HIFIMAN HE400i 2020 Version
Nov 21, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #92 of 164
I've noticed there are HE5XX from HIFIMAN. They are a little bit more expensive than 400i 2020. Could you tell me is the price difference worth it? I can't find any comparsion between those two...And it's hard for me two "guess" what's exactly is better in 5XX that requires more money. :p

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #93 of 164
I've noticed there are HE5XX from HIFIMAN. They are a little bit more expensive than 400i 2020. Could you tell me is the price difference worth it? I can't find any comparsion between those two...And it's hard for me two "guess" what's exactly is better in 5XX that requires more money. :p
The difference is 2X - 1 + i

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #95 of 164
I own both:)
It rather depends on your preferences. I know a lot of guys who would prefer the 5XX to the HE400i, but I would personally much rather listen to the latter.
The 5XX is an aggressive bugger that reminds me of the kind of forwardness I get from Grados. The HE400i is like a slightly warmer Sundara/Ananda/Arya(Arya is way brighter though). They’re all tuned the same albeit for the highs that, apart from the Ananda, get brighter the more money you throw at them. The cheap Hifiman is like a Sundara with a smidgen more bass and a much smoother response in the high mids/low treble which to my ears translates into a more versatile headphone.
Put another way: I don’t have to watch what album I put on. It never renders less than perfectly produced music unpalatable like fx the Arya and 5XX do.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #96 of 164
Fantastic cans even without looking at the price! For me the 400i is the better phone compared to 4xx and Sundara. More even response, much better built, better comfort. Outstanding value!

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #97 of 164
Loving this headphone! I have a fairly small head though and am not loving the headband. Was thinking of modding it to add more memory foam or even hack in a suspension strap, similar to the sundara :)
Any thoughts on doing this?

Edit - playing around with some fabric I think I'm going to wrap up some of the sides of the headband to flush things out! Should eliminate the hotspot I'm getting on the top

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #98 of 164
Update - may have solved my own problem! Ordered a fostex replacement strap and used some elastics. So I guess it's a suspension system now. Fit really well and am happy enough so far.

Once I tweak the elastic system I may cut off the memory foam at the top for weight improvement

Attachments

• DSC_0049.JPG
    DSC_0049.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0052.JPG
    DSC_0052.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0055.JPG
    DSC_0055.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #101 of 164
Have had these headphones for about 2 weeks now, and am enjoying them very much. A tremendous value at the price. Any suggestions for balanced cables for these? I'm running them from an iFi IDSD Signature with 4.4mm outlet. Thanks in advance.

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #102 of 164
Have had these headphones for about 2 weeks now, and am enjoying them very much. A tremendous value at the price. Any suggestions for balanced cables for these? I'm running them from an iFi IDSD Signature with 4.4mm outlet. Thanks in advance.
They really are a fantastic value. The stock cable leaves a lot to be desired though... way too stiff. I recently purchased a set of cables for my LCD-2 from Halby on Etsy. Really impressed with the quality and there are tons of customization options. Super fast turnaround time too (6 days from order placement to receival). I plan to pick up a set for my 400i soon. I went with a mini-XLR termination on the source side and run a mini-XLR to 1/4" interconnect to my Heresy. Wanted the flexibility to run both SE and balanced in the future when I do end up getting a balanced amp.

If you're looking for something less expensive there's NewFantasia cables on Amazon. I have a set (SE) I use with my 400i and it's pretty nice for the money.

Jan 18, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #103 of 164

I wish I had known about the Hart Audio modular cable system when I first got into this hobby.

Jan 20, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #104 of 164
Well I went psycho and cut out the headband padding and 'finalized' my mounting of the fostex strap. It's awesome! I tied strings to the top nubs to lessen the floppability of the strap which is very easily done based on the design of the 400i 2020.

The material of the initial headband was interesting to cut out. Typical foam and memory foam stuff. Am hesitant to go further as some of the rubber may be used as guard rails for the adjustment mechanism.

Guess I'm keeping these! Lol. Of note, this is only useful for people who feel that the stock headband is uncomfortable :wink:

Honestly though despite my hack job of finishing touches (mount points and string used from leftover piano sheet ties), the comfort rivals anything i've owned (which isn't far reaching, but have found the AKG suspension-style method to be the best)

Attachments

• DSC_0064.JPG
    DSC_0064.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #105 of 164
Ordered the HE400i a few weeks ago and it should be arriving next week, hopefully. Going to be my first pair of planars. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back