Hifiman HE1000-SE
Aug 31, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #4,381 of 5,215
My HEKSEs have landed and.......wow.

My journey through headfi truly started with my first "serious" headphone being the Audeze LCD-2 prefazor (just before they went fazor). My youth was things like Grado SR60s and Senn HD598s, so the leap to Audeze was a big one. When I picked those up back in the day, I thought they were incredible. The key thing for me was the rich, warm sound. I enjoyed them for many years and still own them. Fast forward almost a decade to when I got on the Hifiman train with the Arya V2. Again, I was amazed at the difference and increase of enjoyment. This time it was clarity and soundstage that wowed me. A recent family situation compelled me to gift the Arya V2 to my father, so I was left without the headphone experience to which I was accustomed. I pulled out the old LDC-2s but found I could not go back. The warmth of those cans, almost thick, is really all I appreciate about them now. Once you have heard something like the Arya V2, the stage of something like those older LCDs is almost nonexistent. Intimate is one thing, flat is another. It is really amazing how many elements of headphone presentation there really are.

From here I was think about my next acquisition. I was torn between the Arya V2 sound I was currently enjoying but also having fond memories of the warmer sound of the LCDs. I was leaning toward ZMF Atriums, but when the Hifiman summer pricing hit, I could not resist. Pouring over the reviews and musings of members here and elsewhere for all the models in contention was truly grueling. I knew I did not want to go with the Arya Stealth (soundstage size), so the focus was Arya Organic, HEKV2, HEKV2 Stealth and HEKSE. Not wanting to give up the stage I had with the Arya V2 and curious to see how for down the rabbit hole goes, I decided to go for the throat and pick up the HEKSE.

Well, I have only had a short time with them, but yet again I am amazed at the next level these things are on. I queued up an older 70's recording with which I am very familiar that has a 2015 Japanese remaster. I was shocked at what I am hearing in this track. The first thing I noticed was the separation and space in the recording. I have been listening to this recording for decades and the original release was pretty pedestrian. When I came across the remastered version, it was like hearing it as it was intended to be heard. But now with the HEKSEs, I have found a new level in this song. What I hear now is the emptiness in the song, the space between the instruments, the "not the song" that always existed but I did not know was there. It is as if the density of the song has changed. Its the same recording with all the same parts, but now it feels different. Amazing.

Aug 31, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #4,382 of 5,215

My journey through headfi truly started with my first "serious" headphone being the Audeze LCD-2 prefazor (just before they went fazor). My youth was things like Grado SR60s and Senn HD598s, so the leap to Audeze was a big one. When I picked those up back in the day, I thought they were incredible. The key thing for me was the rich, warm sound. I enjoyed them for many years and still own them. Fast forward almost a decade to when I got on the Hifiman train with the Arya V2. Again, I was amazed at the difference and increase of enjoyment. This time it was clarity and soundstage that wowed me. A recent family situation compelled me to gift the Arya V2 to my father, so I was left without the headphone experience to which I was accustomed. I pulled out the old LDC-2s but found I could not go back. The warmth of those cans, almost thick, is really all I appreciate about them now. Once you have heard something like the Arya V2, the stage of something like those older LCDs is almost nonexistent. Intimate is one thing, flat is another. It is really amazing how many elements of headphone presentation there really are.

From here I was think about my next acquisition. I was torn between the Arya V2 sound I was currently enjoying but also having fond memories of the warmer sound of the LCDs. I was leaning toward ZMF Atriums, but when the Hifiman summer pricing hit, I could not resist. Pouring over the reviews and musings of members here and elsewhere for all the models in contention was truly grueling. I knew I did not want to go with the Arya Stealth (soundstage size), so the focus was Arya Organic, HEKV2, HEKV2 Stealth and HEKSE. Not wanting to give up the stage I had with the Arya V2 and curious to see how for down the rabbit hole goes, I decided to go for the throat and pick up the HEKSE.

Well, I have only had a short time with them, but yet again I am amazed at the next level these things are on. I queued up an older 70's recording with which I am very familiar that has a 2015 Japanese remaster. I was shocked at what I am hearing in this track. The first thing I noticed was the separation and space in the recording. I have been listening to this recording for decades and the original release was pretty pedestrian. When I came across the remastered version, it was like hearing it as it was intended to be heard. But now with the HEKSEs, I have found a new level in this song. What I hear now is the emptiness in the song, the space between the instruments, the "not the song" that always existed but I did not know was there. It is as if the density of the song has changed. Its the same recording with all the same parts, but now it feels different. Amazing.
Congratulations.
Ears open WIDE again, heh?

Aug 31, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #4,383 of 5,215
What I hear now is the emptiness in the song, the space between the instruments, the "not the song"
Very well said. I upgraded to HEKSE recently and this is the star of the show. It's kinda incredible.

Staging, separation and creating that emptiness in the music... the depth, texture and detail. Everything is articulate. These headphones crazy. Arya Stealth sounds narrow, flat and congested in comparison. HEKSE have like 1 more dimension to it's presentation + detail and dynamic expression in that dimension. Having all that texture and spaciousness also makes this headphone somewhat lush and pleasing. Arya Stealth feels blunt and ''binary'' if that makes sense.

