Hifiman HE1000-SE
Nov 13, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #3,616 of 5,391
I’m getting these Elites at ridiculously fair prices with an XLR connector so now I’m pretty stoked!

I’m also very interested to check out these dual pad options as well, which I understand pop on and off like a cinch with a magnet—which will be leaps and bounds better than pad rolling on the HFMs. When I tried to remove the pads on the HEKs and Susvaras I was scared I was going to pull apart the whole headphone into a pile of guitar picks. :scream:

Nov 13, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #3,617 of 5,391
I’m getting these Elites at ridiculously fair prices with an XLR connector so now I’m pretty stoked!

I’m also very interested to check out these dual pad options as well, which I understand pop on and off like a cinch with a magnet—which will be leaps and bounds better than pad rolling on the HFMs. When I tried to remove the pads on the HEKs and Susvaras I was scared I was going to pull apart the whole headphone into a pile of guitar picks. :scream:
Yes, ergonomics on Meze’s new offerings are unmatched.

Nov 13, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #3,618 of 5,391
Yes, ergonomics on Meze’s new offerings are unmatched.
So I’ve heard. I’m waiting to see if they can come close to the jaw-dropping detail I hear in this HEKse. I’m finding that I can only listen to them in measured doses though, whereas with the Arya SE I can listen forever without getting a headache. I wish I had a magic ball to peek into what HFM has coming down the pike in the next year…

Nov 14, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #3,619 of 5,391
I’m curious about the HE6, but I think I’ve come to the conclusion that super-low sensitivity headphones are not for me. I’m steering clear of DCA’s Stealth and Expanse for similar reasons, although I haven’t fully abandoned the Stealth, as the only closed back option I currently have on board is a lowly Sony 1AM2–I sold my Z1R’s last week.

At least the Stealth isn’t in the Susvara (or HE6) sensitivity range, although at 87 it ain’t amp-friendly by any means. I auditioned the Stellia when I got my Utopia and wasn’t excited about it at all at the time.

I will say that after using eBay to unload my Z1Rs and sacrificing 15%+ of my sale price, I might opt for Reverb next time—their fee is only 5%.

I’ve also now auditioned six of HFM’s current offerings in one sitting, and I feel like I’ve derived the essence of their sound signatures—plus I’ve already added at least two to my collection. Before I add a third I thought I’d try out the offering from another brand first that seems to fall into my preferred FRC. I figure that if I end up with either the HEKse or the Meze Elite I won’t be in bad shape either way. :sunglasses:

It’s been awhile since HFM refreshed their flagship—their four TOTLs are all over four years old. Given that Focal, Audeze, DCA and Meze have all brought new players to the field in the last year, I can’t shake the suspicion that HFM have something exciting coming down the pipeline in the not-too-distant future. This brings a note of hesitation to all of this, to be honest.

Knowing my luck I’ll settle down with the HEKse and a week after the return window, they’ll release a new Susvara that has an improved Stealth magnet, better sensitivity and a beefier low end. Tell me I’m being cynical—I betcha can’t!

Just for info your amp is fully able to drive HE6se.
Also HE6se has really dynamic and slam that you will not get in any of the egg cups offering from Hifiman.

Nov 14, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #3,620 of 5,391
Just for info your amp is fully able to drive HE6se.
Also HE6se has really dynamic and slam that you will not get in any of the egg cups offering from Hifiman.
Yes, thank you! From what I understand the sensitivity of the HE6se v2 is the same as the Susvara—83. My amp drove the Susvara with the gain at 18+, although without much room to spare. Since I like to use ASP bass enhancement, I occasionally ran into some distortion/clipping on high volumes, but these were probably at volumes that were unsafe to listen to for long.

I’ve heard great things about them. Maybe after this round I’ll give them a try. :)

Nov 14, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #3,621 of 5,391
So I’ve heard. I’m waiting to see if they can come close to the jaw-dropping detail I hear in this HEKse. I’m finding that I can only listen to them in measured doses though, whereas with the Arya SE I can listen forever without getting a headache. I wish I had a magic ball to peek into what HFM has coming down the pike in the next year…
No, the Elites are detailed but they are not as detailed as the HEkse's

Nov 14, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #3,622 of 5,391
Nov 14, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #3,624 of 5,391
Are you enjoying it?

