Hifiman HE1000-SE
Nov 7, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #3,571 of 5,391
Both have less slam using DX300MAX Ti DAP than my desktop type of tube amp.
Oh I see. Yes I have the same experience with my own iFi xDSD Gryphon portable vs my desktop amp. Power makes a remarkable difference.

Nov 7, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #3,572 of 5,391
edit:
has anyone tried the oratory1990 eq presets? curious if you had a preference between the harman target presets and the 'optimum hifi' preset. the harman one is a tad bass heavy but thats subjective.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #3,573 of 5,391
edit:
has anyone tried the oratory1990 eq presets? curious if you had a preference between the harman target presets and the 'optimum hifi' preset. the harman one is a tad bass heavy but thats subjective.
I have, for the Susvaras, HEKV2s and HEKses. I think the gain suggestions and attenuations of the highs make them sound like they’ve had a blanket thrown over them. Didn’t like it. I tried removing some of the upper register peaks and still felt like the PEQ robbed all of them of their excitement. I’m still working on some of my own tweaks to the 5,000–8,000 range on the se to see if I can tame a bit of their fatigue.

Nov 7, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #3,574 of 5,391
So I started an order from audio46 for a Meze Elite and didn’t finish it. Got a text from them today offering a discount. Anyone have any experience with this shop, if you’ll forgive the off topic just this once?

Nov 7, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #3,575 of 5,391
I don't know, but you might find the Elite too much in the Susvara camp-- I'm not saying equivalent in technical ability, but similar in being a polite kind of presentation. Might not get your engine running. Have you thought about going in a different direction, like say the Abyss 1266?

Nov 7, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #3,577 of 5,391
So I started an order from audio46 for a Meze Elite and didn’t finish it. Got a text from them today offering a discount. Anyone have any experience with this shop, if you’ll forgive the off topic just this once?
Yeah they're in nyc pretty close to Grand Central terminal. Totally reputable. The owner was v nice when I was hunting for an ie 600 and texted me promptly when they were in stock again. I would definitely shop from them if that's what you're asking.

Nov 7, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #3,578 of 5,391
I don't know, but you might find the Elite too much in the Susvara camp-- I'm not saying equivalent in technical ability, but similar in being a polite kind of presentation. Might not get your engine running. Have you thought about going in a different direction, like say the Abyss 1266?
Thanks, your post about the Elites is what got me intrigued, although right now I’m still about liking the direction of the HEKs :) I’m all about bass slam and low fatiguability right now and the only reason I’m not fully committed to either the V2s or the SEs is how hot they are.

Have been piddling with the gain settings on my amp and the voltage settings on my DAC, but maybe you know how obsessive this can be, questioning your ears, bouncing back and forth trying not to forget how the first one sounded vs the second, trying to match gains, listening to multiple tracks and liking some but not others. They both sound phenomenal but I’m trying to remind myself that any headphone takes some getting adjusted to.

If the guy at audio46 offers me a good deal and I can be assured that they have a fair return policy, I might check the Elites out too for comparison purposes, but beyond that I’m determined to set a limit and make a final decision so I can get all this stuff off of my credit card. I’ve been super grateful for everyone’s helpful feedback on here and I’m already majorly excited about the new sound compared to my Utopias!

Nov 7, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #3,579 of 5,391
My unit arrived Saturday and has a 'chip' in the wood. Anyone else have similar markings? Hifiman cs claims its natural.

Curious if this is normal / worth pursuing an exchange over. Doesn't impact my enjoyment whatsoever but thinking about resale value down the road.

Attachments

• 20221107_082256.jpg
    20221107_082256.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #3,580 of 5,391
My unit arrived Saturday and has a 'chip' in the wood veneer. I emailed hifiman and was told it was "the grain of natural wood, which is totally normal for our HE1000se". Anyone else have similar markings?

Curious if this is normal / worth pursuing an exchange over. Doesn't impact my enjoyment whatsoever but thinking about resale value down the road.
I hate that, but knowing HFM you might get the same exact thing with another set. If you like the sound and plan to keep them, I would just order a set of those furniture touch up pens, find the closest match and put the stain on a cotton swab first, not directly on the trim. Then use the swab to lightly fill in the little scratch. Given that it’s a veneer, you may have to do this in the future anyway…

Nov 7, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #3,581 of 5,391
No the LCD-4 is a heavy headphone, but the sound is so lush and rich and the bass so full and strong that it is worth a try IMO.

Had the LCD4 and He1000se for a year and whilst I love both for their differences, I prefer the HiFiMan. Eventually they both go to be replaced by Susvara.

Enjoy what you love but for me it's definitely Susvara especially when my amps are more than capable of driving it well. That said there was a time when I feel I need upgrade no more when I had LCD4 and He1000se. They are good enough.

