Hifiman HE6-SE
Jan 7, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #1,021 of 3,897
THX 789 just sounded terrible. It has power, but don't know at 50 Ohms. basX seems to drive properly in comparison. I think it's about the amp being able to provide sufficient immediate current.

I don't ses why anybody would buy a 789 over a magni or magnius. So much hype behind the crappy sounding amp.

Not diverge too far from the HE6SE context, 789 can pair with an good OTL tube amp (assuming there is a preamp line out there), and drive a low impedance headphone thanks to its linear response.

Jan 7, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #1,023 of 3,897
THX 789 just sounded terrible. It has power, but don't know at 50 Ohms. basX seems to drive properly in comparison. I think it's about the amp being able to provide sufficient immediate current.

I don't ses why anybody would buy a 789 over a magni or magnius. So much hype behind the crappy sounding amp.
I'm surprised that there haven't been papers about this, but I think that's what's going on, too. Plug into a speaker amp, and it's like the bottom two octaves fill out. Even on high impedence stuff like the HD650 and HD800, you can hear a difference (as their impedance isn't always linear). Not calling the HD800 a bass monster, but you'd be surprised what it can do through a speaker amp. A bit shouty, sure, but it fills out.

Jan 7, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #1,024 of 3,897
I'm surprised that there haven't been papers about this, but I think that's what's going on, too. Plug into a speaker amp, and it's like the bottom two octaves fill out. Even on high impedence stuff like the HD650 and HD800, you can hear a difference (as their impedance isn't always linear). Not calling the HD800 a bass monster, but you'd be surprised what it can do through a speaker amp. A bit shouty, sure, but it fills out.
It maybe the better PS with toroidal transformer. I found BasX does great with HD800 everything except being too loud volume and treble forwardness. Imaging and bass was great. I assume BasX has a good PS, it does contain a toroidal transformer. Unfortunately, gain is too much on the BasX for general headphone usage.

The cheap amps do skimp on PS quality.

Jan 7, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #1,025 of 3,897

100% agree...............for anyone who says the HD800 family is bass light, try it from a vintage speaker amp...............in my case I run it direct from the speaker taps and the bass is glorious. Not "shouty" to me.............

Back to the HE-6SE.............still running in the V2 but even out of the box the sound is outstanding (have removed grills and using Ether2 velour pads) and though I haven't done a true A/B vs version 1 (open grill as well and Audeze Vegan pads) I think the V1 comfort is better due to the comfort strap. Sound wise I'll try to A/B this weekend with the same CD/songs and see what I prefer. Plan on keeping them both as I have multiple headphone listening stations so can keep both in use.

Jan 7, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #1,026 of 3,897
100% agree...............for anyone who says the HD800 family is bass light, try it from a vintage speaker amp...............in my case I run it direct from the speaker taps and the bass is glorious. Not "shouty" to me.............

Back to the HE-6SE.............still running in the V2 but even out of the box the sound is outstanding (have removed grills and using Ether2 velour pads) and though I haven't done a true A/B vs version 1 (open grill as well and Audeze Vegan pads) I think the V1 comfort is better due to the comfort strap. Sound wise I'll try to A/B this weekend with the same CD/songs and see what I prefer. Plan on keeping them both as I have multiple headphone listening stations so can keep both in use.
I think the shoutiness may be more to do with the headphone still being fairly sensitive and my amp being quite powerful, it gets better at lower gain.

Regarding V1 vs V2, I am under the impression the V1 comes with Pali Pads and the V2 is more like a Focus pad, but I could be wrong. Pad rolling on the HiFiMAN cans is a serious thing, it's like every new pad is a new headphone.

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #1,027 of 3,897
Well, I broke down and ordered.... a HE-560. But then, the HE-6SE deal came back, and I was real interested...

So I ordered one too!
Premier.jpg

First impressions: very good, but I felt there was some confusion in the upper range, something holding it back. I tried without the grills, and the treble opened up slightly, and that really gave it the air I craved after selling my Sundara, as well as helping instrument separation and placement. I wasn't going to keep it without the grills on, so I took the grills off my old (and dead) HE-5LE, on which I had removed the cloth (as was recommended back then to open up the treble) and I feel it is very close to the sound of them fully open.

Second.JPG

So, quick HE-560 V4 vs HE-6SE V2. The HE-560 has a couple of areas where it is stronger than the 6SE: it has slightly stronger impacts, and it has a strongly more powerful bass. That said, it definitely lacks air and treble versus the 6SE; and while the impacts are stronger, they are much better defined on the 6SE. I feel the 560 brings drums forward in the mix, while pushing back vocals slightly. It is a very competent headphone, but it definitely lacks the very fast transient response, instrument separation, air and clarity of the 6SE. Curiously, I also find it less comfortable, despite the fact it weighs less. So, it is going back.

I'll probably post a HE-6SE V2 vs my other new acquisition for the end of 2020, the Focal Elex, eventually. It will be more in depth, of course.

For reference, I'm driving these with PC -> USB -> Soncoz LA-QXD1 -> XLR -> Topping A90 (med gain, just past 12 o'clock) -> XLR

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #1,028 of 3,897
The V2 comes with PaliPads. I don't really like it, mids are a bit too distant for my liking. The bass was superb though. The highs are little strident but not too bad.