Nov 14, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #3,625 of 5,391
Yes so far, just started listening, but I think the synergy with the A90D may not be perfect in that I may not be getting the max potential these cans can be, cos I feel the Focal Clear sounds a bit better, but its still initial stage, I'll be listening more and I will also be getting a Violectrict amp either V280 or V222 which many said is a very good pairing with the HEK series.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #3,626 of 5,391
I actually got a very good deal on a brand new HekSE as well, but I wanted to start from the V2 as I like a more warmer sound and SE is more detailed in the top end, it may not be sibilant but still can be fatiguing with all the info, if I feel the need I can always upgrade later as Hifiman comes up with good upgrade offers, maybe I can appreciate the SE more after coming from the V2 :wink:

Nov 14, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #3,627 of 5,391
Yes so far, just started listening, but I think the synergy with the A90D may not be perfect in that I may not be getting the max potential these cans can be, cos I feel the Focal Clear sounds a bit better, but its still initial stage, I'll be listening more and I will also be getting a Violectrict amp either V280 or V222 which many said is a very good pairing with the HEK series.
That sounds fun. I’ll look up that amp. I’m still deciding between the V2 and se as well.

I may be imagining this but I think the HEKse may sound a shade less bright and garish using the tube stage of my amp instead of solid state. The amp also comes with a “Tube+” mode that is supposed to emphasize even order harmonics and reduce “negative feedback”, but whatever it’s doing I think it sounds incredibly artificial and soulless.

I went through a tube rolling obsessive phase once I got the Pro iCAN Sig, likely a carryover from my hobby of building hand-wired repros of 50’s Fender Tweed guitar amps. The amp takes 2C51/5670/396A valves, and after running through the NOS supplies I had on hand, I found a matched pair of Bendix 6385s that were high gain and truly never used—found off the shelf of an old hardware store in upstate NY that had just closed after 100 years. I decided that these were my Holy Grails.

I’m not certain how authentic the tube circuit is on this amp—396As are really preamp tubes and when I opened up the chassis (do AYOR) I noticed that they installed a row of red LEDs beneath the sockets to make them fake glow through a circular glass window on the top. But it does seem to provide a bit more mellow sound (at the expense of a little bit of detail).

The quest continues…

Nov 14, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #3,628 of 5,391

Don’t forget that HEK v2 is a bit laidback, don’t expect (whatever your amp) same slam/punch than Focal Clear or HE6se

Nov 14, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #3,629 of 5,391
I actually got a very good deal on a brand new HekSE as well, but I wanted to start from the V2 as I like a more warmer sound and SE is more detailed in the top end, it may not be sibilant but still can be fatiguing with all the info, if I feel the need I can always upgrade later as Hifiman comes up with good upgrade offers, maybe I can appreciate the SE more after coming from the V2 :wink:
I still can’t shake the suspicion that in the coming months you may have something newer than the se to upgrade to. They’re way overdue.

Nov 14, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #3,630 of 5,391
That sounds fun. I’ll look up that amp. I’m still deciding between the V2 and se as well.

I may be imagining this but I think the HEKse may sound a shade less bright and garish using the tube stage of my amp instead of solid state. The amp also comes with a “Tube+” mode that is supposed to emphasize even order harmonics and reduce “negative feedback”, but whatever it’s doing I think it sounds incredibly artificial and soulless.

I went through a tube rolling obsessive phase once I got the Pro iCAN Sig, likely a carryover from my hobby of building hand-wired repros of 50’s Fender Tweed guitar amps. The amp takes 2C51/5670/396A valves, and after running through the NOS supplies I had on hand, I found a matched pair of Bendix 6385s that were high gain and truly never used—found off the shelf of an old hardware store in upstate NY that had just closed after 100 years. I decided that these were my Holy Grails.

I’m not certain how authentic the tube circuit is on this amp—396As are really preamp tubes and when I opened up the chassis (do AYOR) I noticed that they installed a row of red LEDs beneath the sockets to make them fake glow through a circular glass window on the top. But it does seem to provide a bit more mellow sound (at the expense of a little bit of detail).

The quest continues…
The sound of the Vio V2xx series is said to be tubey among solid sate amps, but I guess nothing can beat a great tube amp for its warmth and musicality, but tube amps which can perfectly drive planars are quite expensive and beyond my budget, the Vio (hopefully) will fit the bill for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back