HifiMAN HE-500 sound but more impact?
Apr 15, 2018 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

macdonjh

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't want to hijack any of the review and impressions threads, so I'll ask my question here:

I really like my HifiMAN HE-500s, but have found myself wanting more impact. I really like the top-to-bottom coherency of the HE-500, the whole frequency spectrum, to me, is quite continuously presented. There is enough bass depth and top-end sparkle to be satisfying for my taste. Detail retrieval is also sufficient for me.

However, when listening to rock I find myself sometimes wanting more impact, a more visceral feel. The obvious example is I want drum beats to be sharp, well defined and punchy. Perhaps I am asking my head phones, only moving a couple of cubic inches of air near my ear, to do something only my full-size speakers exciting an entire room can do?

So I ask you, what do you recommend as an HE-500-like sound with more liveliness and impact? I don't want to get into the realm above $1k at this time.

Apr 15, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 68
I have both the HE500 and HE6. It's possible the 6 may be what you're looking for, but it is a brighter headphone. I would try it before you buy. As far as heavy dynamics go I've heard good things about the Focal Clear, I would give it a go as well.

On second thought you might also want to look into the LCD-2C and LCD-X.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #4 of 68
You should try Focal stuff for sharp and drum beats, they tend to have punchiness about the sounds (and hardness of the bass) perhaps due to the type of dynamic drivers. Sundara is sharp and punchy in impact, I don't find it a good headphone for rock, but you're the better judge of that. Basically, you want upper mids sharp, and hard bass feel for drums(with the right level of decay).

I'll be finally able to try out the Fostex family headphones like EMU-Teak and Ebony, I'll see how these particular family fare in terms of the type for impactful sounds and types of bass.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #5 of 68
I don't want to hijack any of the review and impressions threads, so I'll ask my question here:

I really like my HifiMAN HE-500s, but have found myself wanting more impact. I really like the top-to-bottom coherency of the HE-500, the whole frequency spectrum, to me, is quite continuously presented. There is enough bass depth and top-end sparkle to be satisfying for my taste. Detail retrieval is also sufficient for me.

However, when listening to rock I find myself sometimes wanting more impact, a more visceral feel. The obvious example is I want drum beats to be sharp, well defined and punchy. Perhaps I am asking my head phones, only moving a couple of cubic inches of air near my ear, to do something only my full-size speakers exciting an entire room can do?

So I ask you, what do you recommend as an HE-500-like sound with more liveliness and impact? I don't want to get into the realm above $1k at this time.

Your best options seem to be: obtain a speaker amp and speaker taps. The classic HiFiMANs really open up with more power. I was blown away the first time hearing my HE-500s from speaker taps after driving it from headampa for 2 years. You might also look into a pad swap.

Obtain an HE-6, which will still need more power but has unparalleled viscerality at its price point, overgoing the punchy Utopias in this criteria.

Obtain a Focal, but I have only heard Utopia, which is very impactful. It sounds like Clear may be a good option as well.

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 68
Didn't consider power to be a weak point in my home system. The Schiit Mjolnir has 5W (OK, maximum, I don't know what the output is at the HE-500 impedance). I could make an adapter and plug my HE-500 into a small amp as an experiment, though.

Listening to the HE-6 would be obvious since I already like the HifiMAN sound, thank you for the confirmation. It would be fun to try something by Fostex, Focal and Audeze, too, though.

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #7 of 68
I didn't realize you owned the Mjolnir. All I can say is that I owned the original Lyr, no slouch for power but not the best amp in retrospect, along with the HE-500. It was no comparison to the first time I hooked up the Xindak. HE-6 is a no-brainer for your preferences. It's pretty much exactly what you're looking for. With this, you'll need more power though. Thankfully, it is cheaper to buy top of the line speaker amps than headamps.

With the HE-500, you really don't need a speaker amp, as you do with the HE-6. In terms of power, Mjolnir should be more than enough. With that said, it seems to behave much more speaker-like with a speaker amp.

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #8 of 68
Another vote for the HE6.I have not heard it with the Mjolnir though.I ran mine off of the speaker taps of a 125wpc Kenwood Eleven GX,but even a more modest 55wpc Sansui 881 rocked it too.

Another headphone to consider is the Abyss.Equally as hard(almost)to drive as the HE-6.

Apr 16, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #9 of 68
I didn't realize you owned the Mjolnir. All I can say is that I owned the original Lyr, no slouch for power but not the best amp in retrospect, along with the HE-500. It was no comparison to the first time I hooked up the Xindak. HE-6 is a no-brainer for your preferences. It's pretty much exactly what you're looking for. With this, you'll need more power though. Thankfully, it is cheaper to buy top of the line speaker amps than headamps.

With the HE-500, you really don't need a speaker amp, as you do with the HE-6. In terms of power, Mjolnir should be more than enough. With that said, it seems to behave much more speaker-like with a speaker amp.

No worries, I don't have details in my signature. I bought the Mjolnir specifically to drive the HE-500, which I'd read is a pig to drive. The HE-500 is my first new headphone in a long time. I had a pair of Sennheiser HD-580s for YEARS (like fifteen) and they finally, literally, quit working. With my kids getting older I don't get to use my big stereo much anymore (unless it's to watch movies), so I knew I'd be using my home headphones more often. I owned Apogee Stage speakers, again, for YEARS, and really missed the ribbon sound. The HE-500 satisfies most of that want, but, like I said, I'd like more impact/ punch, whatever you want to call it.

Thanks for the seconds for the HE-6.

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #11 of 68
I have both the Clear and HE-500, the Clear has much more details but way way less fun than the HE-500. I enjoy the HE-500 more despite the weight.

Interesting, thanks. I don't mind the weight of the HE-500, so I guess that won't be a factor in my decision. Anyone tried the Mr Speakers offerings?

Apr 17, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #13 of 68
I think I can try that with my new DAP. However, I am not looking for more bass quantity, what I want is for faster attack. For example, drums often sound like "boom" when I think they should sound like "thwack". It used to be described as "slow bass" or lack of immediacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back