I am now using the Velpads on mine. The mids are now brought up and is exactly where I want it to be. The highs are softened and the ortho wall is no longer noticeable. Unfortunately, the bass no longer has the extension.

With the Velpads, the frequency response is now like the HE-500. The details is the biggest difference though. It doesn't have the woolly bass like the HE-500 does, the bass remains detailed albeit not as extended. The highs are a lot more detailed and instrument separation is just on another level.

I am still experimenting though, I have some Dekoni TH-900 pads coming in and will order up the original velours to try.

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #1,029 of 3,897
Well, I broke down and ordered.... a HE-560. But then, the HE-6SE deal came back, and I was real interested...

So I ordered one too!

First impressions: very good, but I felt there was some confusion in the upper range, something holding it back. I tried without the grills, and the treble opened up slightly, and that really gave it the air I craved after selling my Sundara, as well as helping instrument separation and placement. I wasn't going to keep it without the grills on, so I took the grills off my old (and dead) HE-5LE, on which I had removed the cloth (as was recommended back then to open up the treble) and I feel it is very close to the sound of them fully open.

So, quick HE-560 V4 vs HE-6SE V2. The HE-560 has a couple of areas where it is stronger than the 6SE: it has slightly stronger impacts, and it has a strongly more powerful bass. That said, it definitely lacks air and treble versus the 6SE; and while the impacts are stronger, they are much better defined on the 6SE. I feel the 560 brings drums forward in the mix, while pushing back vocals slightly. It is a very competent headphone, but it definitely lacks the very fast transient response, instrument separation, air and clarity of the 6SE. Curiously, I also find it less comfortable, despite the fact it weighs less. So, it is going back.

I'll probably post a HE-6SE V2 vs my other new acquisition for the end of 2020, the Focal Elex, eventually. It will be more in depth, of course.

For reference, I'm driving these with PC -> USB -> Soncoz LA-QXD1 -> XLR -> Topping A90 (med gain, just past 12 o'clock) -> XLR
Unsurprisingly, it looks like the A90 is too wimpy for the HE6sev2. A properly driven HE6 should be one of the most impactful cans out there that hits hard with startlingly clean bass.

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #1,030 of 3,897
Oh, the A90 has plenty enough power to power the HE-6Se. The impacts are there, and well defined. I was simply comparing it to a headphone that is ALL impact. The HE-560 V4 brings up the drums in the mix, to the point that it can be obnoxious at times. And, while it may have MORE impacts, the 6SE definitely has more defined impacts (better transients and faster decay), as well as a more extended sound in the treble area.

EDIT: Man, I'm listening to one of my favorite albums (PORCUPINE TREE - Fear of a Blank Planet) and I'm discovering new sounds, new nuances. Great headphone!

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #1,031 of 3,897
The V2 comes with PaliPads. I don't really like it, mids are a bit too distant for my liking. The bass was superb though. The highs are little strident but not too bad.

I am now using the Velpads on mine. The mids are now brought up and is exactly where I want it to be. The highs are softened and the ortho wall is no longer noticeable. Unfortunately, the bass no longer has the extension.

With the Velpads, the frequency response is now like the HE-500. The details is the biggest difference though. It doesn't have the woolly bass like the HE-500 does, the bass remains detailed albeit not as extended. The highs are a lot more detailed and instrument separation is just on another level.

I am still experimenting though, I have some Dekoni TH-900 pads coming in and will order up the original velours to try.
Looking at the measurements posted by Antdroid few posts ago, it looks like V2 is not recessed like OG SE. I'd like to see more measurement comparing the two versions. Velpads should bring up the bass.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #1,032 of 3,897
Idk I’ve heard the he-500 off of both and it was very underwhelming. Bass was just very lean and rolled off on both. No slam. The THX was the better one of the two, however.

A sign of an underdriven HE-500 - for sure

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #1,033 of 3,897
Oh, the A90 has plenty enough power to power the HE-6Se. The impacts are there, and well defined. I was simply comparing it to a headphone that is ALL impact. The HE-560 V4 brings up the drums in the mix, to the point that it can be obnoxious at times. And, while it may have MORE impacts, the 6SE definitely has more defined impacts (better transients and faster decay), as well as a more extended sound in the treble area.

EDIT: Man, I'm listening to one of my favorite albums (PORCUPINE TREE - Fear of a Blank Planet) and I'm discovering new sounds, new nuances. Great headphone!
I use the A90 as a pre to feed my Bryston 3B ST, and yeah, the A90 isn't doing them justice.

Jan 7, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #1,034 of 3,897
More measurements for digestions -- same caveats as last time:

1610075025872.png

Blue is normal HE6SE v2 configuration. Red is grill removed. Orange is grills installed + thicker angled sheepskin leather pads.

I also used the eBay metal honeycomb grill today and it measures exactly the same (pretty much) as the red line with no grill.

Jan 7, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #1,035 of 3,897
More measurements for digestions -- same caveats as last time:

1610075025872.png

Blue is normal HE6SE v2 configuration. Red is grill removed. Orange is grills installed + thicker angled sheepskin leather pads.

I also used the eBay metal honeycomb grill today and it measures exactly the same (pretty much) as the red line with no grill.
Which angled sheepskin pads though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back