Hifiman HE400se
Dec 7, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #588 of 688
My 400se arrived today. I bought them as replacement for 400i 2020, but I am not quite sure whether this was a good move.

Will give them a few days, maybe love will come :wink:

Dec 8, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #589 of 688
My 400se arrived today. I bought them as replacement for 400i 2020, but I am not quite sure whether this was a good move.

Will give them a few days, maybe love will come :wink:
Would be interesting to hear the differences/similarities between the HE400SE and the HE400I 2020.

Dec 8, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #590 of 688
I would say that 400i 2020 appeared darker / fuller whereas 400se are brighter / thinner. This may change over time. What will not change are the cheap looking silver painted plastic cups. I thing 400i 2020 is positioned higher than 400se. 400i 2020 are not available at EU shops anymore, but they are listed on Hifiman's page and are priced higher than the 400se.

I will never know why I switched. As they say "curiosity killed the cat" :wink:

Dec 21, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #592 of 688
Dekoni Hybrid Elite and HE400SE are compatible. A little more angled but a lot more nicer!
1703175778493.png

These headphones are worth it!

Sound: Pads are a little thicker than stock which makes them feel less "paranoid" in your head. Nice the kick got more punch to it and sound is a little more airy!

Glad I did not do the grill mod. This added 10% more airy to the sound.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #596 of 688
Yes, I saw that and the comparison to the Stax. However, still not sure what to think. I've read statements like "it plays like it costs 10 times its price or more" enough times to become jaded of hyperbolic language in audiophilia, but I know it's not that uncommon to run planar headphones that way. I've never seen anyone try it with such a budget offering, though. If the claim is legit, the value proposition seems kinda absurd for someone who already owns such amps.

So I just you to tell it straight, realistically, does it actually scale that much? If you had to rank technical ability on a scale (F to S or 1 to 7, whichever way you like), where would you put the HE400SE amped by HP amps and amped by speaker amps in relation to other headphones you've heard?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #597 of 688
Yes, I saw that and the comparison to the Stax. However, still not sure what to think. I've read statements like "it plays like it costs 10 times its price or more" enough times to become jaded of hyperbolic language in audiophilia, but I know it's not that uncommon to run planar headphones that way. I've never saw anyone try it with such a budget offering, though. If the claim is legit, the value proposition seems kinda absurd for someone who already owns such amps.

So I just you to tell it straight, realistically, does it actually scale that much? If you had to rank technical ability on a scale (F to S or 1 to 7, whichever way you like), where would you put the HE400SE amped by HP amps and amped by speaker amps in relation to other headphones you've heard?

I've got a Rega Brio coming in. That might make it more interesting to you.

But yes it scales extremely well. So does the Sundara. They are like HE-6. Some planars are like that. Definitely not all. But some. Edition XS doesn't scale at all from the speaker taps. I'm working on the XS article these days.

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #598 of 688
Yes, I saw that and the comparison to the Stax. However, still not sure what to think. I've read statements like "it plays like it costs 10 times its price or more" enough times to become jaded of hyperbolic language in audiophilia, but I know it's not that uncommon to run planar headphones that way. I've never seen anyone try it with such a budget offering, though. If the claim is legit, the value proposition seems kinda absurd for someone who already owns such amps.

I don't like rankings generally, and making one would require me to do a lot of work. I don't make rankings based on memory.

Anyway - if you have a good speaker amp, I'd say the HE400SE competes with many 10k+ headphones in a normal rig.

However, not all speaker amps are the same - far from it. I can only speak from what I've heard in my setups

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #600 of 688
I don't really like the headphones but bass-heavy recordings sound so good:

I wish I had never heard these bass qualities because now I'm looking for new headphones. :cry:

I just got my 2. Pair(32Ohm version)😅

You should look for a DAC👍

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back