Sep 1, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #4,384 of 5,215

Congratulations! I've had mine now for about 3 weeks and these headphones are incredible, especially at $1999. I let mine break-in for the first two weeks and didn't listen to them but a few times (I was sick). I've started to really listen to them for the past few days and I'm blown away. They sound even better!

I'm not sure if you're into cable rolling but I have a couple from Arctic Cables and both are a great improvement over the stock cables in sound. Especially the Grandis - Flagship Series I'm currently running with them. They're pricey but it's a huge jump over the stock cables. Even my older Aegis - Elite Series are a noticeable improvement. I'm also using a Violectric v550/Bitfrost 2 combo and it's an excellent pairing if anyone was curious. I'm coming from the Arya v3, Meze 109 Pro, Hifiman XS, Audeze LCD2c and it blows them all away, just no comparison.

Anyway enjoy the music!

Attachments

• IMG_2437.jpg
    IMG_2437.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #4,385 of 5,215
I'm also using a Violectric v550/Bitfrost 2 combo and it's an excellent pairing if anyone was curious.
Very cool - I am running mine off my Violectric V340, little brother to your V550. I have been having a little FOMO with the V340 as it only accepts single ended inputs (rca). I have been wanting to get into a R2R DAC, but it sounds like most of them sound significantly better via their XLR/balanced outputs compared to rca. However, it has been reported that the Bifrost 2 sounds almost as good via its rca output compared with xlr. Do you have the OG BF 2 or the 2/64? I can see how the OG would go well with the HEKSE as it was said to be on the warmer side.

Have done some more listening, and if these get better with break-in, then I am in for a treat as I think they sound great now! Another observation I wasn't prepared for was my own expectations of recordings I know well and how they would sound on the HEKSE. These things are so resolving, but the first thing to jump out at me was how they separate the mix. Now, I am starting to hear into the vocals in a way I have not heard before. Last night I was on a tear, skipping all over the place in my catalog of favorites, and what I was finding was that songs I thought would truly be incredible were actually a little underwhelming, but only because my expectations were so high. If a song sounded great on the Arya V2, I thought it would sound incredible on the HEKSE. Some of these songs sounded maybe better, but mostly the same. However, to my great pleasure, there are songs that are personal favorites that I thought were just not great recordings, that the HEKSE has giving new life to for me. I have even thought at first that they were not the original recordings and had to double check. Older recordings from the 90s and early 2000s, vocals in particular that have depth and nuance that I couldn't hear before. I guess that the takeaway for me is that a great recodring will sound great on most headphones, but truly great headphones can pull things out of recordings that just don't show up up on most headphones.

Sep 3, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #4,386 of 5,215
Very cool - I am running mine off my Violectric V340, little brother to your V550. I have been having a little FOMO with the V340 as it only accepts single ended inputs (rca). I have been wanting to get into a R2R DAC, but it sounds like most of them sound significantly better via their XLR/balanced outputs compared to rca. However, it has been reported that the Bifrost 2 sounds almost as good via its rca output compared with xlr. Do you have the OG BF 2 or the 2/64? I can see how the OG would go well with the HEKSE as it was said to be on the warmer side.

Have done some more listening, and if these get better with break-in, then I am in for a treat as I think they sound great now! Another observation I wasn't prepared for was my own expectations of recordings I know well and how they would sound on the HEKSE. These things are so resolving, but the first thing to jump out at me was how they separate the mix. Now, I am starting to hear into the vocals in a way I have not heard before. Last night I was on a tear, skipping all over the place in my catalog of favorites, and what I was finding was that songs I thought would truly be incredible were actually a little underwhelming, but only because my expectations were so high. If a song sounded great on the Arya V2, I thought it would sound incredible on the HEKSE. Some of these songs sounded maybe better, but mostly the same. However, to my great pleasure, there are songs that are personal favorites that I thought were just not great recordings, that the HEKSE has giving new life to for me. I have even thought at first that they were not the original recordings and had to double check. Older recordings from the 90s and early 2000s, vocals in particular that have depth and nuance that I couldn't hear before. I guess that the takeaway for me is that a great recodring will sound great on most headphones, but truly great headphones can pull things out of recordings that just don't show up up on most headphones.
I'm using the OG BF2 and yes they are warmer then the 2/64 and a wonderful pairing with the v550. I believe R2R DACs in general are the way to go with Hifiman. I found that the 1000HE definitely got better after break-in, but I believe that to be true with all headphones. I'm again just blown away with the 1000HEs. I find them extremely holographic with an extremely wide/tall soundstage and really good depth too. Way better the XS and Arya imo. Another thing I've noticed on how versatile they are. Even though the soundstage is absolutely huge I find that they can get very close and personal... intimate if you will when the track calls for it.

