Hifiman HE6-SE
Dec 17, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #2,401 of 3,915
Haven't been active on this thread for some time. I got HE6se last year, and this year I have HEkse and Verite Open for comparison. One of the advantages of HE6se (or disadvantage) is that you can try different amps and tell the differences as well. I recently got a Rotel 1582 mk2 and feel that HE6se became more intense, layered, and thus less relax compared to the time I used it on Adcom 545.

Compared to the HEkse, I cannot say He6se can compete head to toe, but might have a competitive performance on the high-mid to low-treble range. Overall HEkse has better control, tonality, and less congestion (e..g, for orchestra). Also it is more "effortless" (which is the term I am not sure, so correct me -- e.g., you don't need to actively "seek" what you want to hear about).
Thanks for your impressions. Just for kicks, how does the HE6se stack up against your Verite? I'm considering a VC as my next headphone purchase.

Dec 17, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #2,402 of 3,915
Thanks for your impressions. Just for kicks, how does the HE6se stack up against your Verite? I'm considering a VC as my next headphone purchase.

disclaimer: It is personal and I believe VO is almost the same as VC.

They are different in almost many ways. Of course they both sound great. But VO has a pretty nice ("holistic?") sound stage for pop (including vocal in pop), where HE6se is pale. But HE6se is great for string and classical vocal (e.g., opera, aria, etc) and has a wider soundstage in those genres.

One might consider VO is good for studio recording, and HE6se is good for open space listening (bar or chamber hall). Both are not as good as HEkse for concert hall level space.

Dec 17, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #2,403 of 3,915
I use velour pads (non angled version) with He6se v1 : sound is more balanced than with default pali pads, not as distant, velour pads helps to fight the dip and peak around 2khz.

I've tried default palipad, velour, velpad, focuspad-a, DCA ether angled with my V1. Always come back to the cheapo velour pad that feels like a scratchy firm foam donut, it is undoubtedly the best balance of sound imo but at the cost of terrible comfort. Every other pad needs significant EQ to sound 'natural' but the bargain bin velour pad seems to capture the best balance naturally w/o EQ for me (from my vintage yamaha amplifier).

Velour > EQ palipad > Velpad > Focuspad-a > DCA ether angled (ears way too hot/sweaty, too much driver flex from tight seal)

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #2,404 of 3,915
I spent sometime today and switch back and forth between Monolith THX (at various gains, balance output) and Rotel 1852.

Monolith THX balance out at high gain might be loud enough (but I still need to go to 3am position), I actually prefer it at lowest gain but at max volume because it has better bass and less piecing mid, imho. Some examples include "Time" in Inception and "Enter Sandman" in Metallica.

Unfortunately it is not loud enough for some genres so a mid gain is the trade off. My Qobuz and DAC are 100% but I am sure there are some other hacks to make it louder from source.

While Monolith is satisfying (~4wpc from spec), Rotel has a better separation, soundstage, and details (not just louder). Examples include the first 20 seconds "Cantate Domino" from Cantate Domino, and the last 10 seconds "Also Sprach Zarathustra" by Reiner/CSO. More intriguing (live?) sound.

Maybe I am repeating the other experiences but want to add one point about Rotel.

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #2,405 of 3,915
The quest for headphone potential and fair comparison is a risky business! To see fairly how HE6se compares the HEkse, I eventually powered the HEkse directly from speaker tap.

Background: in the past, I used two setup to drive HE6se and HEkse. I was not satisfied with this comparison because it is objectively unfair. It reveals how much difference the chain, but does not tell how the headphones compare against each other. The only way to do so is to drive the HEkse directly from the speaker tap (or vice versa) so I can tell the difference regardless my taste.

Plug the HEkse to the speaker tap is not difficult, but takes some love to make sure every step is correct so nothing is burned. It is more like a leap of faith moment when you turn on the power :)

I noticed immediately there is an issue -- HEkse is too sensitive so the noise is noticeable. Well, no comparison is really fair anyways. Other than this, it was surprising (or maybe not totally surprising) that HEkse produced a similar sound signature compared to HE6se from the speaker tap!

More need to be done during the Christmas time :p

Dec 18, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #2,406 of 3,915
Still gathering initial impressions on the best chain but the HE6-SE V2 from Liquid Platinum or THX 887 sound good to me. Also find these headphones comfortable, nice clamping force and soft pads.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #2,407 of 3,915
Which is why I went for a custom tube amp that drives speakers and headphones. With 20w driving speakers in 8 ohms, it has enough power to drive headphones. I know this because I have 2 other integrated amps to compare with and have use them with speaker taps. Kenwood KA3300D is 150w into 8 ohms and Redgum Rgi120eni is 265w into 4 ohms. Odyssey drives headphones with the realism as the speaker amps but with the advantage of keeping the low impedance He1000se very quiet. The first time I heard He1000se on Odyssey I couldn't believe it. This headphone can be played directly from an iPhone but when properly amped, it's a different animal.

