this point, I'm not worried about "oh if it only sounded better," as it already sounds great. Upgraditis can quickly turn into a serious disease.

"Let's watch - in 6 months, 2 watts will be plenty."

2 watts per channel is what Hifiman itself recommends as a minimum. So if you have at least that, you should be good to go. Granted, that is only the first floor.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #2,944 of 3,903
I believe this was posted before in the other thread, rather useful reference on the factual power requirements.

1650647640827.png

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #2,945 of 3,903
Yep, I run 15wpc at a gain of 8 with a stepped attenuator between 3-4:00 to get to 85db.

Apparently the measured value's closer to 77, and ASR says the SE is considerably harder to drive than the original 6.

I will rely on my ears and experience, and will wave the banner for how things were done before these headphones went on sale and the user base grew 5000%. I am sure there are plenty of folks that are satisfied by the hardcover book amp performance, tables, and equations.

Apr 22, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #2,946 of 3,903
If you like it on the THX 789, you'll likely have a heart attack and explode into dust if you hear it from a proper amp.

There's a lot of "ehh, I think it's fine through a Jotunheim/THX/A90, not going to bother with a speaker amp that I've never tried" and not too much "I tried both and it's a wash."

There's one guy that's tried this on an A90, Mjolnir, class-A Audeze Deckard, and a speaker amp. That guy is currently listening to them on a Ragnarok. That guy is me.

My $100 setup of a Schiit Sys and a dusty old power amp was better than any of those dedicated amps, minus the Ragnarok. My Schiit Freya/Bryston 3B ST setup was the best for the HE6SE, but it was too annoying for other headphones.

But I get it. It's 2022, and people in the audio community are stubborn as hell, especially when something's perceived to be a good value. The difference with my stubbornness is that I've actually tried all these things.

In the OG HE-6 days, when people paid full price, and perhaps even in the early HE6SEv1 days, absolutely nobody said ~4-5wpc was enough for these things. Even the EF6, which was made for the HE-6, wasn't adequate for those who actually tried different setups.

But then AudioScienceReview becomes a thing, these hardcover-sized amps become a thing, and coincidentally the headphone goes on a perpetual fire sale. All of a sudden, ~4-5wpc is fine.

Weird.

So yes, let's just say it here: The Jotunheim/THX789/A90 are perfect for the HE6SE! Yayyy!!

Let's watch - in 6 months, 2 watts will be plenty. Then, the original Asgard with 1wpc will be perfect. Then, an Apple dongle will be fine. Then, don't even plug the headphone into anything - it'll sound great! I got it on sale!
Any cheap speaker amp to recommend? Anything beside Emotiva TA-100 since it is not available now.

Apr 22, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #2,947 of 3,903
I had a dusty old Pyramid speaker amp that I got for almost nothing and it did the trick. I think any speaker amp would do as long as it has a big toroidal transformer - stay away from class D.

Not sure what your budget is, but I think there might be some relative bargains on very old (vintage!) Bryston 3B and 4B amps, although the 4B might be overkill. I am sure there are a lot of great Crown power amps as well, but I know Bryston's special stuff and the old units can be a great deal. They always had 25 year warranties, which goes to show you they were built for the long haul.

Apr 22, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #2,948 of 3,903
I had a dusty old Pyramid speaker amp that I got for almost nothing and it did the trick. I think any speaker amp would do as long as it has a big toroidal transformer - stay away from class D.

Not sure what your budget is, but I think there might be some relative bargains on very old (vintage!) Bryston 3B and 4B amps, although the 4B might be overkill. I am sure there are a lot of great Crown power amps as well, but I know Bryston's special stuff and the old units can be a great deal. They always had 25 year warranties, which goes to show you they were built for the long haul.
I am currently using Flux FA-10, and I am actually listening with high gain at 3 o'clock. With a speaker amp dedicated for my HE6SE, I can't justfiy a larger than $250 since I don't use speakers in my home (wife hates anything loud and she even set TV at very low volume).

Apr 22, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #2,949 of 3,903
I am currently using Flux FA-10, and I am actually listening with high gain at 3 o'clock. With a speaker amp dedicated for my HE6SE, I can't justfiy a larger than $250 since I don't use speakers in my home (wife hates anything loud and she even set TV at very low volume).

You can checkout hifishark for more options but I found the listing below with your budget:
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/adcom-545.17401/

That amp is what I use with a Jotunheim pre-amp for my HE6se.

Apr 23, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #2,951 of 3,903
Can WA8 drive HE6SE?

I wonder about that.
The portable one? 350mW into 50 ohms? No.

But in 6 months, if we give the Jot/THX/A90 crowd a pass, it can.

🤣😉

Apr 24, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #2,955 of 3,903
I bought Questyle CMA Twelve. Can this run he6se?

Hi, I had ever paired CMA12 (not master) with HE6se. I would say it sounded good but still couldn't match setup with dedicated headamp tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back