I truly feel that the 1000SE are the very first audiophile headphones I have the pleasure of owning.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #4,387 of 5,215
I'm using the OG BF2 and yes they are warmer then the 2/64 and a wonderful pairing with the v550. I believe R2R DACs in general are the way to go with Hifiman. I found that the 1000HE definitely got better after break-in, but I believe that to be true with all headphones. I'm again just blown away with the 1000HEs. I find them extremely holographic with an extremely wide/tall soundstage and really good depth too. Way better the XS and Arya imo. Another thing I've noticed on how versatile they are. Even though the soundstage is absolutely huge I find that they can get very close and personal... intimate if you will when the track calls for it.

I truly feel that the 1000SE are the very first audiophile headphones I have the pleasure of owning.
they become even more with the 2/64.

Sep 4, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #4,388 of 5,215
I have been looking for some warmth in the HEKSE and the Cayin HA-3A just didn't give me enough with the headphone. It was too sterile for my taste even with warm sounding tubes. I just plugged in my Schiit Lyr 3 as I haven't used it in a long time and I have now found the warmth that I have been looking for in this headphone. The presentation is not as spaced out as the Cayin HA-3A and its more narrow but I am really enjoying the warmth in the midrange and its a more creamy presentation rather than thin.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #4,389 of 5,215
I have been looking for some warmth in the HEKSE and the Cayin HA-3A just didn't give me enough with the headphone. It was too sterile for my taste even with warm sounding tubes. I just plugged in my Schiit Lyr 3 as I haven't used it in a long time and I have now found the warmth that I have been looking for in this headphone. The presentation is not as spaced out as the Cayin HA-3A and its more narrow but I am really enjoying the warmth in the midrange and its a more creamy presentation rather than thin.
Stock tube?

Sep 4, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #4,390 of 5,215
Sep 8, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #4,392 of 5,215
Hi everyone,

I’m looking to upgrade from my current HP being the DT 1990 Pro. My issue with these is very harsh treble at higher volumes which for me is almost painful to listen to at times. I want something that is a bit more balanced for everyday listening and gaming on PS5. I’m choosing between the HD800s, Arya Organic and HE1000SE and my current amp is Schiit Hel 2E. I’m looking for natural sound, wide soundstage and great imaging for less than $3K. So far I’m leaning towards HE1000SE after reading multiple reviews, but also read some very negative comments regarding Hifiman’s QC so if anyone has had a pair for some time I’d like to hear your opinions since I’m based in Europe and wouldn’t want to deal with possible defects.

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #4,393 of 5,215
Hi everyone,

I’m looking to upgrade from my current HP being the DT 1990 Pro. My issue with these is very harsh treble at higher volumes which for me is almost painful to listen to at times. I want something that is a bit more balanced for everyday listening and gaming on PS5. I’m choosing between the HD800s, Arya Organic and HE1000SE and my current amp is Schiit Hel 2E. I’m looking for natural sound, wide soundstage and great imaging for less than $3K. So far I’m leaning towards HE1000SE after reading multiple reviews, but also read some very negative comments regarding Hifiman’s QC so if anyone has had a pair for some time I’d like to hear your opinions since I’m based in Europe and wouldn’t want to deal with possible defects.
Hi, HFM has warehouse in Poland so no problem at all. HFM support was always very helpful and we agreed on quick and good solution.

Sep 8, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #4,394 of 5,215
Hi everyone,

Hifiman customer support is great. I'm sure they will help you out if something goes wrong. They have warehouse in Poland.

I had DT 1990 and Arya Stealth before and i have HE1000SE right now. HE1000SE is still a bright headphone but not as much as DT 1990. I'd say they are a bit brighter than Arya Stealth. I have no experience with HD800S or Arya Organic.

HE1000SE have more spacious sound with better imaging and separation. It's a spatially impressive headphone which is great for gaming. It's bright though. Taxing without EQ. May not suit in that every day easy listen role.

Arya Stealth is a bit more similar to DT 1990. They are a bit more aggressive and energetic with a closer, in your face sound. Instead of space, you get more focused sound out of them. They seek your attention more. You can multitask better with HE1000SE.

Sep 8, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #4,395 of 5,215
I currently have both the HD800S and HE1000se, and for me, it’s a tough call. Both are thin, bright headphones, but otherwise I find them VERY different. For natural sound, I would have to give that to the HD800s - they are strong where music is, from mid bass to mid treble. The HE1000se has more extension on either end, especially sub-bass (they have really nice sub-bass!), but the tonality is more U shaped. Mids are not as present, and I would say not as detailed/textured on HE1000se.

HE1000se really excels at imaging, giving each instrument it’s own space in my head. But somehow I can’t get as much of a sense of an actual space. Especially with classical, Hd800s are the best at creating an illusion of a concert hall.

The big caveat is that I’m listening on a 300b amp, which REALLY benefits the Sennheisers. I personally wasn’t a fan until I heard them on tubes, and a 300b amp launches them into TOTL territory for my ears. I never heard the Hifimans on solid state, so maybe they’re better there.

Build quality on the Hifiman is not as bad as the internet lead me to believe. They’re about even on that front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back