Hifiman HE1000-SE
Dec 20, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #4,816 of 5,211
Had the opportunity to try out the HE1000SE, Arya Organic, and Arya Stealth. HE1000SE seemed like the clear winner to me, not surprising given its relative price. Did not perceive any sort of upper frequency harshness with the HE1000SE, while I did with the Stealth. What stood out to me the most about the HE1000SE was the overall clarity, the Organic and Stealth both sounded muddy in comparison on some tracks.

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #4,817 of 5,211
Interesting how different folks' ears work or couple with these headphones. Over balanced cables, I did notice and measure that the HE1000se will for the same amp volume setting play around 1 dB louder than the Arya Stealth, which may influence A/B results as "louder" may or may not sound "bigger" or "clearer" if not "more detailed", though maybe not to the seemingly exaggerated levels some people find. It is also good to ensure that the pads were actually resting on your head at the same height; for my Arya Stealth and HE1000se, if for the latter I prefer to have four holes exposed below the strap clip, I found that the former needs to have only three holes exposed though I before getting the HE1000se had preferred wearing it with four holes exposed.

I lately A/Bed https://app.idagio.com/recordings/12229508?trackId=12229519&utm_source=pcl (Takashi Yoshimatsu Symphony No. 5 op. 87, the first movement, recorded by Sachio Fujioka, BBC Philharmonic / July 2002, Manchester, Studio 7, New Broadcasting House, Manchester) which at least when listening loudly presents quite the massive sound front. I at first felt that I was noticing some subtle differences in presentation that had me actually preferring the Arya Stealth as sounding maybe a bit "clearer" or "fuller" there, even when disabling my -1 dB digital preamp that I used to volume-match the HE1000se to the Arya Stealth (my DAC/amp adjusts volume in around 2 dB increments). Perceived width was relatively similar, whereby with some headphone seatings, it could seem almost as though the HE1000se's "soundstage" was "taller". Placing a +2 dB peaking filter with a Q factor of 2 at 2 kHz helped bring the HE1000se's upper midrange closer to the Arya Stealth's level, slightly closing the gap in perceived sound. There could have also been subjective effects from the differing feel of fresh versus three-months-worn pair of pads, the latter feeling more "inviting". Otherwise, I personally found that the differences in expansiveness, texture, and presentation diminished the more I went back and forth while applying this volume and EQ match.

Effectively, with measurably similar frequency responses (magnitude and phase) after matching the upper midrange with EQ and ensuring similar playback volume, I personally experienced very similar and already very good sounds.

Dec 20, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #4,818 of 5,211
I had the Arya V2 for 2+ years and bought the HEKSE last summer. Ended up selling the Arya V2 last month. HEKSE has more sparkle and has somewhat of a silkier sound on top with more detail and better imaging. I generaly found its sound less clinical...contrary to what many reviewers say. This through my Schiit Mjolnir 3. Maybe its just the pairing!

Dec 21, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #4,819 of 5,211
Interesting how different folks' ears work or couple with these headphones. Over balanced cables, I did notice and measure that the HE1000se will for the same amp volume setting play around 1 dB louder than the Arya Stealth, which may influence A/B results as "louder" may or may not sound "bigger" or "clearer" if not "more detailed", though maybe not to the seemingly exaggerated levels some people find. It is also good to ensure that the pads were actually resting on your head at the same height; for my Arya Stealth and HE1000se, if for the latter I prefer to have four holes exposed below the strap clip, I found that the former needs to have only three holes exposed though I before getting the HE1000se had preferred wearing it with four holes exposed.

I lately A/Bed https://app.idagio.com/recordings/12229508?trackId=12229519&utm_source=pcl (Takashi Yoshimatsu Symphony No. 5 op. 87, the first movement, recorded by Sachio Fujioka, BBC Philharmonic / July 2002, Manchester, Studio 7, New Broadcasting House, Manchester) which at least when listening loudly presents quite the massive sound front. I at first felt that I was noticing some subtle differences in presentation that had me actually preferring the Arya Stealth as sounding maybe a bit "clearer" or "fuller" there, even when disabling my -1 dB digital preamp that I used to volume-match the HE1000se to the Arya Stealth (my DAC/amp adjusts volume in around 2 dB increments). Perceived width was relatively similar, whereby with some headphone seatings, it could seem almost as though the HE1000se's "soundstage" was "taller". Placing a +2 dB peaking filter with a Q factor of 2 at 2 kHz helped bring the HE1000se's upper midrange closer to the Arya Stealth's level, slightly closing the gap in perceived sound. There could have also been subjective effects from the differing feel of fresh versus three-months-worn pair of pads, the latter feeling more "inviting". Otherwise, I personally found that the differences in expansiveness, texture, and presentation diminished the more I went back and forth while applying this volume and EQ match.

