Hifiman HE1000-SE
Jan 16, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #4,861 of 5,386
I've bought refurbished before they look brand new. If you're nervous just buy new. Hifiman is very responsive...
New means only from China, which means duties and taxes. Anyway, not so nervous maybe, I just made the order and now it's still discussed what to do so I'm locked. I feel like I get only 1-2 responses per day, which is still fine I guess, but need to get some conclusion really soon :).
I understand your frustration with the confusing communication on their end. I personally have confirmed these to be my endgame pair of headphones. So for me, the gamble of buying them refurbished was worth it. But if you need something now, there are other good options in the price bracket that these typically go for that you can get faster. Good luck with whatever you end up deciding!
I settled for these as well and want to keep them, so maybe that's why I also want them to look good (and sound, of course). Can't imagine other comparable headphones at this price right now.
I will probably pair them with Violectric HPA V222. But also considering a bit Schiit Mjolnir 3. Since you already have one, could you please share some thoughts? Mainly if the sound signature is also slightly warmer, I think that I would prefer it (instead of neutral to bright). V222 seems to be exactly that. I have no way how to test any of those two, unfortunately. Thanks.

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #4,863 of 5,386
New means only from China, which means duties and taxes. Anyway, not so nervous maybe, I just made the order and now it's still discussed what to do so I'm locked. I feel like I get only 1-2 responses per day, which is still fine I guess, but need to get some conclusion really soon :).

I settled for these as well and want to keep them, so maybe that's why I also want them to look good (and sound, of course). Can't imagine other comparable headphones at this price right now.
I will probably pair them with Violectric HPA V222. But also considering a bit Schiit Mjolnir 3. Since you already have one, could you please share some thoughts? Mainly if the sound signature is also slightly warmer, I think that I would prefer it (instead of neutral to bright). V222 seems to be exactly that. I have no way how to test any of those two, unfortunately. Thanks.

The sound signature of the combo I have is overall smooth, open, deep, and extremely detailed in all dimensions. One thing with these Hifiman planars is that they can come off as a bit bright if your chain doesn't ease those highs. The highs with this chain aren't harsh at all, which is something that I've had issues with in the past when using this and other planar headphones with other op amp and non class A amps and DS DACs. I'm not sure what is JUST from the MJ3, but the MJ3 with the BF2/64 is everything that I would want out of this headphone. Everything is extremely detailed without coming off as harsh; the bass is impactful without being overwhelming or muddying the mix; the headstage is wide and deep, but the instrumentation and different parts of the mix all still seem cohesive yet individually distinct in that stage; not fatiguing even after multiple hours of consistent use.

I don't have any immediate intention of getting rid of or upgrading anything in my chain. I feel extremely satisfied with where I have chosen to rest in this long-ass and expensive headphone journey. The headphones are amazing. The DAC is amazing. The amp is amazing. Put it all together, and it's beyond what words can succinctly describe in a forum post. I just love what I hear whenever I turn it all on. If this were my last combo for the next decade, I wouldn't be mad at all.

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #4,864 of 5,386
The headphones are amazing. The DAC is amazing. The amp is amazing. Put it all together, and it's beyond what words can succinctly describe in a forum post.
That's amazing. Exactly the state I would be happy to achieve.

Btw. I took the refurbished ones, we'll see what will happen. I can only hope for the best. It's not unreal when knowing your or others' experience here. This is helpful at least.

I already have as a DAC the Denafrips Pontus 2, which being r2r is already on the warmer side. Also nothing like entry level and is considered good value for money. It works perfectly in my speakers setup and I will use it also for the headphones.
I like what I read here about Mjolnir but also about the Violectric V222. The Mjolnir is in Europe about 350 Eur more expensive, but it's a piece of something, even when compared to V222, just for that substantial presence and weight difference I like it.
On the Violectric I like the pre-gain switches and ability to control the overall sound power for the headphones, and maybe it would be all I need. I'm confident it's excellent as well.
It's just hard to tell which one will better pair with Pontus in my case.

Jan 17, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #4,865 of 5,386
The sound signature of the combo I have is overall smooth, open, deep, and extremely detailed in all dimensions.
One more question here if I may - how much volume operations do you have when using HE1000SE with Mjolnir 3, like at which position of the volume knob do you usually listen to them? This is one concern I have since the HE1000SE are quite sensitive and Mjolnir 3 is quite powerful So whether the usable volume travel is not too short. This is what Violectric V222 solves with those pre-gain switches, but I don't see similar functionality on the Mjolnir 3.

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #4,866 of 5,386
One more question here if I may - how much volume operations do you have when using HE1000SE with Mjolnir 3, like at which position of the volume knob do you usually listen to them? This is one concern I have since the HE1000SE are quite sensitive and Mjolnir 3 is quite powerful So whether the usable volume travel is not too short. This is what Violectric V222 solves with those pre-gain switches, but I don't see similar functionality on the Mjolnir 3.
I find that I listen somewhere between 9:30 and 10 on the volume knob, on low gain, all via balanced in and out . So it's incredibly powerful and overkill for the SEs. But it just sounds so good!

