Hifiman HE6-SE
Oct 21, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #3,767 of 3,903
Anyone try their super grill mod on the HE6SE v2? If so, what does it change?
Some say that it slightly increases the air between the instruments... losing a bit of bass... but it doesn't appear with any measurement, I would leave it alone... we already have to worry about the magnets without modifying it... then everyone is free... obviously.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #3,768 of 3,903
Anyone try their super grill mod on the HE6SE v2? If so, what does it change?
No, after naked for 3 years and before that 4 different home made I found the second version of the Arctic, and they are not audible to me. Hope that helps.

It cuts excess reverb. try out finger snaps and wood blocks - with stock screens they are too reverb heavy vs other very high end speakers with tuned room as the comparison. But you do shed a smidge of lower bass, which can be restored with PEQ.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #3,769 of 3,903
Where can I buy HE 6SE V2 stock pad? I saw 4 of them on hifiman site but none says it's stock pads. If they are not available, which is closest? Interested in 3rd party alternative too.
Stock pads - Pali - not as good as some aftermarkets. I go for the DCA Ether Angled, but others favor other flavors.

Oct 22, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #3,770 of 3,903
I picked mine up in the classifieds here for $350. All I can say is wow. Yes, the head band is not great (this is a V2), and I might wish the cups were not blue. And I may have already taken the grilles off. Running them with my Schiit Jotunheim 2, the first time I've ever been near to 12 o'clock on high gain. But listening to Massive Attack on these is heaven. The Arya might still get more listening time, as they are a little warmer, but still.... These are great.
I'll paraphrase what I wrote yesterday on the HE-500 thread. At a meet I heard LCD-5, Caldera, MX-4, both Tungsten, Rognir, 5 different ZMF, HEK Stealth, Empy OG, Clear OG, HD-800. HD-800S mostly on kick butt equipment.

Conclusion: the 500 and 6-SE v1 ere better than 4 of these, even with a couple more, and outclassed by none of them (like 5-7% at most). For $350 vs $5k headphones, you bet your bippy (1960's reference) you got a deal. Spent $699 new for mine and that was a deal.

Nov 4, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #3,771 of 3,903
My 6SEV2 sound lovely with my Decware EL84 tube amp but are clearly dynamically restrained compared to when they are used with a robust solid state amp and the Decware does not provide enough gain from most recordings to satisfy me.
I found a way to deal with the inadequate gain issue by connecting the amazingly transparent Topping PRE90 between my dac and my Decware headphone amp leashed with the excellent 10audio.com-configured Mogami interconnect cables. This will hold me over until I can find a pre-owned Decware pre-amp. The waiting list for a new one is impossibly long.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #3,772 of 3,903
So, my new head band arrived from AliExpress for the HE6SE2. Not quite as good as the band on my Audeze LCD-2C, but good enough and so much more comfortable.
1000001640.jpg

1000001639.jpg

Nov 25, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #3,774 of 3,903
Nov 26, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #3,776 of 3,903
Nov 27, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #3,778 of 3,903
Some say that it slightly increases the air between the instruments... losing a bit of bass... but it doesn't appear with any measurement, I would leave it alone... we already have to worry about the magnets without modifying it... then everyone is free... obviously.
On SBAF at some point there was a graph published showing a difference - re: no screen vs stock screen on the HE-6.

If you are talking FR only tests, that's leaving out quite a bit that can be heard AND measured.

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #3,779 of 3,903
On SBAF at some point there was a graph published showing a difference - re: no screen vs stock screen on the HE-6.

If you are talking FR only tests, that's leaving out quite a bit that can be heard AND measured.
I was referring to what I heard from the reviewer of this comparison video... then obviously, as I was saying, everyone is free to do what they want with the headphones they bought.

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #3,780 of 3,903
I was referring to what I heard from the reviewer of this comparison video... then obviously, as I was saying, everyone is free to do what they want with the headphones they bought.

Thanks for clarifying

Users who are viewing this thread

Back