HIFIMAN HE6 Amp Ranking Database
Sep 1, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #16 of 19
  1)  Viva Egoista + Abyss

2)  SR-009 + DIy T2

3)  HD-800 + Woo WA5

4)  LCD3 + Darkstar

Um...lol?

First, this section of the site is better for what you're proposing, as the nature of forum threads invites discussion: http://www.head-fi.org/atype/0/Articles

Second, a ranking of anything is inherently flawed (given subjectivity that will only be compounded with multiple contributors) and is also a disservice to the manufacturers (who's going to want to buy something ranked low?).

An article would only make sense if one or more authors had a large list of amps to rank. The functionality I proposed in the first post of this thread works better, because anyone who has heard multiple amps can post their own personal ranking, building a database of opinions (not an objective last word) to refer to. I understand that I can't prevent unrelated discussion in any thread, but I wanted to try to keep it to a minimum here, so most of the posts would be rankings, instead of having to search harder for them. If someone liking one product less than another is a disservice, then every comparison review ever is also a disservice.

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #17 of 19
1. Vintage 1979 Pioneer Spec 1 (preamp) and Spec 2 (amp @250wpc) - paid $280 for them tho cost is usually around $1000 or more for the pair.

2. Vintage 1977 Pioneer SX-1050 @120 wpc - paid $400

3. Vintage SA-9900 amp @110 wpc - paid $330

Spec is out of the speaker taps and is sublime - last two were out of the headphone jack and excellent.  Definitely recommend speaker taps.

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #18 of 19
  1. Vintage 1979 Pioneer Spec 1 (preamp) and Spec 2 (amp @250wpc) - paid $280 for them tho cost is usually around $1000 or more for the pair.

2. Vintage 1977 Pioneer SX-1050 @120 wpc - paid $400

3. Vintage SA-9900 amp @110 wpc - paid $330

Spec is out of the speaker taps and is sublime - last two were out of the headphone jack and excellent.  Definitely recommend speaker taps.

I've since used a speaker tap connector for both the SX-1050 and SA-9900 integrated like I did with my Spec system...............same amazing results.  Powerful speaker amps = bliss with the HE-6.  And a note to those who own a HE-400 - I've set mine up exactly like the HE-6 (full mod package including Vegan pads taped on, felt mod, Blutack mod, open grill mod and Lohb suspension pad - and the sound is very close to the HE-6.  Visceral bass and an openness that rivals my HD800. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back