Hifiman HE1000-SE
Feb 7, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #4,951 of 5,211
got any more suggestions for V2? Part of me really wants a DAP to free my phone up and still be portable. Other part of me is ok forgetting about portability entirely and going with most bang for buck in a desktop setup to get the most out of V2.

Budget is $1000, could go up to $1500.
Hifiman Serenade can be a good mid-fi option too, I think it is available as open box and there is an offer going on for open box items in the Hifiman web store, you can try it and return it if you don't like it, DAPs don't have much experience but heard good things about A&K SP3000 and Hiby RS8 but they cost a pretty penny.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #4,952 of 5,211
Hifiman Serenade can be a good mid-fi option too, I think it is available as open box and there is an offer going on for open box items in the Hifiman web store, you can try it and return it if you don't like it, DAPs don't have much experience but heard good things about A&K SP3000 and Hiby RS8 but they cost a pretty penny.
Serenade is a great suggestion and option. Those DAPs are indeed pricey. Anything good in the $1000-$1500 range? Anyone have experience/impressions on this? https://www.fiio.com/m15s

Feb 7, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #4,953 of 5,211
got any more suggestions for V2? Part of me really wants a DAP to free my phone up and still be portable. Other part of me is ok forgetting about portability entirely and going with most bang for buck in a desktop setup to get the most out of V2.

Budget is $1000, could go up to $1500.
Maybe try Fiio M17?

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #4,954 of 5,211
New happy owner of SE!, I also got the refurbished one and it looks & feels 100% new!!!
I remember a few years back getting this same SE and finding it incredibly dull. Not the same opinion now, I am enjoying it very much. Maybe my previous chain did not agree with it or it was just "early" in my music journey. SE with my Atrium Open are both keepers for good. :L3000:

Feb 8, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #4,955 of 5,211
Just got my SE yesterday, very pleased with the sound and feel..

I hear all the positives I read about and none of the negatives. Not too bright at all,

which was my main concern! Sound great on my V280, superb on the Mjolnir3, the clearity & soundstage is stunning!

Feb 8, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #4,956 of 5,211
How could the "About" section of a members profile not be accurate when the members fills in this information themselves?
If you mean that sometimes members don't update this section--then they definitely should. I know I do this way I'm not misleading anyone who may be interested in what gear I'm using.

The same can be said for those who post their gear in their signature if they don't update it.
You can't expect members to continuously include their gear in their posts all of the time, unless specifically asked. Anyway--I was just giving you a heads up incase you weren't aware of the "About" section.
Well said, I keep profile updated with the current gear I’m using as well as my signature. It’s especially helpful for newcomers with interest in knowing about specific gear.

Feb 8, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #4,957 of 5,211
I hear all the positives I read about and none of the negatives. Not too bright at all,
Received my SE this past Tuesday and thought they nay be bright form what some have reported--but I'm sharing the same experiences as you in not finding them bright, at all. This is exactly why one needs to listen to any headphone with their own ears, in their own system. The SE is an absolute pleasurable listen so far.

Feb 8, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #4,959 of 5,211
Just curious, do any of you run any EQ with these? Currently running the Oratory Parametric EQ with a slight boost to the bass but not quite sure what i like more. The added bass do make everything more fun to listen to but any advice is greatly appreciated.

Feb 8, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #4,960 of 5,211
Just curious, do any of you run any EQ with these? Currently running the Oratory Parametric EQ with a slight boost to the bass but not quite sure what i like more. The added bass do make everything more fun to listen to but any advice is greatly appreciated.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mez...eadphone-official-thread.959445/post-17549413 (post #4,665) discusses my use of Equalizer APO and the use of sine sweeps to detect and EQ down treble peaks specific to your ears. If you are used to neutral or Harman-like sound, the Oratory PEQ with some by-ear adjustments should suffice, but if you really want to get into the rabbit hole, consider getting a pair of in-ear mics. I've updated my profile's "About" page with links to the info I have written on EQ, HRTF measurements, and binaural head-tracking.

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #4,961 of 5,211
I also enjoy adding bass to… almost anything. Yep! Basshead here :wink: The HE1000se is the most capable of the HEK line in terms of low-end response; it will really slam if you EQ it right and avoid underpowering (It doesn’t need a lot). What I love about the se is that you can simultaneously have great, detailed, layered bass, without compromising detail retrieval or overall treble clarity.
I use PEQ on my ADI-2 FS, and ifi’s analog xbass on my preamp.
:beerchug:

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:13 AM Post #4,962 of 5,211
I also enjoy adding bass to… almost anything. Yep! Basshead here :wink: The HE1000se is the most capable of the HEK line in terms of low-end response; it will really slam if you EQ it right and avoid underpowering (It doesn’t need a lot). What I love about the se is that you can simultaneously have great, detailed, layered bass, without compromising detail retrieval or overall treble clarity.
I use PEQ on my ADI-2 FS, and ifi’s analog xbass on my preamp.
:beerchug:
Would love to hear your EQ settings! I tried the preset through Peace Equalizer that is named "Bass Boost". Boosts heavily the 10Hz, 21Hz, 24Hz and slightly 83Hz. Also added pre-amp to avoid clipping. The bass really slams! For me this turns the headphones into something really entertaining. I found myself just sitting for hours jamming to vocal trance, metal music and even movie trailers. After spending so much money on these headphones i have been almost panicking a bit "Is this really worth it?". But the more i play with these i am like "Hell to the yeah!".

Feb 10, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #4,963 of 5,211
Would love to hear your EQ settings! I tried the preset through Peace Equalizer that is named "Bass Boost". Boosts heavily the 10Hz, 21Hz, 24Hz and slightly 83Hz. Also added pre-amp to avoid clipping. The bass really slams! For me this turns the headphones into something really entertaining. I found myself just sitting for hours jamming to vocal trance, metal music and even movie trailers. After spending so much money on these headphones i have been almost panicking a bit "Is this really worth it?". But the more i play with these i am like "Hell to the yeah!".
Care to share full bass EQ settings?

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #4,964 of 5,211
Care to share full bass EQ settings?

This is just the bass boost preset

Code:
Device: all
Channel: all
Preamp: -11 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 10 Hz Gain 10.5 dB Q 1.41
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 21 Hz Gain 7.5 dB Q 1.41
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 42 Hz Gain 5 dB Q 1.41
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 83 Hz Gain 2.5 dB Q 1.41