Hifiman HE400 or AKG K7XX (Massdrop) ?
Jun 9, 2016 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

treyking11

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all! been away from the scene for a while (threatening wife...), but things have settled and i have the itch to move a few set of cans and acquire some new ones. i am looking at the massdrop K7XX, and because i dont get the chance to listen to open cans nearly as often as i like, i would be selling another open pair to make room for them. the pair that comes to mind is my Hifiman HE-400's (the original blue ones, not the recent release). is this a sizable upgrade? i hear great things, but if isnt a big difference, then i will just stay with what i have. i am using the sony PHA-1 as my desktop amp at work, with lossy files from a MBP. i really like the hifimans, the bass is great, but they are not easy to push, and they are heavy as hell. but, they do sound great! i have denon d2000's as my main cans at work, and put the he-400's on when nobody is sitting close by, because they can be heard 20 feet away... i appreciate any input, thanks in advance! 

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 8
Both my HE-400 and K7XX are at the office and I'm at home or I'd offer to listen to a song of your choice and describe the differences I hear, but just from recent memory, I'd call it a side-grade, though I'm sure better ears here can give you more technical analysis.

To my ears, I find the K7XX to have more detail, better sound stage, but also sharper in treble, which may or may not be good depending on your preference. 

They are much more comfortable and lighter, though, than the HE-400.

But I like the bass extension of the HE-400 better.

I really like both, so to me, I don't see the K7XX as totally eclipsing the HE-400.

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 8
Have to totally agree with that. The 400's have much better bass but the K7xx's have more detail and stage. I don't own both but have heard the K7xx's a couple of times and liked them but I have other cans for detail and soundstage so the 400's are when I want to just have fun.

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 8
After I got the K7XX, I got rid of the HE-400. I'd say that they are comparable in class--neither an upgrade over the other. I don't know that I agree that detail is that much better in K7XX because of the planar magnetic transient response the resolution is really good with HE-400. I guess it depends on whether or not the detail is in the treble or throughout the frequency range, because the HE-400 have great bass resolution.

Main reason I kept the K7XX is they are more comfortable, easier to drive, and a bit more natural sounding to me.

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 8
After I got the K7XX, I got rid of the HE-400. I'd say that they are comparable in class--neither an upgrade over the other. I don't know that I agree that detail is that much better in K7XX because of the planar magnetic transient response the resolution is really good with HE-400. I guess it depends on whether or not the detail is in the treble or throughout the frequency range, because the HE-400 have great bass resolution.

Main reason I kept the K7XX is they are more comfortable, easier to drive, and a bit more natural sounding to me.

Definitely not much better detail to my ears, and it is quite possible that I am remembering the K7XX as more detailed based on my perception of the sharper treble.

I do agree that the K7XX do sound more natural. 

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 8
@treyking11 Probably the safest way to know is to get the K7XX first, compare, and then return K7XX if it doesn't strike you as better, or if you like it better, then sell the HE-400.

I really like both, though the HE-400 have had more head time because my K7XX live mostly in a co-worker's office since I lend out 'phones out often and I've not spent enough time with the K7XX yet.

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 8
thanks everybody for your time and input. i usually put the 400's on at work and am not really trying not to pay too much attention to the music and details, so maybe the AKG's would be a distraction if they were too clear! 
L3000.gif
 that would be a nice problem to have! massdrop does not take returns as far as i know, so i may just hold off. thanks again for everyone's thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back