Hifiman HE560 - Issue or just a power hungry headphone?
Sep 20, 2022 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DiegoBRRSPF

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I've recently purchased a Hifiman HE560, and I'm using it with two different amps - a SMSL SH-9 and a Topping A90. At least the A90 is well know for deliver an excellent power output.

But, with both the amps, I need to set the gain to high and even then up the volume almost to the amp limit (for instance, 80-85 on the SH-9) to get a really good volume (well, I like my music loud...).

So, anyone has a similar experience with this headphone? Is it normal to need such high volume on these amps to get a good loud volume? I'm kind of a noob, and I'm afraid I got a defective unit.

Specs:
- Sensitivity : 90dB
- Impedance : 45 Ohms

Thanks in advance!

Sep 20, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 5
Hey, I have the A90 and he560 and there's something wrong because even single ended you don't need more than 12 on high gain to be blaring loud. If you have a multimeter check the cable, but even quicker is swap out the 6.35mm adapter if you have a spare, since those can go bad too.
It should show the right ohm rating and checking for shorts in the cable is easy even with a cheapo multimeter.

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 5
Hi!

I've recently purchased a Hifiman HE560, and I'm using it with two different amps - a SMSL SH-9 and a Topping A90. At least the A90 is well know for deliver an excellent power output.

But, with both the amps, I need to set the gain to high and even then up the volume almost to the amp limit (for instance, 80-85 on the SH-9) to get a really good volume (well, I like my music loud...).

So, anyone has a similar experience with this headphone? Is it normal to need such high volume on these amps to get a good loud volume? I'm kind of a noob, and I'm afraid I got a defective unit.

Specs:
- Sensitivity : 90dB
- Impedance : 45 Ohms

Thanks in advance!
I agree with dunring something's not right. You shouldn't have to use high gain at 85% volume, even if you like to listen really loud.

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 5
To @DiegoBRRSPF , here is an except from an article on ‘soundphilereview.com’. This says it all:
E378A9FB-D992-4BDF-9BE8-C288BC97806F.jpeg

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 5
To @DiegoBRRSPF , here is an except from an article on ‘soundphilereview.com’. This says it all:

For good performance in terms of headroom/dynamic range they need power, but (at least with 560v2 I had) it doesn't take all that much to get them loud.
Keep in mind, even just 90dB if sustained too long can be enough to cause hearing damage*

(don't know about the topping or smsl- would be surprised if they can't get the 560 loud- suggest asking on the he-560 thread which is still fairly active)

*As a side note, sometimes find that my own tendency to crank up a headphone is because a freqency or dynamic my ears are looking for is being masked by the headphones signature. Sometimes experimentation with EQ or DSP can draw out those elements at lower listening volumes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back