Hifiman He 500 or Fidelio X2 which is better?
Jan 22, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 12
  Isn't X2 supposed to be somewhat bassier?

Also, price.

About the HE 500:

"BASS: The bass presentation here is close to top-level. The bass presentation of the HE-6 exhibits a higher degree of tactility, but the bass presentation of the HE-500 is no less extended. Here, percussion has fine dimension and weight without any sense of boominess; it is tight!"

Link:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE500

Price wasn't question the OP raised.

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 12
Both seem like great options

I have never experienced the X2 so cannot comment. HE-500, I have, and it is extremely good in my perception.

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #8 of 12
  Do you believe the 500 is worth the 200 dollar more expensive price to the x2? I know this is all subjective but is it going to be barely noticable or will it blow the x2 out of this universe?

I havent heard them but from all the reviews I've read I'd pick HE-500 over X2 any day if I had the money for it. That is soundwise - because the HE-500 is not totally comfortable from what I've read. I dont know if it's possible to change that, if it is I would take the HE-500 and never look back.

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 12
  Do you believe the 500 is worth the 200 dollar more expensive price to the x2? I know this is all subjective but is it going to be barely noticable or will it blow the x2 out of this universe?

Yes--it's well worth it if you have a proper amp, listen to a quality music source and plan to use it at home or a similar set place.  At its normal pricing a couple years ago, the HE 500 was a value and the lowest price can that could be found with no significant weaknesses in the sound it delivered to the ears.

Now to the second part of your question...  You are probably new to up line headphones.  In this case you are talking about the difference between the former Flagship tier to a tier above that (which I call the entry to mid level serious audiophile tier).  Don't expect that difference will be as striking as going from free-with-the-phone earbuds to a good quality $70 can like the CAL!  In that move up everything about the sound is much, much better.  When you move from the former flagship level to the HE 500, almost everything (e.g. bass, treble, mids, detail retrieval, imaging, etc.) will be better and you (with the proper equipment and music source upline) will be able to hear it.  However, the degree of overall improvement tends to shrink each time you go up a tier.  That said, the HE 500 is at a place where you have almost the whole enchilada and any significant improvement in a better overall package will cost serious money.   Serious music listeners with quality music (recorded, mastered, etc.) will not only hear the difference that the HE 500 delivers, but will appreciate that difference more and more as they use the HE 500.

Of course there are other factors in deciding on a headphone, including very individual and subjective (but still important) factors like comfort, and whether or not the can is a fit for how and with what you intend to use it.

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #11 of 12

I havent heard them but from all the reviews I've read I'd pick HE-500 over X2 any day if I had the money for it. That is soundwise - because the HE-500 is not totally comfortable from what I've read. I dont know if it's possible to change that, if it is I would take the HE-500 and never look back.

Buy these for comfort:

1) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Woven-Pure-Wool-Headband-Cushion-For-AKG-K701-K702-Q701-Headphones-/261445245520?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3cdf59da50

2) Focus Pads (I went with "A" pads)

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #12 of 12
Well if the Fidelio L1 is anything to go by, you do get punchier bass out of the Philips headphone. The bass on the HE-500 is more extended and more linear and well as better defined. The punchy bass of the L1 does have a certain fun factor to it. In addition the Philips headphones are easy to drive, but they do improve with amping (mine had even more punch with the Violectric V100). If the X2 is on par with the HD600 then the HE-500 will be a nice step up. I thought the HE-500 was a significant improvement on my Sennheiser HD580s. They are tough to drive, but there are lots of impressive amps available for not too much money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back