Hifiman HE-6; is it still a world class HP?
Nov 16, 2017 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

musicbuff

100+ Head-Fier
I own a pair of the 6 screw HE-6's and I've modded them to my liking. But over the last 5 - 10 years many new and EXPENSIVE cans have hit the market. In your opinion, how do they stack up to the 6's? I'd like to hear from current and former 6 owners. Are you still loyal and if so why? If you've moved on, what characteristics of your new phones bested the 6's? I'm currently powering my 6's through a Primare A32 power amp and using a WyWires Red Series XLR cable. I plan in the future to step up to a WyWires Platinum XLR. Let's talk!

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 14
I still have mine, early pair with 4 screws. I have not listened to it since I got a pair of Stax 007 Mk1. I want to get a SS speaker amp for it. I'm currently using a tube speaker amp, really great bass from the HE-6.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 14
When did you get the Stax and is it better or just different, and if so, in what ways? Yes, the 6 does have great bass!!! (Great mids and great highs, too)!!!

Got it last year. HE-6 can get fatiguing specially listening loud. You can listen loud to the Stax all day, no fatigue. It’s very transparent. It’s membrane is thinner than HE-6. So it can start and stop quicker, I think. The 009 sounds even better, I’ll get that next year.

My system is also different now than last year, different DAC, medical grade isolation transformer, Cardas balanced IC, and power cords. And e-amp and waiting for my KGST from Iceland.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 14
Huge upgrade! Congrats! How does the Stax 007 and 009 differ in bass response to each other and the HE-6? Is the Stax's bass response anything like the Sennheiser HD800? What HP amp are you using with your Stax? Will you be able to use the same amp with the 009?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #8 of 14
Huge upgrade! Congrats! How does the Stax 007 and 009 differ in bass response to each other and the HE-6? Is the Stax's bass response anything like the Sennheiser HD800? What HP amp are you using with your Stax? Will you be able to use the same amp with the 009?

With the right speaker amp HE-6’s bass can be visceral from an hp. I don’t know if the Stax can match that even powered by the big KG amps. I’m not familiar with HD800. Right now I have a Stax 717, not bad, I’m waiting for my KGST, its a tube electrostatic amp. 007 and 009 are pro bias, KGST is pro bias.

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #10 of 14
FastAndClean, your, "YES" is in response to which statements??
wuwhere, sorry, I'm not familiar with pro bias. Would you please explain? And the reason I asked about the Senn HD800 is because its bass did not hit hard enough for me most of the time. Though it was quite good with jazz and classical (which I listen to maybe 10% of the time).

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #12 of 14
he6 is an excellent headphone, i tried it once with some sort of a power amp and they were naked (no grils) and the speed and dynamism was just excellent, i am visiting a site for second hand here in Norway from time to time if they come out i will get a pair

Nov 17, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #14 of 14
FastAndClean, your, "YES" is in response to which statements??
wuwhere, sorry, I'm not familiar with pro bias. Would you please explain? And the reason I asked about the Senn HD800 is because its bass did not hit hard enough for me most of the time. Though it was quite good with jazz and classical (which I listen to maybe 10% of the time).

You can search about Stax on-line. When Fang first demoed the HE-6 he used a big Threshold class-A speaker amp, not a puny hp amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back