Hifiman HE560 vs Monoprice M1060 & Headhphone till max 500
Aug 29, 2017 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Duke03700

New Head-Fier
Heyo Head-Fiers,

I am currently in the process of upgrading from my old cheap 100$ Sennheisers to something decent.

After loads of online research and listening to the HE400i's i came to the conclusion that the HE560 should be a pretty good match for me (ppl say its a good step up from the HE400i's).

But now there is talk everywhere about the Monoprice M1060 and it "supposedly" outperforming Headphones in a much higher price bracket.

Is there anyone who listened to both the HE560 and M1060 and could give me a quick opinion about the two?

Thanks in Advance
Duke

Aug 29, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 9
Heyo Head-Fiers,

its me again, just wanna post a little update about what i found out.

I just saw a few pictures of the HE560 and am wondering now if there are diffeent revisions of it?
I saw one HE560 with 2.5mm jacks and another with ?MMX? jacks..

there seem to be diiferent "Boxes" aswell in which they come (A Wooden/Metal one and one that looks exactly like the box from the HE400i).
Are there any other differrences like different sound signature etc.?

I am asking about the revisions cause i can get HE560's that are only a few weeks old for a pretty good price (Invoice and all included) and i appears that they have MMX connectors.

Kind Regards
Duke

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 9
HE560 with MMX connectors are the original release ones. The 2.5mm connections are the current production ones. I can't comment on the Monoprice headphones because I have not heard them, but from reading they require some mods to have great sound.
I have been eyeing the HE560 myself since I love the HE400S and am curious what the next level can bring.

Aug 29, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 9
Heyo Head-Fiers,

I am currently in the process of upgrading from my old cheap 100$ Sennheisers to something decent.

After loads of online research and listening to the HE400i's i came to the conclusion that the HE560 should be a pretty good match for me (ppl say its a good step up from the HE400i's).

But now there is talk everywhere about the Monoprice M1060 and it "supposedly" outperforming Headphones in a much higher price bracket.

Is there anyone who listened to both the HE560 and M1060 and could give me a quick opinion about the two?

Thanks in Advance
Duke
I've already seen an analysis where they said that the HE 560 would be the next step for those who like the HD600 as a very neutral headphone, if neutrality is something that interests you ... Well, you already know what to buy.

Aug 29, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 9
Hmm interesting i didnt know that they have a similar sound signature to the HD600 (havent heard that one before). I Thought that the HE560's are basically a better HE400i's with more clarity soundstage bass etc.
I had the H400i's (with 2.5mm) and quite liked them, the only thing i wanted is a bit more quantity in the bass department :). Really liked the quality of the bass everything sounded very snappy and fast.
I am also open to suggestions if anyone knows a Headphone like the 400i just with abit more bass quantity (not looking for closed,on ear, or sennheiser's) up to max. 500 Euro.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 9
Hmm interesting i didnt know that they have a similar sound signature to the HD600 (havent heard that one before). I Thought that the HE560's are basically a better HE400i's with more clarity soundstage bass etc.
I had the H400i's (with 2.5mm) and quite liked them, the only thing i wanted is a bit more quantity in the bass department :). Really liked the quality of the bass everything sounded very snappy and fast.
I am also open to suggestions if anyone knows a Headphone like the 400i just with abit more bass quantity (not looking for closed,on ear, or sennheiser's) up to max. 500 Euro.
How about the philips Fidelio X2 ? It is open, has strong and detailed bass and has a very wide sound stage.

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #7 of 9
So ive read up on the Fidelio X2's and it looks like they are a real great "Bang for the Buck" but from what i did read it seems like they are good but not great at anything? atleast thats what i got from a few review's.
Ill Probably still order them from amazon (can send back) just to try them and get an idea of their sound for myself, since there are few topics as difficult to find someone who likes exactly the same music and type of headphone as oneself :).
I am looking for a Headphone that i am satisfied with in the long run and not looking to upgrade in a year hehe.

Amp wise i like to get the Lyr 2 since its a Hybrid Tube amp that can be used with the LISST Tubes and has a boat load of Power. Usage is for Music, Movies and Gaming.
Like i said before the HE400i's sounded great but lacking quantity in Bass (LOVE the Planar Bass).

New HE400i's are a GREAT value at the prices you have in the USA (around 250$) but here in Europe they are around 340€ (400$). But sometimes there are very lightly used (with warranty) HE560's,HE500 etc on ebay for around 400€ where i think 60€ more than the HE400i's could possible get me a great improvement over them.

Thanks again and i really appreciate all the comments and people that try to help me :)
Duke

Aug 31, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 9
Heyo guys a quick update from me,

I just bought a pair of Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart's from a fellow Head-Fi'er and now waiting for them to arrive :) -> cant wait aaaahhh.
I know they're alot different from what i was comparing in this thread but i just love their design and they seem to be a more "fun" and not fatiguing Headphone (not that im saying the other ones are fatiguing etc.).
I will update this thread once they arrive and had a bit of time to listen to them.

Also i emailed the Hifiman Support about how amny HE560 Revisions there are and what changed.
Quote Hifiman Support:
Hi there, well the difference is the sockets. Thats it, the drivers are the same everything else is the same.

There should be no audible difference in the connectors but the cable did change so its more likely thats where the sound change is actually from, as you cant use the same cable with each........ but no, the headphones are the same bar the connector.

Mark

--End Quote--

I also found out they changed the beautiful Wood/Metal box to the one the HE400i's (Pleather Box) comes in cause of them being damaged in transport too often.

Greetings,
Duke

Aug 31, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 9
Heyo guys a quick update from me,

I just bought a pair of Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart's from a fellow Head-Fi'er and now waiting for them to arrive :) -> cant wait aaaahhh.
I know they're alot different from what i was comparing in this thread but i just love their design and they seem to be a more "fun" and not fatiguing Headphone (not that im saying the other ones are fatiguing etc.).
I will update this thread once they arrive and had a bit of time to listen to them.

Also i emailed the Hifiman Support about how amny HE560 Revisions there are and what changed.
Quote Hifiman Support:
Hi there, well the difference is the sockets. Thats it, the drivers are the same everything else is the same.

There should be no audible difference in the connectors but the cable did change so its more likely thats where the sound change is actually from, as you cant use the same cable with each........ but no, the headphones are the same bar the connector.

Mark

--End Quote--

I also found out they changed the beautiful Wood/Metal box to the one the HE400i's (Pleather Box) comes in cause of them being damaged in transport too often.

Greetings,
Duke
Taking advantage of the topic I would like to ask a question, I intend to buy Schiit Fulla 2 and use it with Bravo Audio V2 to have a neutral sound and a colorful sound when connecting an amplifier (BAV2) to a preamp (Fulla 2), does the amplifier cancel the preamplifier sound, or is it possible to use both without disconnecting RCA cables ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back