Hifiman HE400i ver.2020 -dedicated amplifier or balanced cable?
Nov 2, 2021 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jaeger 77

Head-Fier
Hello friends!
I have a pair of Hifiman HE400i ver. 2020 cans connected to iFi ZEN DAC thru unbalanced jack. I fell many times that amplifier included in the ZEN is weak and cannot drive properly these cans: low volume sometimes,somewhat narrow scene and weaker details. I'm wonder if added something like ZEN CAN in the chain will boosted peformance of these cans or simply get a way cheaper balanced cable for them and hooking up to ZEN's balanced 4.4 jack will do the same as CAN at a significant lower cost... If so,please give some links with balanced cables or otherwise tell me if it worth to invest in ZEN CAN and set a fine stack with ZEN DAC.
Thank you very much!

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 6
The impedance is really low on the HE-400i 2020 of which I also own. This makes them pretty easy to drive. Adding something into the audio chain is not going to cure what you hear at low volume. Going "balanced" will reduce common ground noise and add power if done in differential form on the amp side. I say look at new headphones if it really bothers you.

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 6
Is not about the impedance is about the very low sensitivity/efficiency of these particular model wich is only 93 db and thats make them hard to drive on ZEN DAC. But you're right,probably i should look on other headphones rather than throw money on an dedicated amplifier.

Nov 4, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 6
Try the Power Match setting if you haven't already? Adding a balanced cable increases the power output by almost 400%! That may help you get more out of the amp without adding a ton of cost or double amping. The new cable will run you $25 - $50 USD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back