Hifiman HE1000-SE
Mar 25, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #886 of 5,211
I don't think one can go wrong with either the HEKv2 or the HEKse!

True. Also I believe one can't go wrong with the Arya. For a lot less money.

Mar 25, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #887 of 5,211
True. Also I believe one can't go wrong with the Arya. For a lot less money.

I'm seeing HEKv2 headphones priced as low as $1,800 - $2,000 these days. Do you think an extra $200 to $400 dollars for the HEKv2 is a "better" buy, also considering that the HEKv2 comes with a balanced cable?

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #890 of 5,211
Like with other headphones the SE can sound different depending on how you “put them on you head”, and it’s well worth to experiment a bit to get the best overall position. The HE1000 that has such big ear cups it’s possible to get very different sound depending on position of the drivers to our ears. Only one click down for me on the headband and the sound stage gets smaller, less air etc and one klick up from my preferred position and the bass/low mids decreases too much. The same is true with the back and forth position but with a bit different sonic outcome. I like to have the ear cups so that they almost, but doesn’t, touch the back of my ears. A more forward position result in recessed upper mids IME.

Maybe you don’t get the exact same difference as I do, but am sure that it’s worth the time to get it right for you because the SQ difference is not trivial.

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #891 of 5,211
A61C3A5E-A557-43C8-8DAC-2F918009184D.jpeg
HE1000SE+Mjolnir 2 (Electro Harmonix 6922)
+Gungnir+Einvaldi reference cable=Very good

Mar 25, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #892 of 5,211
Whaaa? More bass than Utopia? That's unlike what I'd expect based on what I heard of the HEKV1, which seemed like subs were lifted because I guess due to being linear and actually hearing subs. And bass resolution was pretty good with it as well.

If we are saying more bass than Utopia, and chimney saying more punchier, it doesn't sound bad at all, could be an improvement because I recall people were saying that HEK seemed a bit laid-back and wanted more forwardness or excitement.

Is it the warm kind of bass or balled up type of tight bass?

As far as the 2k thing, I also see that with every Hifiman graphs, but audibly certain ones are more noticeable over others.
The SE bass is so very tight. The response and decay are very fast. It is deep but not like the LCD-4. The LCD-4 is very deep and seems to fill the room; but, it seems softer. Both the SE and LCD-4 have outstanding bass but they are very different. I love both. I am sure there are those that will substantially prefer one over the other. Now that I have probably walked around in a complete circle, I will shut up.

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #894 of 5,211
The SE bass is so very tight. The response and decay are very fast. It is deep but not like the LCD-4. The LCD-4 is very deep and seems to fill the room; but, it seems softer. Both the SE and LCD-4 have outstanding bass but they are very different. I love both. I am sure there are those that will substantially prefer one over the other. Now that I have probably walked around in a complete circle, I will shut up.

Love the LCD4 bass, to me it's what defines that HP. Great quantity but very articulate too.

Mar 26, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #895 of 5,211
@joseph69 ive heard them a few times. Not that I didn’t like them by any means, I’d gladly own a pair... other than the HE1 I’ve never heard a headphone where the music flows so effortlessly but still maintains musicality and dynamics. But I just don’t like the value proposition when compared to the HEKse which to me sound nearly as good (and more energetic) at a much lower price and much easier to drive. I just don’t feel like I’m missing much with the SE. But it’s been a while since I heard Susvara so I’d love the chance for another good demo.

Fully agree with you. Just let go of my new Susvara (suprised I got a buyer in my own hometown) to soon get the HE1000se. I preferred its sound.

Mar 26, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #896 of 5,211
I see people non-stop complain about the stock cable for the SE, knowing the cable Hifiman is providing for the item before making the purchase, compared to buying another companies product like the Empyrean to move on, and I don't understand that. If my shoes get beat, I replace them; My socks tear, I toss 'em and replace'em; I get told I can't climb Everest, I climb it. Just get an upgrade cable, people. Lol, Idk, i'm just a person that doesn't like to complain too much on a subject knowing I can do something to fix it or just not get the product, especially knowing the company is going to give me a 'low' quality cable. Hifiman deliberately does not plan to release a top of the line cable because they know they don't need to go into that as they are aware companies make them for interested customers.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #897 of 5,211
I see people non-stop complain about the stock cable for the SE, knowing the cable Hifiman is providing for the item before making the purchase, compared to buying another companies product like the Empyrean to move on, and I don't understand that. If my shoes get beat, I replace them; My socks tear, I toss 'em and replace'em; I get told I can't climb Everest, I climb it. Just get an upgrade cable, people. Lol, Idk, i'm just a person that doesn't like to complain too much on a subject knowing I can do something to fix it or just not get the product, especially knowing the company is going to give me a 'low' quality cable. Hifiman deliberately does not plan to release a top of the line cable because they know they don't need to go into that as they are aware companies make them for interested customers.

Well, I definitely proved it's better than the cables that come with the Elex. The SE's cable had more detail and I could hear the difference between amps better with the SE cable than i could the Elex cable. That's probably not saying much, but I would definitely say it's not garbage.

What is the SE cable, Pure Copper or a Silver Hybrid?

Mar 26, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #898 of 5,211
Heard the MX4, do not consider it a true upgrade to the X. It has a little less top end and the mids are a bit more full. The 4 is an upgrade, because of its additional detail, but less neutral, so I am not sure if I would replace the X with a 4. My only hope would be a 4Z which I have not heard. I read that it has a bit more top end and maybe a bit more sub bass. That may be the only Audeze for me that would replace the X.

The LCD2C is not meant to be a critical sounding can, it's just meant to be a warm, pleasant sounding fun headphone, with still a good amount of accuracy. I picked a 2 CB, love it and actually have been listening to it more than the SE lately. It has a ridiculously monstrous yet reasonably tight bass. Again a fun headphone. It also sounds a bit more neutral than the open 2C.

I know, none of this has anything to do with the SE and I wouldn't even compare the two sonically, it would be like comparing apples to avocados.....not even in the same family of sound.
Lol..google 2cb

Mar 26, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #899 of 5,211
Probably, that has something to do with a picking order? I also have both of them at this moment.
I picked up the 2 CB a few days before the HEKse. I quite enjoyed the 2CB before the HEKse arrived, of course with the EQ plug-in. Without the plug-in, it was a non starter to my ears.
After the HEKse arrived, the 2CB lost its place. To my ears, the 2CB sounds too hazy and unfocused even with the plug-in enabled.

So I am looking at a higher end. But I am confused with the LCD-X, LCD3, and LCD-MX. Don' know what to pick.
Yes 2cb can have that effect....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back