HIFIMAN HE400i 2020 Version
Jan 23, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #106 of 164
i posted that in other thread but it is worth posting here for somebody who wants to improve the HE400i 2020
for those pads you need to purchase also plastic hifiman rings that are around 4$ on ali
here is a link for the pads - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

changes

1 - addressing the 8khz peak
2 - providing better sealed front volume that gives additional pressure to the low bass
3 - much deeper sound stage because the driver is further from the ear and the pads have larger opening
4 - better imaging because of the point number 3
the pads are for Fostex th900, 105mm wide, the plastic hifiman rings fit perfect inside those pads
Hcdced082db214bd1b53d2db4429af82aP.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #107 of 164
How is quality control on these headphones? I've had to return 2 Sennheiser HD 560s due to lose screws that won't tighten but I've also heard bad things about hifiman QC. Has it improved any ?

Jan 26, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #108 of 164
How is quality control on these headphones? I've had to return 2 Sennheiser HD 560s due to lose screws that won't tighten but I've also heard bad things about hifiman QC. Has it improved any ?

I haven't seen this issue anywhere else but I did have an issue with my 400i 2020. One of the screws that connects the right cup popped out one day. It took a couple of months and a bunch of follow up but Hifiman did get me a new screw that is staying in place.

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #112 of 164
I recently purchased the Hifiman 400i 2020 and they should be here tomorrow (an open box set off their website as mentioned above). While this is not my first experience with planar cans, I am none the less excited. The mobius was my first taste of planar and I loved them but their build is horrible. Kept breaking in the same spot. I digress. I was ultimately wondering if the EVGA Nu Audio sound card (their original one, linked for specs. scroll down the page some) would be enough to push the 400i's? I got the card when I was building my current PC in preparation and anticipation of getting into the headphone hobby after getting my taste with the mobius.

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #117 of 164
I received my HD 400i 2020. Finding the earpads to be rather itchy... Anyone else had this issue ?
I found them kind of itchy too. And too small. I ended up getting the ZMF Auteur pads, which are so much more comfortable.

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #118 of 164
Are you in the UK by any chance? When I type ZMF Ori pads in to Amazon I get many different listings, but I would really like to change the pads. Does it make the sound worse by doing this?
No, I'm in the US. The sound does not seem negatively affected to me, very much the same, if not better. I had to fiddle constantly with the original pads for a decent fit and sound.

As for the pads, I went direct to ZMF - https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/ori-pads

Jan 30, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #119 of 164
I think my unit has a bit of driver imbalance; the left side is a bit quieter than the right. I don't feel like going through the hassle of getting a replacement so I guess I'll just adjust the balance with EQ.

Feb 15, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #120 of 164
Just 8 pages? This headphone is the best in the 400 line hifiman has ever made.
Not recommended to use out of a smartphone, the more power the better! They scale very good with dedicated desktop amps and if available xlr balanced. This phone is a great surprise and the best HE400i ever beeing built till now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back