Nov 7, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #3,582 of 5,391
Just sold my Z1Rs for $1,399 on eBay, so I’m feeling less guilt about the new HiFiMans. After all the questions about how these HEKV2s and SEs compare to the Arya Stealths, I just ordered a pair to try out as well. :) I’ll get back with my comparative thoughts when they arrive.

The guy at audio46 is giving me the hard sell for the Meze Elites. Has texted me several times today, while I was seeing patients. We’ll see what kind of a deal he offers…

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #3,583 of 5,391
Just sold my Z1Rs for $1,399 on eBay, so I’m feeling less guilt about the new HiFiMans. After all the questions about how these HEKV2s and SEs compare to the Arya Stealths, I just ordered a pair to try out as well. :) I’ll get back with my comparative thoughts when they arrive.

The guy at audio46 is giving me the hard sell for the Meze Elites. Has texted me several times today, while I was seeing patients. We’ll see what kind of a deal he offers…
I owned Ananda and XS before. What i like about Arya SE is that it sounds very vivid, dynamic and full. Ananda was ''dead'' in comparison. There was no rhythm to it. XS i think overall great but lack the technicalities. I'm curious about your opinion on Arya SE vs HEKv2. My impression from some HEKv2 reviews is that it's more like Ananda. Light and ethereal sound. Not physical and as dramatic as Arya SE.

Nov 9, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #3,584 of 5,391
I owned Ananda and XS before. What i like about Arya SE is that it sounds very vivid, dynamic and full. Ananda was ''dead'' in comparison. There was no rhythm to it. XS i think overall great but lack the technicalities. I'm curious about your opinion on Arya SE vs HEKv2. My impression from some HEKv2 reviews is that it's more like Ananda. Light and ethereal sound. Not physical and as dramatic as Arya SE.
The Arya SE is arriving today. Insanely, I have the Susvara, HEKse, HEKV2, Arya Stealth and Edition XS all here at once to do a full comparative audition of all of them, and I’ll commit to doing a thorough job at it.

I’ve ruled out the Ananda as being too close to the XS to bother, and also based on RTINGs.com’s measurements—the XS is objectively a better performer based on multiple endpoints, but primarily in bass response for me (the bass roll off on the Ananda is absurd for a consumer-grade headphone, in my book). Plus the XS has the stealth magnet, and despite the Ananda having more emphasis on build quality, I can’t fathom it could sound better than the XS, which rocks.

I already own the XS so that’ll stay with me, and I plan to keep one of these four flagships and send the others back (forgive me Amazon). I’ll try to be as detailed as possible in my assessment, with the caveat that I’m a rock kinda guy, and only listen to classical live. I’ve already ruled out the Susvara for being too close to my Utopias as an analytical, neutrally-tuned headphone that lacks the fun factor I’m seeking at the moment. Wish me luck!

PS Regarding your comment about the HEKV2, I can already tell you that there’s nothing ethereal about it—it’s a monstrous beast in the sub bass, a hugely energetic headphone and it’s as precise as hell. Maybe some folks thought of the word “ethereal” because its soundstage is endless, but there’s nothing airy or light about it. It’s an absolutely incredible headphone all around.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #3,585 of 5,391
The Arya SE is arriving today. Insanely, I have the Susvara, HEKse, HEKV2, Arya Stealth and Edition XS all here at once to do a full comparative audition of all of them, and I’ll commit to doing a thorough job at it.

I’ve ruled out the Ananda as being too close to the XS to bother, and also based on RTINGs.com’s measurements—the XS is objectively a better performer based on multiple endpoints, but primarily in bass response for me (the bass roll off on the Ananda is absurd for a consumer-grade headphone, in my book). Plus the XS has the stealth magnet, and despite the Ananda having more emphasis on build quality, I can’t fathom it could sound better than the XS, which rocks.

I already own the XS so that’ll stay with me, and I plan to keep one of these four flagships and send the others back (forgive me Amazon). I’ll try to be as detailed as possible in my assessment, with the caveat that I’m a rock kinda guy, and only listen to classical live. I’ve already ruled out the Susvara for being too close to my Utopias as an analytical, neutrally-tuned headphone that lacks the fun factor I’m seeking at the moment. Wish me luck!

PS Regarding your comment about the HEKV2, I can already tell you that there’s nothing ethereal about it—it’s a monstrous beast in the sub bass, a hugely energetic headphone and it’s as precise as hell. Maybe some folks thought of the word “ethereal” because its soundstage is endless, but there’s nothing airy or light about it. It’s an absolutely incredible headphone all around.
I think Ananda is quite unique and technically very good except weak dynamics but i prefer XS too. Honestly the rock music sound so bad on Ananda. Rock music sounds like calming classical music. To be fair, Ananda sound more interesting when it clicks with the music. Better than XS when it finds it's soulmate. XS just better overall all rounder, Ananda have higher ''skill ceiling'' if that makes sense. XS have lower ''skill floor'' :)
I'm very curious about HEKv2. Interested in your take when you hear them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back