Hifiman HE6-SE
Feb 3, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #1,187 of 3,915
What accessories come with the HE6se V2? I couldn’t seem to the information on Adorama’s website.
Accessories? Only the HE6SE and the cable are included in the package.

The cable is in 2 parts, the main section has 2 - 2.5" ends to the headphone and the other end is a 4-pin male + a converter cable extension with a female 4-pin to 6.35mm male.

The headphone box is nice - a presentation box with fancy silk billowing out from the formed interior - I doubt it but there is enough loose silk to be hiding something else, maybe I'll find something else hiding in there later. The Hifiman HE-Adapter is too large and heavy to be hiding in what's left after removing the headphones.

The headphone box was itself in a protective box, and that was then in another protective outer shipping box with pillows to protect it in transit. Adorama did a great job packing up the headphones in a safe shipping package.

There is no carrying case other than the box. I think Adorama outfitted the HE6SE V2 to be sold mostly at $699 vs. the full $1799. At $1799 I would have expected more, like the carrying case and the Hifiman HE-Adapter + a better cable + a 2nd cable + some headphone care items to keep it nice and shiny.

At $699 I am very happy so far with the Adorama HE6SE V2, it sounds great and fits me great too. And, the 2w power of the Xduoo TA-20 is more than adequate to deliver an enjoyable listening result. I've yet to hook up the A90 to see if more power helps.

I'm also very happy with the TA-20 Tube/SS Hybrid sound coming out of the Adorama H6SE V2. The TA-20 helped my other headphones, especially the mid-range Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic headphones to shine. I'm happy the HE6SE V2 also responds well to the TA-20.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #1,188 of 3,915
Accessories? Only the HE6SE and the cable are included in the package.

The cable is in 2 parts, the main section has 2 - 2.5" ends to the headphone and the other end is a 4-pin male + a converter cable extension with a female 4-pin to 6.35mm male.

The headphone box is nice - a presentation box with fancy silk billowing out from the formed interior - I doubt it but there is enough loose silk to be hiding something else, maybe I'll find something else hiding in there later. The Hifiman HE-Adapter is too large and heavy to be hiding in what's left after removing the headphones.

The headphone box was itself in a protective box, and that was then in another protective outer shipping box with pillows to protect it in transit. Adorama did a great job packing up the headphones in a safe shipping package.

There is no carrying case other than the box. I think Adorama outfitted the HE6SE V2 to be sold mostly at $799 vs. the full $1799. At $1799 I would have expected more, like the carrying case and the Hifiman HE-Adapter + a better cable + a 2nd cable + some headphone care items to keep it nice and shiny.

At $799 I am happy so far with the HE6SE, it sounds great and fits me fine. And, IDK, the power of the Xduoo TA-20 seems to be adequate to deliver an enjoyable listening result, I've yet to hook up the A90 to see if more power helps. So far I'm happy enough with the TA-20 Tube sound.

Very good point about the price point!

If you need a carry case I picked up the Hifiman trave case for 30$ and it was nice enough that I bought another one. Really good quality case for the price. They have fairly decent pricing on accessories, but do not hold onto stock very long. I almost bought the adapter from them after they found a few in the warehouse, but the value just was not their for that item. Better off making your own adapter cable than buying the adapter box.

Feb 3, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #1,190 of 3,915
Very good point about the price point!

If you need a carry case I picked up the Hifiman trave case for 30$ and it was nice enough that I bought another one. Really good quality case for the price. They have fairly decent pricing on accessories, but do not hold onto stock very long. I almost bought the adapter from them after they found a few in the warehouse, but the value just was not their for that item. Better off making your own adapter cable than buying the adapter box.
Thanks for those pointers, I've looked at and will order the Hifiman case.

What did Hifiman want for the HE-Adapter? I wonder what they go for used?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #1,191 of 3,915
Most people will want to replace the cable that comes with it. The stock cable reminds of something my GI would use for an endoscopy.
Yup, the stock cable's look reminds me of something I would have built while we were in college, out of scrap pieces of wire and lab tubing.

But, the underlying wire is doing a great job so far, maybe when I get a custom cable made I'll get this one dissected to see what wire is used and get it re-sheathed in something a bit more attractive. Probably the same sheath material used for the custom cable - a long 4.4mm for desktop / couch use, maybe a short 4.4mm/2.5mm for mobile use.

I also haven't tried out the HE6SE V2 on my FiiO M15 - which has a high current mode that might be enough to tickle the HE6SE V2. I don't have an applicable converter to 4.4mm/2.5mm so testing will need to wait for the new cable(s).

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #1,193 of 3,915
Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #1,194 of 3,915
Thanks for those pointers, I've looked at and will order the Hifiman case.

What did Hifiman want for the HE-Adapter? I wonder what they go for used?

I cannot find the email, but I think they wanted $150 for it.

I ended up buying this cable and a neutrik XLR connector and made my own adapter. Took no more than 30 minutes and allows more flexibility of distance. Helped save money since i had an gift card that covered most of it. Any wire will do of course, but this one already had the amp side jacks and is nicely packaged.

cable
Connector

I have since moved up to a Norne Silverguard S version of the same thing which is nice because i can also have two easy setups!

Feb 3, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #1,195 of 3,915
Speaking about the Hifiman HE-Adapter, are there any new ones available? Link?

And, on another topic, I really like the stock pads on the HE6SE V2, are there any recommended pads for replacement and how do / did they affect the sound?

