Hifiman HE1000 Stealth vs Arya Stealth
Jan 15, 2024 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

econsumer666

Head-Fier
I'm trying to make up my mind with what to replace my Sennheiser 660S2 as I find them to be fine but extremely unspectacular. Comfort is very important and I also have a good cable for the Hifiman which I bought on a whim some years ago so I'm deciding between these two models, the HE1000 Stealth being some 30% more expensive of course. Kinda torn especially taking into account that I like Arya's design significantly more.

Can anyone tell me if the HE1000 Stealth has a fuller midrange (particularly for vocals and/or piano) than the Arya Stealth (not organic) and has maybe a bit less of the recessed mids for which Hifiman is kinda known? I've been finding contradicting information about this. As I'm not a fan of hollow voices, I'm kinda liking a lot what I'm reading here https://nobordersaudiophile.wordpre...e-pinnacle-of-mids-focused-planar-musicality/ but then it's just someone's perception I guess :-D

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 25
HE1000 stealth is warmer in the lower mids and has better bass dynamics. Upper mids with the dip is the same between both, you'd need to EQ or pad-swap to change that. Resolution and general 'technicalities' are also a touch better.

HE1000 is straight up better if you can swing the cost. Longer warranty and balanced cable included too.

Jan 15, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 25
I'm trying to make up my mind with what to replace my Sennheiser 660S2 as I find them to be fine but extremely unspectacular. Comfort is very important and I also have a good cable for the Hifiman which I bought on a whim some years ago so I'm deciding between these two models, the HE1000 Stealth being some 30% more expensive of course. Kinda torn especially taking into account that I like Arya's design significantly more.

Can anyone tell me if the HE1000 Stealth has a fuller midrange (particularly for vocals and/or piano) than the Arya Stealth (not organic) and has maybe a bit less of the recessed mids for which Hifiman is kinda known? I've been finding contradicting information about this. As I'm not a fan of hollow voices, I'm kinda liking a lot what I'm reading here https://nobordersaudiophile.wordpre...e-pinnacle-of-mids-focused-planar-musicality/ but then it's just someone's perception I guess :-D
HEK Stealth has less of a midrange dip then every other phone they make or have made. It's a better headphone than the Arya Stealth. Its a bit warmer sounding too, but has a little spike centered at 6.5k which bothers me more than most.

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:47 AM Post #4 of 25
Interesting, looks like I'll eventually have to get them. Ordered the Aryas for now as there are some very good deals in EU (no so much for the HE1000 Stealth) but will be able to send them back :-D Does anyone have experience with a refurbished HE1000 Stealth from Hifiman directly? They seem to have a european warehouse for this particular deal which means no taxes but I'm quite a bit hesitant not knowing what to expect. The refurbished 660S2 from sennheiser directly that I have look completely new.

Jan 16, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 25
Interesting, looks like I'll eventually have to get them. Ordered the Aryas for now as there are some very good deals in EU (no so much for the HE1000 Stealth) but will be able to send them back :-D Does anyone have experience with a refurbished HE1000 Stealth from Hifiman directly? They seem to have a european warehouse for this particular deal which means no taxes but I'm quite a bit hesitant not knowing what to expect. The refurbished 660S2 from sennheiser directly that I have look completely new.
Not first hand, but from the consensus here it seems to be good -> very good. It *could* mean that they have to give it more rigorous testing since buyers will be looking for trouble with a refurb than when they were originally shipped. If I was running the show thats what I would do to cut the odds of trouble down stream.

I really like open box, because somebody hated them and put 5 hrs on them, or in the case of something like a Susvara - I'd wager over half of the open boxes sold were just dealers with too much stock/in need of liquid cash and willing to make $400 on them instead of ~$2.5k. With the HEK Stealth being quite hot, the 2nd choice isn't that likely at this point. The Arya Stealth isn't flying off the shelves to the same extent - so probably a real issue that was fixed.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #7 of 25
HEK Stealth has less of a midrange dip then every other phone they make or have made. It's a better headphone than the Arya Stealth. Its a bit warmer sounding too, but has a little spike centered at 6.5k which bothers me more than most.

I'm really reading contradicting information regarding this one. Here is a quote from one one other reviewer:
The he1000 v2 probably has more mids. The he1000 Stealth is definitely a (slightly) brighter headphone than the Arya Stealth and considering it has almost identical response from 800Hz downward, the different balance probably makes you perceive the HE1000 Stealth as less "meaty" and slightly less mid-forward. I honestly can't understand how can someone perceive the HE1000 Stealth as mid forward compared to the Arya Stealth. as the Arya has more energy from 1000Hz to 2300Hz, from 1000Hz downward they are identical, and the HE1000 Stealth has more energy from 2500HZ upward, especially for the air frequencies.

