Hifiman HE1000-SE
Sep 8, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #2,957 of 5,211
Sep 9, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #2,958 of 5,211
I'm in the market for a cable for my newly acquired HE1000se.

If any one is interested in selling their
Forza AudioWorks Noir Hybrid HPC cable that terminates to 4.4mm balanced or any other nice cable that terminates to 4.4mm balanced, I'll gladly buy it . 😉

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #2,960 of 5,211
By the way, I was wondering if I could get some help here...

As I said earlier, over the weekend I acquired the HEKse to replace my Arya which I love. The problem is without EQ, the HEKse is too bright for me. It's getting to the point where I can't fully enjoy the music because I'm always waiting for that next cymbal crash or guitar string.
All morning I've been going back and forth with the HEKse and Arya and every time I go to the Arya I'm relaxed and everything sounds warm and velvety smooth. Sure, there's a big loss of high frequency detail and the bass is slower and not as tight. The Arya just doesn't have the speed of the HEKse, we all know that. It's a MUCH more forgiving headphone. The HEKse is ruthless in comparison.

So, long story long, I need to EQ the HEKse if I'm going to keep it. I'm streaming Tidal from my Mac Mini. I don't know anything about EQing. I wouldn't even know where to begin as I've never been down this path before.
At this point, if I don't EQ, I think the Metrum Pavane and Luxman p-750u can make the Arya sound good enough for listening.
But in the back of my mind I'll always wonder, "what if...".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Do you have Peace (free download) for EQ? If so, this one was a pretty easy EQ. Bring down 6.5k around 5-6db and bring down 12-13k (or somewhere in between with a wider/low Q) down 5db as well and you've got a better balance without that extra brightness. If you're not super into EQing and still enjoy the resolution you get from the SE, the V2s aren't that far away technically with a better tonal balance out of the box.

Sep 13, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #2,961 of 5,211
@Undun thank you!
So when Tidal plays, it will go through this "Peace" EQ automatically? Will I have to engage this EQ every time I turn on the computer or no?
Sorry for all the questions.

Sep 13, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #2,962 of 5,211
@Undun thank you!
So when Tidal plays, it will go through this "Peace" EQ automatically? Will I have to engage this EQ every time I turn on the computer or no?
Sorry for all the questions.
Yep, Tidal, Spotify, Roon whatever should through the Peace EQ. Once you have the EQ set up, you don't need to re-enable on startup--it will do so automatically. At least that's how it's configured on my end (there might be a dialog box that asks you for permission to let it automatically enable on boot-up, so as long as you OK that, it should work hassle-free). Glad to help, feel free to ask more questions here or PM, I don't mind at all!

Sep 13, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #2,963 of 5,211
Yep, Tidal, Spotify, Roon whatever should through the Peace EQ. Once you have the EQ set up, you don't need to re-enable on startup--it will do so automatically. At least that's how it's configured on my end (there might be a dialog box that asks you for permission to let it automatically enable on boot-up, so as long as you OK that, it should work hassle-free). Glad to help, feel free to ask more questions here or PM, I don't mind at all!
Wow! Thanks again for your help! Much appreciated.

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #2,964 of 5,211
Peace EQ isn't available for Mac.

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #2,965 of 5,211
Peace EQ isn't available for Mac.
Oh man, totally forgot that Equalizer APO isn't a thing on mac :/. I hope you can find a suitable alternative.

Oct 2, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #2,967 of 5,211
Everyone hears differently. On my set up the SE sounds just about right. I moved from a HE1000v2 which for me was too warm. But then I like my modded Ultrasone Ed.10 which is very bright.
Hi this reply is not,want directly for you and is just a general thought about we all hear different...

1) we all hear the same from a physical sense
2) we all have different levels of audio hearing ability physically based on our genetics, age, exposure to damage to the ear system and a th physical aolments that can degrade hearing ability at different frequencies
3) our ears are connected to our brains. We can be trained to listen better and different amounts of training or experience make a difference. Also our brain eqs sound in a way adjusting how we perceive sound over time the somewhat funny phrase brain burn in comes to mind.

Not sure why this phrase irks me and a in apologies to @S Crowther as it's totally not you just a phrase I hear often and it negates so many other factors.

Oct 3, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #2,968 of 5,211
Hi this reply is not,want directly for you and is just a general thought about we all hear different...

1) we all hear the same from a physical sense
2) we all have different levels of audio hearing ability physically based on our genetics, age, exposure to damage to the ear system and a th physical aolments that can degrade hearing ability at different frequencies
3) our ears are connected to our brains. We can be trained to listen better and different amounts of training or experience make a difference. Also our brain eqs sound in a way adjusting how we perceive sound over time the somewhat funny phrase brain burn in comes to mind.

Not sure why this phrase irks me and a in apologies to @S Crowther as it's totally not you just a phrase I hear often and it negates so many other factors.

You just made a list of some reasons why people hear differently. :L3000:

Oct 3, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #2,969 of 5,211
In some earlier posts I made comments about how I thought the SE was too bright for me. I thought about EQ but after having some problems trying to download some stuff and not being savvy with that to begin with, I decided not to do it.

I then thought about my interconnects. I've been using silver plated copper going from the DAC to the amp. I recently replaced them with Audience OHNO balanced cables and the brightness smoothed out to the point where it's actually negligible. I still have all the tremendous amount of detail the SE is capable of producing but it's smoother. I'm very happy.
I hope someone who may be on the fence about the SE but maybe hesitant in pulling the trigger due to concerns of brightness, considers the option of playing with cables. It worked for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20211003_155310749.jpg
    IMG_20211003_155310749.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back