I'm kinda thinking the HE6SE V2 is "perfect" as it is, except for the cable jacket - which is an easy fix if it ever bothers me, so far the cable tubing might be funny looking but the cable doesn't get in my way - it tucks in and doesn't get snagged or get in the way.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #1,196 of 3,915

And, on another topic, I really like the stock pads on the HE6SE V2, are there any recommended pads for replacement and how do / did they affect the sound?

I'm kinda thinking the HE6SE V2 is "perfect" as it is, except for the cable jacket - which is an easy fix if it ever bothers me, so far the cable tubing might be funny looking but the cable doesn't get in my way - it tucks in and doesn't get snagged or get in the way.

You'll likely find most folks who have had the original HE-6 as well as the HE-6SE now do not like the HE adapter box. I am one of them. Tried it a few years ago with the HE-6 and promptly removed it from the chain. Compared to straight from the speaker taps, sound was muffled.

Pads - many options and opinions. Ether angled are highly recommended, original Audeze Vegan pads (my all time favorite bar none) and now I am trying the Dekoni hybrid.

Feb 4, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #1,197 of 3,915

if you dont want to mess with sound, and just want comfort, I prefer the Hifiman Focus pads that are used on HE560. They're $39 USD. They sound and measure the exact same as the Pali pads. Basically the same pad except the fabric liner is a softer velour.

Feb 4, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #1,198 of 3,915
These headphones measured very close to my target curve. Sadly I can’t buy them as adorma don’t deliver to the uk :frowning2:

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #1,199 of 3,915
These headphones measured very close to my target curve. Sadly I can’t buy them as adorma don’t deliver to the uk :frowning2:
It looks like these HE6SE's are somewhere along the continuum between the V1 and V2, still not versed in how to spot all the differences, but perhaps you can ask the kind people at Analogue Seduction, UK, and maybe they have seasonal sales discounts too:

HiFiMAN HE6se Planar Headphones - Analogue Seduction

It has the Hifiman traditional yoke for a headband rather than the "Deva" inspired new solid headband, but I kinda like the traditional headband - I've got that on the Ananda and it is quite comfortable.
You'll likely find most folks who have had the original HE-6 as well as the HE-6SE now do not like the HE adapter box. I am one of them. Tried it a few years ago with the HE-6 and promptly removed it from the chain. Compared to straight from the speaker taps, sound was muffled.

Pads - many options and opinions. Ether angled are highly recommended, original Audeze Vegan pads (my all time favorite bar none) and now I am trying the Dekoni hybrid.
+ @ksorota - Well guys - thank's for your help, and I've already found and ordered an HE-Adapter... :)

HiFiMAN HE Adaptor - Analogue Seduction

And, found a good source of audiophile equipment from the UK that will ship to the USA. :)

Hopefully all of the positive reviews I've seen will be what I hear too, sorry it didn't work out for you @Oregonian , perhaps it was a particular set of interface conditions involved, as most (all?) of the online reviews I can find show happy customers:

Amazon.com: Customer reviews: HiFiMan - HE-Adapter

If nothing else I'll have nice case with binding posts and a 4-pin socket I can cross wire as needed to get around the components that might be causing interface matching issues.

What was the amp(s) you tried with the HE-Adapter?
if you dont want to mess with sound, and just want comfort, I prefer the Hifiman Focus pads that are used on HE560. They're $39 USD. They sound and measure the exact same as the Pali pads. Basically the same pad except the fabric liner is a softer velour.
That's a great tip, I prefer the velor or hybrid to the natural skins touching my skin, and that price is much better than the $69, $79, $89 of some options, like this triple gem collection:

ETHER 2 Suede and Perforated Pads (danclarkaudio.com) - $179

Loving the sound as is, but I do need backup pads in case of spills or other contaminants - not that it happens often, but when it does I'd hate to wait days or more for shipping. I've got backup pads for many of my headphones, no sense stopping that practice now.

Thanks, I'll order some of those as back-ups :)

Update: There are 2 Focus pads, Focus and Focus-A... which one or both?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #1,200 of 3,915
It looks like these HE6SE's are somewhere along the continuum between the V1 and V2, still not versed in how to spot all the differences, but perhaps you can ask the kind people at Analogue Seduction, UK, and maybe they have seasonal sales discounts too:

HiFiMAN HE6se Planar Headphones - Analogue Seduction

It has the Hifiman traditional yoke for a headband rather than the "Deva" inspired new solid headband, but I kinda like the traditional headband - I've got that on the Ananda and it is quite comfortable.

+ @ksorota - Well guys - that's for your help, and I've already found and ordered an HE-Adapter... :)

HiFiMAN HE Adaptor - Analogue Seduction

And, found a good source of audiophile equipment from the UK. :)

Hopefully all of the positive reviews I've seen will be what I see, sorry it didn't work out for you @Oregonian , perhaps it was a particular set of interface conditions involved, as most (all?) of the online reviews I can find show happy customers:

Amazon.com: Customer reviews: HiFiMan - HE-Adapter

If nothing else I'll have nice case with binding posts and a 4-pin socket I can cross wire as needed to get around the components that might be causing interface matching issues.

What was the amp(s) you tried with the HE-Adapter?

That's a great tip, I prefer the velor or hybrid to the natural skins touching my skin, and that price is much better than the $69, $79, $89 of some options, like this triple gem collection:

ETHER 2 Suede and Perforated Pads (danclarkaudio.com) - $179

Loving the sound as is, but I do need backup pads in case of spills or other contaminants - not that it happens often, but when it does I'd hate to wait days or more for shipping. I've got backup pads for many of my headphones, no sense stopping that practice now.

Thanks, I'll order some of those as back-ups :)

Multiple vintage speaker amps - Pioneer SA-8800, Pioneer Spec 1 pre/Spec 2 amp, etc................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back