It's like the opposite to what have been suggested by some other reviewers. Very confusing :-D

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #8 of 25

I bought my Stealth refurbished direct from Hifiman. They're fine, but do have some scuffs and feel a bit loose on the hinges. I'd probably buy new if I could go back. Shipping took about a week and I didn't have to pay any extra taxes. Also make sure you have a good cable, the cables that come with the HE1000 are absolute garbage and give off a disgusting "medical" vibe.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #9 of 25
I'm really reading contradicting information regarding this one. Here is a quote from one one other reviewer:

It's like the opposite to what have been suggested by some other reviewers. Very confusing :-D
The HEK v2 was my likely pick in '21-'22, but I didn't pull the trigger because: the bass impact is still short of the HE-6 SE, and the stage size is very large (great for lots of music) but does not scale down in size for intimate works. A look at the FR chart from one of the sites that has both Stealth and v2 will show that the 1.8k area is more recessed in the v2 - which is the point I was making. Above say 2.5k the Stealth is brighter - but the 6.5k mini rise is the only one that to my ears must get put dealt with, the v2 is easier/warmer and less bright. They like all HFM cans need PEQ IMO. PEQ will not fix the bass impact however, and the Stealth does better at that then the v2, and while the stage of all the HEK's do not scale fully down on intimate works the Stealth seems to do better at that then the others.

If you don't or won't use PEQ, and like a very large stage no matter the music and you find the brightness of HFM to be too much - then the v2 is the choice.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 25
Also make sure you have a good cable, the cables that come with the HE1000 are absolute garbage
I'm not into after market cables generally - DCA is fine for instance. But every HFM I have owned (11) the supplied cable is AUDIBLY not correct. This is really annoying, but, part of the "joy" of owning HFM. The round cup pads and rear screens and heandbands are also sub-standard as well. If the drivers and prices were not really good, there would be zero reason to get one. But the price points/sonics from the HE-400 Stealth to the HEK v2/Stealth are almost all outstanding, if not leading the pack (I add the HE-6 SE and HE-500 used into that formula as well.

Jan 16, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #11 of 25
The HEK v2 was my likely pick in '21-'22, but I didn't pull the trigger because: the bass impact is still short of the HE-6 SE, and the stage size is very large (great for lots of music) but does not scale down in size for intimate works. A look at the FR chart from one of the sites that has both Stealth and v2 will show that the 1.8k area is more recessed in the v2 - which is the point I was making. Above say 2.5k the Stealth is brighter - but the 6.5k mini rise is the only one that to my ears must get put dealt with, the v2 is easier/warmer and less bright. They like all HFM cans need PEQ IMO. PEQ will not fix the bass impact however, and the Stealth does better at that then the v2, and while the stage of all the HEK's do not scale fully down on intimate works the Stealth seems to do better at that then the others.

If you don't or won't use PEQ, and like a very large stage no matter the music and you find the brightness of HFM to be too much - then the v2 is the choice.

I see, well I don't think I'm getting the original V2 by any means, it's really between V2 Stealth and Arya Stealth when it comes to Hifiman. Other than that I guess there is nothing ideal, I've actually been considering Focal Clear MG and have been told by some that it's the only affordable option that sounds well with any type of music. Don't know, I'm afraid its soundstage is also too small and that's what I'm disliking listening to 660S2, they sound fine but due to the stage they just don't give me a feeling of something special at all. I did like LCD-X but they are absolutely unwearable, I can't imagine watching a movie wearing them it's just not fun.

Jan 16, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #12 of 25
Actually stumbled upon DCA Ether 2 which seems to be available second hand for the same price as a new HE1000 Stealth. Gotta read on this one, seems very lightweight but I do not anything about DCA at all.

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 25
I see, well I don't think I'm getting the original V2 by any means, it's really between V2 Stealth and Arya Stealth when it comes to Hifiman.
OK. The Stealth if you have equipment that supports it is a goodly amount better than the Arya Stealth (which is the best Arya IMO). Both are very good, but I prefer the HEK Stealth.
Other than that I guess there is nothing ideal, I've actually been considering Focal Clear MG and have been told by some that it's the only affordable option that sounds well with any type of music. Don't know,
Focal Clear has a bite to it. Any way you can audition any of these? If not, consider buying used so if you don't like it, you won't lose too much $ selling it.
I'm afraid its soundstage is also too small and that's what I'm disliking listening to 660S2, they sound fine but due to the stage they just don't give me a feeling of something special at all. I did like LCD-X but they are absolutely unwearable, I can't imagine watching a movie wearing them it's just not fun.
Yeah LCD-X 2021 is a fine can, but you have to have neck support if you plan on more than :20 min session. The biggest drawback of he 660S2 is the meh soundstage, followed by a lack of lower bass impact/heft (better than the HD-600/650) because but it's quick and the timbre is quite good. If the you have zeroed in on that as critical for your new can, all the long cup HFM's do stage size much better. The Clear is also not a big soundstage can.

What do you listen too? If a broad palette then the HEK Stealth is great. I listen to everything but C&W, rap, opera and dissonant metal. I currently have 3 headphones, and will buy one more can in the $1400-2500 bracket as my final can. I have 4 on my list, 2 of which I have heard. The HEK Stealth is the only one under $1999. With no mods and a littld judicious PEQ it's an exciting - even with some swagger headphone, but not fatiguing, and its quite comfortable.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #14 of 25
What do you listen too? If a broad palette then the HEK Stealth is great. I listen to everything but C&W, rap, opera and dissonant metal. I currently have 3 headphones, and will buy one more can in the $1400-2500 bracket as my final can. I have 4 on my list, 2 of which I have heard. The HEK Stealth is the only one under $1999. With no mods and a littld judicious PEQ it's an exciting - even with some swagger headphone, but not fatiguing, and its quite comfortable.

I listen to pretty much everything, opera too :-D also some gaming, except for - don't ask me how it's called, probably metal - where they shout at me all the time like crazy :-D So yeah, it better be an allrounder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back