Hifiman HE1000-SE
Nov 6, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #3,542 of 5,391
I’ve heard the first two Arya incarnations and I’ve been auditioning the HE1000v2s for over two weeks, along with the HE1000ses. Obviously the build quality and design of the HEKV2s is considerably more premium. If you have the Stealths for the reason I would expect you to (for an energetic bass response and the physicality to make modern genres exciting to listen to), I cannot fathom how the HEKV2’s could be improved upon in those aspects.

The HEKv2s are in Crinacle’s top four (one of the few to get an “S” designation) for a reason—they’re phenomenal headphones for any purpose. Their timbre and tuning are perfect, their instrument separation is glorious (every snare comes off with a powerful crack and shoots off into space), their soundstage is as wide and tall as any other headphone I’ve heard, and their low end is unbelievably exciting.

The Arya’s signature is typically described as laid back, darker and smooth; the V2s are lightning fast, dramatic and powerful (at least to my ears). And from everything I’ve heard about the Arya Stealths the HEKV2s are no harder to drive.

I’ve pretty much figured out at this point that the only way to truly resolve these decisions is to listen to them myself, and to A/B them directly if at all possible. Given Amazon’s liberal return policy and my own excellent experience with HiFiMan’s storefront recently, I don’t think you have much to lose by auditioning them for a bit until your curiosity is quenched. I think everyone’s ears are too unique to satisfactorily answer questions of taste between two cans that share so many common qualities.

If you do decide to try out the V2’s, I’d love to hear your thoughts—because I’m still struggling myself between keeping them over the HEKse’s! :)

Amazing post, thank you. I am not sure I understood the difference between the 1KSE and 1KV2, but have just had a look at their web site. So 1KSE is basically the Stealth version like my Arya Stealth and 1KV2 is the older version without stealth magnets?

Is 1KSE a better performer? Is it worth the price premium over 1KV2? $1500 is a huge difference.

Thanks.

Nov 6, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #3,543 of 5,391
Amazing post, thank you. I am not sure I understood the difference between the 1KSE and 1KV2, but have just had a look at their web site. So 1KSE is basically the Stealth version like my Arya Stealth and 1KV2 is the older version without stealth magnets?

Is 1KSE a better performer? Is it worth the price premium over 1KV2? $1500 is a huge difference.

Thanks.
The HEKse is a bit more than than stealth magnets. It's a new driver with higher sensitivity making it easy to driver. There is also tonal and technical differences between the two headphones. Both are worth an audition as it will come down to preference. It's also worth having both headphones in your setup they are almost that different sounding :smile_phones:

Nov 6, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #3,544 of 5,391

Thanks.
Thank you! I think the HEKV2 is stunning, and no I don’t think the SE is worth $1,500 more at all. Because I think they’re equally fine headphones with different purposes. The SE is perhaps a little more detailed with more mid bass and a bit higher sensitivity, while the HEKV2 has more sub bass and energy with a wider soundstage. For rock music and similar, I think the V2 is the best there is. If I had never heard the SE I wouldn’t be torn for a second.

I have both the V2 and the SE with me right now (and the Susvara, which is definitely going back) from Amazon and I’m going to make a final decision after a little more listening. I encourage you to try the same! There’s no way to describe the difference without your own ears. But I wouldn’t get caught up with the fact that the SE is “newer”—the Susvara preceded them both.

It should be noted that HFM has been criticized to an extent for flooding the landscape with a surfeit of options that only have subtle differences, but I just see it as offering a range of options to suit the diversity of ears out there. You literally cannot go wrong with any of their newer oval pad options, and I don’t think the price differences between the Arya Stealth, HEKV2 and HEKse are valid indicators of quality at all. I own the Edition XS and think it does some things better than any of their flagships. Good luck!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #3,545 of 5,391
Thank you! I think the HEKV2 is stunning, and no I don’t think the SE is worth $1,500 more at all. Because I think they’re equally fine headphones with different purposes. The SE is perhaps a little more detailed with more mid bass and a bit higher sensitivity, while the HEKV2 has more sub bass and energy with a wider soundstage. For rock music and similar, I think the V2 is the best there is. If I had never heard the SE I wouldn’t be torn for a second.

I have both the V2 and the SE with me (and the Susvara, which is definitely going back) right now from Amazon and I’m going to make a final decision after a little more listening. I encourage you to try the same! There’s no way to describe the difference without your own ears. But I wouldn’t get caught up with the fact that the SE is “newer”—the Susvara preceded them both. Good luck!
Such a tough decision. There is something about the V2's tone that makes me want to add them back to my collection. With that said, I don't miss the Susvara's at all.

Nov 6, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #3,546 of 5,391
Such a tough decision. There is something about the V2's tone that makes me want to add them back to my collection. With that said, I don't miss the Susvara's at all.
I’m so glad to have gotten the Susvara mystery out of my system—I’d been obsessing for eons whether I made the wrong choice with my Utopias. Turns out they offer very similar critical listening experiences—with their respective strengths and weaknesses of course—but still in the same use category with typical flagship, neutral reference tuning. I found out I was looking for a different experience altogether.

