Hifiman HE6-SE
Jan 31, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #1,171 of 3,891
Here's the reply that I received from CS at Hifiman:

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us, HE6se v2 is model exclusively sold by Adorama, so the HE6se v2 is only available in Adarama.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

April

Bottom line, it's not the same as the HE6se. It can be driven by amp, but I need the volume at like 1 or 2 o'clock. I'm still buring them in, and I have about 30 hours. Apparently, you need 150 hours.

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #1,172 of 3,891
Depends on what you are using I suppose. I'm having fantastic results from the Singxer SA-1 in DC mode with the HE6se v2. Didn't know there was two versions! I really like mine though, it's comfortable and the force isn't too high and the sound.. whew!

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #1,173 of 3,891
Here's my review of the HE6SE V2 unit. :)
https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2021/01/hifiman-he6se-v2-review.html

P1050004.JPG
P1050005.JPG

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #1,174 of 3,891
Feb 1, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #1,175 of 3,891
Nice review, I have the same grills on my HE6se V2’s. Are you hearing any sound differences with the grill mod?

I mentioned it briefly in my review that it opens up the soundstage slightly. I did graph the two but I should probably put it in my review or a follow-up on modding, since I also have several pad measurements too. I don't know if the bass is as drastically different as it implies here

1612220674914.png

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #1,177 of 3,891
I mentioned it briefly in my review that it opens up the soundstage slightly. I did graph the two but I should probably put it in my review or a follow-up on modding, since I also have several pad measurements too. I don't know if the bass is as drastically different as it implies here

1612220674914.png
Thanks for posting this. It lines up with what I’m hearing in the bass frequencies. The HE6se V2’s are great sounding headphones!

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #1,180 of 3,891
any headband mods? these barely fit my head length wise. im still within 10 hours of burning in my pair of he6se v2 but i've been enjoying them so far.

I have the HE560 headband still but I dont want to take apart the cups to install them. I ordered an Audeze carbon suspension headband kit but its on backorder still.

Feb 2, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #1,181 of 3,891
Do you mean the headband length adjustment is too big or too small?
I have them fully extended, they just fit over my ears. like its barely acceptable, but after looking at it a bit, I figured out I just need to bend the headband a bit to make it fit, but still my head is large, but I've never had to fully extend any headphone to fit my head, especially of this size.

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #1,183 of 3,891
from the audeze website ? doesn't mention its out of stock or backordered.

Nope, through hifiheaven. they sold the yoke kit too, which you need to make it work.

Feb 2, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #1,184 of 3,891
I have them fully extended, they just fit over my ears. like its barely acceptable, but after looking at it a bit, I figured out I just need to bend the headband a bit to make it fit, but still my head is large, but I've never had to fully extend any headphone to fit my head, especially of this size.

Okay, I have the opposite problem and swapped my headband out for a HE560v2 headband, which I think is smaller than the stock HE6se v2 headband. You might have to go for an Audeze headband.

Feb 2, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #1,185 of 3,891
My Adorama HE6SE arrived today, put them on - driven by a TA-20 and the HE6SE sounds great. It takes a high spot on the volume dial - just like my 600-ohm Beyerdynamic DT-880/DT-990 headphones - 70-85 out of 95.

I received my first HD660s yesterday, and that was a revelation in itself, but the HE6SE is a whole new level again. The HD660s has enough power with what I have to fully show its tricks, but the HE6SE needs more power than I can hook up right now.

The HE6SE puts of a helluva lot of detail. The HE6SE has a weighty presence in the sound it delivers - I've not heard before in a planar headphone; it is very exciting.

The TA-20 is putting out 2w @ 32 ohms, so it is right there at the entry point for power to light up the HE6E. The A90 puts out 6.4w @ 32ohm, a bit of a step up, I'll wire that up later - the TA-20 is doing fine for now.

I'm on the lookout for cables and a power amp to connect through the Hifiman HE-Adapter, but I'm on a budget. I'm hoping for a cable around $1t50 and an amp around $250.

But, there is no rush, as even though the Hifiman cable looks like it came off of a Rocky Horror Picture Show operating slab, it sounds fine - no reference though, it might be crap in comparison to a nice 50/50 Copper OCC / Silver cable.

I can feel the HE6SE has more to show with more power, but even with entry-level power the HE6SE breaks through often enough with impressive sound, it is very enjoyable.

The HE6SE fit and comfort are great, and to me the headphone is light - so much so I thought Adorama's box was way too light to be headphones! - not as light as the HD600s but that's all plastic - the HE6SE is solid built. Fortunately, the headband's easy adjustment fits fine and is very comfortable for me. I may change my tune after wearing it for 8-12 hours. I'll update later.

Adorama did a great job packing and shipping the HE6SE, and their package arrived here clean and intact, and it arrived pandemic fast - 4 days from order to delivery. Thanks to the UPS delivery guy for the mask-safe hand-off at the door!

I'll update after I've had a chance to connect to the Topping A90, and have spent longer quality time with the HE6SE. :)

Note: I've never experienced what I'm about to describe. Listening to Sound Demo's for headphones that Zeos does is often fun and interesting - but this time the synergy was "Powerful" sound when I listened to the HE6SE (V1) Demo through the Adorama HE6SE V2.

The clarity for me was like nothing I've heard before - even though I listened to that same demo with other headphones recently. This HE6E V2 lit up in such a way I can only describe it as Powerful, Clean, and very enjoyable - 80 volume on the TA-20 was enough.

And, when I tried listening to other Demo's, like the Buckhart A500 and STAX009 - it sounded "tinny" - or "weak", "wimpy" - the HE500 / HE560 were just bad recordings, but I think that had more to do with Zeos's early recording setup.

The newer Sennheiser DT1990 Redux Demo had some good moments through the Adorama HE6SE V2. The GL2000 Demo sounded whispy/weak through the HE6SE V2 to me too.

Don't get me wrong, those other headphones were loud, were detailed, and had a "Hifi" sound, but not like the HE6SE V1 + HE6SE V2.

The Sympatico reaction of listening to the HE6SE V1 through the Adorama HE6SE V2 was never so exciting for me as with any other pairing so far. And of course, youtube quality, but still it was a powerful engaging combo to experience.

And, I'm enjoying bringing up Tidal / AMHD playlists and hearing them again for the first time, still on the Xduoo TA-20.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back