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #4,867 of 5,386
I find that I listen somewhere between 9:30 and 10 on the volume knob, on low gain, all via balanced in and out . So it's incredibly powerful and overkill for the SEs. But it just sounds so good!
Thanks for confirming. Isn't it a bit limiting? Assuming the zero position is on 07:00 or so, that is travel distance of 1-2cm I guess. For the record, in the case of Violetctric V222 it's stated the best performance is between 12:00-02:00 and that is how the pre-gain switch is supposed to be set for particular headphones.
But again, I don't know if this can be compared to Mjolnir 3 in the same way. If it is not rocking on full potential for the HE1000SE at that low volume setting.

For you clearly, that's not the case :), I'm just curious in general about this.

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #4,868 of 5,386
Thanks for confirming. Isn't it a bit limiting? Assuming the zero position is on 07:00 or so, that is travel distance of 1-2cm I guess. For the record, in the case of Violetctric V222 it's stated the best performance is between 12:00-02:00 and that is how the pre-gain switch is supposed to be set for particular headphones.
But again, I don't know if this can be compared to Mjolnir 3 in the same way. If it is not rocking on full potential for the HE1000SE at that low volume setting.

For you clearly, that's not the case :), I'm just curious in general about this.
If you are worried that much about having the granular control for optimal power delivery and sound, maybe the V222 is what you need. I personally don’t care to be that granular at this point in my listening journey, as long as what I’m listening to brings a smile to my face. The MJ3 at 10AM on low gain with its stock configuration brings a smile to my face, and that’s the only metric that I really care about. Audiophilia nervosa be damned.

Keep in mind that I just let go of my portable audio chain (Thieaudio Monarch Mk IIs and Khadas Tea) after having bought some Apple AirPods Pro 2 for my on the go listening. Do they sound as good as what I had? Nope! But the convenience outweighed my audio obsession. Listening to my desk chain after walking around with the AirPods has made me appreciate just how amazingly good I already have it with the MJ3, BF2/64, and HE1000SE.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #4,869 of 5,386
I personally don’t care to be that granular at this point in my listening journey, as long as what I’m listening to brings a smile to my face.
No question about that. This is the single important thing.

I'm only trying to collect some info about the two options I'm considering. The best would be to test and compare them, and that's impossible for me. Mjolnir still seems to be even better value for money though, maybe even more future-proof.

Jan 17, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #4,870 of 5,386
No question about that. This is the single important thing.

I'm only trying to collect some info about the two options I'm considering. The best would be to test and compare them, and that's impossible for me. Mjolnir still seems to be even better value for money though, maybe even more future-proof.
I wholeheartedly agree that it is incredible value for money. Another thing to take into consideration is the ease at which you can swap something out or have it go back to the manufacturer/distributor for a replacement or a repair. If you're in the EU, and you don't have the patience dealing with the potential to go through a longer RMA process, then it might not be worth the hassle to go with Schiit. I have not heard a Violectric amp at all, unfortunately, so I cannot sway that decision one way or another, but they seem to have much better customer service in that part of the world, no? Whatever you end up landing on, I'm sure that it'll be a great addition to your audio chain.

Jan 18, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #4,871 of 5,386
Hi all, wondering if anyone can shed some light regarding the stock HE1000SE cables (black) for me?
What's the material HFM use for these? It's just that if they are standard, non-OFC then I'll probably get something like the Tripowin Granvia to replace them as it's a bit more flexible and uses OFC-Copper.
Oddly, I notice that the standard 'replacement' cable on HFMs website is more expensive than their 'Crystalline' version so I'm a bit confused as to their material quality.
Thanks
I’ve had a reply back from HiFiMan that states the cables are a crystalline copper and silver composite. I’ve asked exactly what ‘crystalline’ means as the only explanation I can see is that the structure is ‘crystal-like’.
Does anyone know whether these are, for example, silver-plated OFC Copper?
If so, I see no point in looking for an alternative based on the conductor material alone

Jan 18, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #4,872 of 5,386
I have not heard a Violectric amp at all, unfortunately, so I cannot sway that decision one way or another, but they seem to have much better customer service in that part of the world, no?
Actually, there is Schiit-Europe and they seem to be pretty great. I will go with Mjolnir 3. Thanks for all the information, it's always difficult to make decisions blindly, but this forum seems to work wonderfully. Now looking forward to (refurbished) HE1000SE and Mjolnir 3.

Jan 18, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #4,875 of 5,386
I’ve had a reply back from HiFiMan that states the cables are a crystalline copper and silver composite. I’ve asked exactly what ‘crystalline’ means as the only explanation I can see is that the structure is ‘crystal-like’.
Does anyone know whether these are, for example, silver-plated OFC Copper?
If so, I see no point in looking for an alternative based on the conductor material alone
Found a definition here:
https://www.chemeurope.com/en/encyc...ne Copper,purity values as crystalline copper.

Looks like it may well be a very high quality cable after all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back