The differences between the SE and V2 are much more difficult to nail down, and I agree with you that having both would not be redundant. I want to say that the SE is the perfect all-rounder that can do everything well—detail, imaging, soundstage, bass slam, suitability for all genres and amps. But the V2s really do seem to have a wider soundstage, are better tuned right out of the box, and have demonstrably better and less fatiguing high-mids.

Listening to “Someone Saved My Life Tonight”, Nigel Olsson hits these snare cracks before the coda that smack your chest and reverberate forever, and on the SEs they don’t hit as hard and are more crowded in the mix. On the V2s they’re as clear as day and give me goosebumps. But overall the SEs seem to have a warmer, more physical bass, better imaging and audibly greater detail retrieval.

I have no idea how to choose between these two. And once I do I’m afraid that HiFiMan will release a new HEK version that offers the strengths of both of them. I may end up keeping both or sending both back to see what the future brings. But I have decided for sure that HFM is my favorite headphone manufacturer by far!

Nov 6, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #3,547 of 5,391
I’m so glad to have gotten the Susvara mystery out of my system—I’d been obsessing for eons whether I made the wrong choice with my Utopias. Turns out they offer very similar critical listening experiences—with their respective strengths and weaknesses of course—but still in the same use category with typical flagship, neutral reference tuning. I found out I was looking for a different experience altogether.

The differences between the SE and V2 are much more difficult to nail down, and I agree with you that having both would not be redundant. I want to say that the SE is the perfect all-rounder that can do everything well—detail, imaging, soundstage, bass slam, suitability for all genres and amps. But the V2s really do seem to have a wider soundstage, are better tuned right out of the box, and have demonstrably better and less fatiguing high-mids.

Listening to “Someone Saved My Life Tonight”, Nigel Olsson hits these snare cracks before the coda that smack your chest and reverberate forever, and on the SEs they don’t hit as hard and are more crowded in the mix. On the V2s they’re as clear as day and give me goosebumps. But overall the SEs seem to have a warmer, more physical bass, better imaging and audibly greater detail retrieval.

I have no idea how to choose between these two. And once I do I’m afraid that HiFiMan will release a new HEK version that offers the strengths of both of them. I may end up keeping both or sending both back to see what the future brings. But I have decided for sure that HFM is my favorite headphone manufacturer by far!
Yes Hifiman and Audeze are my two favorite headphone manufacturers. I have more Hifiman headphones in my collection than anything else at the moment. I'm really contemplating on adding the HEK V2's back into my collection for the reasons you hearing now. I figure at some point they are going to sell out of the HEK V2's and I will miss out. Even with the HEKse's being better the HEK V2's bring something different to table from a sound standpoint.

Nov 6, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #3,548 of 5,391
Yes Hifiman and Audeze are my two favorite headphone manufacturers. I have more Hifiman headphones in my collection than anything else at the moment. I'm really contemplating on adding the HEK V2's back into my collection for the reasons you hearing now. I figure at some point they are going to sell out of the HEK V2's and I will miss out. Even with the HEKse's being better the HEK V2's bring something different to table from a sound standpoint.
I’ll have to give Audeze another try. To be honest the only one I’ve actually owned is the LCD-X and I really wasn’t impressed with it at all. I auditioned the fives for a few days but for some reason I wasn’t in the right mindset and all I really focused on was their weight and fit, and I wasn’t blown away by their bass response. Which one would you recommend I start with to get the same excitement I’m getting from these HEKs?

PS Have you heard anything about the HE-R10Ps?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #3,550 of 5,391
I’ll have to give Audeze another try. To be honest the only one I’ve actually owned is the LCD-X and I really wasn’t impressed with it at all. I auditioned the fives for a few days but for some reason I wasn’t in the right mindset and all I really focused on was their weight and fit, and I wasn’t blown away by their bass response. Which one would you recommend I start with to get the same excitement I’m getting from these HEKs?

PS Have you heard anything about the HE-R10Ps?
Honestly, all Audeze headphones need a bit of EQ to fully maximize their potential. I would start with the LCD-4z's or LCD-24's. Both of these are on the level of HEKse's as far as detail retrieval, staging, and bass response. The LCD-4's are like the HEK V2's, tonal creamy, superior clarity with incredible sub bass energy. The LCD-X's are good, but the LCD-MX4's are better if you want the same type of sound with improved everything in comparison. Think HE6 level of performance with the MX4's, with EQ of course. For every Hifiman headphone, I can think of an Audeze equivalent. This is why I enjoy both of these companies headphones.

I owned the HE-R10P's for a time period. Oddly enough, they are the headphone I traded my HEkse's for the first time I owned them.They have a bass response like I've never heard or felt. They move an incredible amount of air and have the best technicalities of any closed back headphone to date. Ultimately, the dip in the upper mids/lower treble left a gap in the sound for me that I couldn't unhear. So I sold them as part of the LCD-5 trade.