Effectively, with measurably similar frequency responses (magnitude and phase) after matching the upper midrange with EQ and ensuring similar playback volume, I personally experienced very similar and already very good sounds.
Yeah my impression is different. Arya sounds congested and inside of head compared to Hekse to me but also more focused and sharper. Hekse's staging and separation unrivaled. It's easier to pick up imaging on Hekse. Imaging locations have better contrast to them. More space to work with. They are different headphones with different character to me. Arya Stealth is energetic/fun type of headphone. Hekse is detailed and spacious type of headphone. Hekse is more effortless and lightfeet. Arya Stealth more physical, intense and intimate.

Would like to hear other Hifiman offerings some day. Very curious about HEK Stealth, Arya Organic, HE6sev2. Can't be curious about Susvara because of it's price lol.

Dec 21, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #4,820 of 5,211
Yeah my impression is different. Arya sounds congested and inside of head compared to Hekse to me but also more focused and sharper. Hekse's staging and separation unrivaled. It's easier to pick up imaging on Hekse. Imaging locations have better contrast to them. More space to work with. They are different headphones with different character to me. Arya Stealth is energetic/fun type of headphone. Hekse is detailed and spacious type of headphone. Hekse is more effortless and lightfeet. Arya Stealth more physical, intense and intimate.

Would like to hear other Hifiman offerings some day. Very curious about HEK Stealth, Arya Organic, HE6sev2. Can't be curious about Susvara because of it's price lol.
I've yet to hear the HE1000 V2, HE1000 Stealth, and Susvaras. Might try to go to Can Jam and see if I can try some of them out, though the noise and limited time will probably make it hard to truly get a good sense of their capabilities. Bad news for my wallet but of the ones I have heard, I find that my order of preference just happens to match the order of their prices.

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #4,821 of 5,211
Hey everyone, it’s been some time since I was attempting to order HE1000se from HiFiMan’s website, but I decided to hold off until there’s a restock in the warehouse in Poland. It’s been 4+ months and they’re still out of stock and I was told they don’t plan to ship brand new HEKse to Poland anymore, only refurbished. So after many emails I’m deciding to order them from China which would cost an extra $550 in taxes. I was told they could devalue the price to $100 for the shipping company and customs but since I have no personal experience with this I’m not sure if it’s safe. Has anyone from EU ordered HEKse this way?

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #4,822 of 5,211
Take the refurbished - it looks like new
excellent condition
i took the Stealth from poland

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #4,824 of 5,211
Hey everyone, it’s been some time since I was attempting to order HE1000se from HiFiMan’s website, but I decided to hold off until there’s a restock in the warehouse in Poland. It’s been 4+ months and they’re still out of stock and I was told they don’t plan to ship brand new HEKse to Poland anymore, only refurbished. So after many emails I’m deciding to order them from China which would cost an extra $550 in taxes. I was told they could devalue the price to $100 for the shipping company and customs but since I have no personal experience with this I’m not sure if it’s safe. Has anyone from EU ordered HEKse this way?
Buying refurbished from Hifiman is a decent choice.
The driver are refurbished but the earpads are brand new.
Plus there is a 3 year warranty.
The refurbished 1000se I got a few months ago came with black headphone cables.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #4,825 of 5,211
Buying refurbished from Hifiman is a decent choice.
The driver are refurbished but the earpads are brand new.
Plus there is a 3 year warranty.
The refurbished 1000se I got a few months ago came with black headphone cables.
did the refurbished come in the pleather box? or the brown cardboard?

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #4,826 of 5,211
Jan 7, 2024 at 3:59 AM Post #4,828 of 5,211
If they give you the invoice for $100 I don't see any reason to worry about.

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #4,829 of 5,211
Can someone recommend a cable with same sound signature like the stock one, short with jack 3.5. I am looking for a softer, not so expensive..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back