My He1000se is still at the shop waiting for the leather headband and earpads replacement to be completed. The last I heard is that the earpads that came won't fit and that HiFiMan is sending another pair of pads. I won't go on memory but will wait on it's return to compare with He6se V2.

Dec 18, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #2,408 of 3,915
I was considering rolling pads but these default pads seem to be spot on.

After 2 days with the Dekoni Hybrid pads, I can say the original pads are just as good in sound. Dekoni pads are thicker by at least 1 cm and keeps the ear canal further from the driver. I also have to increase the headband notch up by one compared to the original pads. However those clips don't make changing pads a quick affair, I rather roll tubes or headphone cables to change the tone.

At the moment I am using a silver cable whereas the first day I was using Forza Noir Hybrid (silver/copper). Silver tightens it up whereas the hybrid gives it better texture and layering. In my chain, I kind of prefer the silver cable more. It's all personal preference though. You have to figure it out for yourself and not rely on others impressions because their chain is different.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #2,409 of 3,915
Still gathering initial impressions on the best chain but the HE6-SE V2 from Ares2/Singxer SA-1 or Liquid Platinum (warm tubes) both sound really good to me. Connecting the THX887 seems to degrade tonality to my ears (sounds less natural with more noticeable planar timbre). Also find these headphones comfortable, nice clamping force and soft pads. I was considering rolling pads but these default pads seem to be spot on.

Yes THX 887 does not justify the full potential for HE6se. Adding a nice preamp or a tube amp with preamp out makes it better.

I also think that speaker amps also do not justify its performance either. While HE6se needs something better than BasX A1 or Parasound Zamp, many good quality speaker amps are 120wpc+, and they are certainly designed for a different space / environment / operating point. e.g., putting your speaker closer to your ear would not make it sound better.

Maybe a Class-A 10-20W tube amp for dual headphone / near field monitor use, such as Elekit TU-8200R, might actually be a fairly good candidate.

This is the beauty (and the problem) of HE6se. It takes too much love to make it sound next level.

Dec 19, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #2,411 of 3,915
Got a pair incoming. The master 19 should be enough juice, right?

Should be ok. I ran the Susvara off the Master 9 for a good while.

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #2,412 of 3,915
Another HE-6SEv0.5 in the wild!

20211220_100559.jpg

The cup swivel with angled pads is absolutely crucial, and it's mind blowing the original headband didn't swivel.

To install, you do have to unscrew the headband rivets which are quite tight. Then, you have to pop the driver out of the housing and pop the metal washers inwards to the ear cup. One pair came out easy, and the other pair was difficult, felt like I was going to crack the housing!

The new headband isn't mega secure or anything, but there's enough tension so that it's not going anywhere. I guess the HE560 etc had a rubber washer or something to keep the headband completely secure.

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #2,413 of 3,915
hi guys, does anyone know more information about the He6sev2 driving sticking issue? does it seem to happen more to people who do the open grill mods? i don’t think removing the rear volume seal and leaving the diaphragm to slam about would help with it... the most I’d do is the honeycomb with very thin but opaque and durable speaker screening cloth tensioned around the grill and glued to it. it’s gotta be acoustically transparent, or at least transparent enough imo...

i have a unit from a sale but for the original initial run stock. It’s still flawless despite heavy use. fingers crossed that it stays that way. maybe once they kept restocking at “sale” prices that’s when they started cutting corners to deliver at a price point.

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #2,414 of 3,915
I don't think Adorama trying to sell broken units at a discount is a good sign. At least hobble together two broken pairs to make a complete set.

Also, perhaps it's just me, but I feel like I've observed that the driver sticking is immediate, or out of the box. A lot of "these aren't what I expect them to be" comments, initially obfuscated by people underpowering them (you lower the price like that, and people are entering the club with humble and underpowered rigs).

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #2,415 of 3,915
I don't think Adorama trying to sell broken units at a discount is a good sign. At least hobble together two broken pairs to make a complete set.

Also, perhaps it's just me, but I feel like I've observed that the driver sticking is immediate, or out of the box. A lot of "these aren't what I expect them to be" comments, initially obfuscated by people underpowering them (you lower the price like that, and people are entering the club with humble and underpowered rigs).
honestly just parting them out would be the way to go. headband, gimbles, good driver, bad driver as seperate listings. i like the headband but I know it’s a gonna flake into a million pieces one day, i could use one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back