Nov 6, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #3,551 of 5,391
Probably not a popular opinion here on this thread, but I'm a big Meze fan. I find my Elite and Empyrean make a fine contrast/compliment to my SE and V2. Different flavours for different moods, etc.
I’ve yet to try Meze (other than the 99 Classics, which were awful). I’ve had my eye on the Liric and the Elites for awhile—the unfortunate thing is that they’re not available on Amazon, dammit. I’m too afraid of restocking fees from other storefronts. Someday I’ll inevitably try them, but Amazon has made it easier for me to go down the HFM route first.

My goal is to have a collection of about five cans:

1. One dynamic open back (Utopias for now)
2. One dynamic closed back (right now I have the Sony Z1Rs, but that has to change)
3. One planar open back (my current HFM options at the moment)
4. One planar closed back (maybe the Stealths?), and,
5. One portable. For now that’s the Edition XS, but being open back it’s not great for travel. I do have an AirPods Max, which do surprisingly well.

Meze, Audeze, and DCA remain the top contenders for my future tryouts, when budget allows…

Nov 6, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #3,552 of 5,391
Honestly, all Audeze headphones need a bit of EQ to fully maximize their potential. I would start with the LCD-4z's or LCD-24's. Both of these are on the level of HEKse's as far as detail retrieval, staging, and bass response. The LCD-4's are like the HEK V2's, tonal creamy, superior clarity with incredible sub bass energy. The LCD-X's are good, but the LCD-MX4's are better if you want the same type of sound with improved everything in comparison. Think HE6 level of performance with the MX4's, with EQ of course. For every Hifiman headphone, I can think of an Audeze equivalent. This is why I enjoy both of these companies headphones.

I owned the HE-R10P's for a time period. Oddly enough, they are the headphone I traded my HEkse's for the first time I owned them.They have a bass response like I've never heard or felt. They move an incredible amount of air and have the best technicalities of any closed back headphone to date. Ultimately, the dip in the upper mids/lower treble left a gap in the sound for me that I couldn't unhear. So I sold them as part of the LCD-5 trade.
Thank you, that’s helpful. I don’t hear much about the HE-R10Ps, which I always assumed was about their being a closed back planar, which is anathema for many audiophiles that want an open back soundstage (plus they look awfully clunky and odd). I wonder what PEQ could do for that suckout in the upper mids?

I keep hearing all kinds of compliments about the DCA Stealths, but again they’re another headphone that demands a ton of power, and the Expanse is worse. Sensitivity is a bit of a deal breaker for me, because I don’t think you get the full potential of a flagship headphone unless you have plenty of clean headroom—they sound different to me when they’re running at the bleeding edge of your amp’s output.

And since my setup is on my nightstand and I paid a fortune for it, I’m just not willing to build a fortress just to run a headphone. I have a separate listening room for that kind of wattage, for floor speakers.

Nov 6, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #3,553 of 5,391

Can you tell me a bit more about your susvara experience, especially its comparison against the hekv2? I have the hekv2 right now, and while I have no complains at all, I can't help but keep obsessed with the susvara.

Nov 6, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #3,554 of 5,391
Aren't they the HFM flagship headphones? They didn't suit you?

Nov 6, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #3,555 of 5,391
Can you tell me a bit more about your susvara experience, especially its comparison against the hekv2? I have the hekv2 right now, and while I have no complains at all, I can't help but keep obsessed with the susvara.
I don’t know what your musical tastes are, but mine are rock, new wave, synth pop, dance, alternative and some hip hop. And if yours are anywhere along those lines I’d suggest you let the Susvara obsession go. They just don’t excite me anywhere close to the same league as the HEKV2 or SE.

The Susvaras are straight ahead neutral tuning with massive power requirements, and to me they are one of those jaw-dropping critical listening experiences of incomparable detail and resolution that is a fleeting fascination and that’s that—I’d be bored to death once that novelty is over. The HEK series is worlds more fun and exciting in my view. I have my Utopias for that experience but I haven’t touched them since I picked up these two HEKs.

If you’re interested in something next level from your V2s but like their overall sound, I’d try the HEKse way before the Susvaras. They have the stealth magnet tech from the Susvaras to add a bit more detail and speed, with all the expansiveness and energy you get from the oval drivers of the V2s. As I’ve said before I think the SE is a much better candidate for their flagship line based on their versatility alone, and I’d place the Susvaras into the category of the Shangri-La Sr and Jr for die hard analytical audiophiles only.

You’re gonna end up spending the same price for the V2 and SE combined, and to fully appreciate them you’re going to have to pull in some PEQ to achieve the bass you’re used to, and you’ll likely need to beef up your amp substantially on top of that to run them in the same operating range. I finally gave in to my curiosity about the Susvaras recently and it’s an enormous relief to send them back with no second thoughts whatsoever. For what that’s worth…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back