Hifiman HE6? A complement to HD 800?
Jun 12, 2016 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Gamergtx260

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All, 

Its not even a month since I bought the HD 800 (Sounds great after super dupont mod) and I have been reading the forums "again" for my next headphones :frowning2: Damn you headfi!
Anyway, I came across HE6 and how they sound well when driven properly.

So, I have two questions.

1. Could it be a complement to the HD 800? 
2. Can the Marantz HD DAC1 have enough juice to drive these cans?

Thanks

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 13
Hello All, 

Its not even a month since I bought the HD 800 (Sounds great after super dupont mod) and I have been reading the forums "again" for my next headphones :frowning2: Damn you headfi!
Anyway, I came across HE6 and how they sound well when driven properly.

So, I have two questions.

1. Could it be a complement to the HD 800? 
2. Can the Marantz HD DAC1 have enough juice to drive these cans?

Thanks

1. Yes, absolutely my favorite combo. I use the two more then anything else.

2. NO. It will make sound, but you will never come to the realization of what the HE-6 is capable of when proper driven by a quality speaker amp or one of the few headphone amps that can power it.

Jun 15, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 13
  Thank you. Seems like I'm out of luck. I don't want to buy another amp, atleast for now.
How does the Beyer T1 2nd gen compare to HD 800s?

Well, if you're looking for different sound signature, it seems you'd better look thoughtfully in the direction of LCD-2. 

But if you want something truly different - closed, intimate sound stage, rolled off treble, punchy bass - PM-3 is your natural choice. 
Surprisingly good for the price.

Jun 15, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 13
I'm also intrigued by the Audezes. But I'm not sure which one will suit me (LCD2, LCDX or LCD3 maybe also the XC's since I don't have a closed headphone), unfortunately I can't audition them before buying. If it costs way more than what I can afford now, I can also wait and save up for a year or two before getting the Stax of course :)

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 13
  Thank you my lcd xc's are on the way and maybe also the HD DVA 600 amp. Will post a review after I get my hands on them.

And I bought lcd-2 (Non-Fazor) today. 
As a compliment to my HE-560 (which sound signature is close to your HD-800). 
The same purpose as yours. 

But I'm already enjoying them :) 

Boys and toys...

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 13
Sooo... I got my LCD XC's today. I'm listening to them while writing this. Quick review :
It has the mids comparable or equal to the HD 600s ( which I honestly think has the best mids of the hedphones I tried ) and the bass is awesome, tight and punchy. Also the treble is well extended and never harsh. Which means this is the end game for me? Maybe :)

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 13
I'm listening to Iron Maiden's Phantom of the Opera and the guitars sound soooo how to put it, musical? on the XC's. I hate to admit but it is even better than my HD 800s, though it doesn't have that speed or soundstage/imaging, XC's are very very good cans :)

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #13 of 13
Hello fellow headfiers, I'm reusing my old thread since now I have "up"ped my game to the HE6 and the schiit mjolnir/Gungnir stack. Question now is, is the mjolnir powerful enough to make the HE6's shine? I see from the tech specs that the HE6 needs 5W @ 50 ohms and mjolnir has the same. Has anyone tried them already? Thanks a lot!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back