Hifiman HE-400i or Sennheiser HD-650
Mar 16, 2019 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LoringL

New Head-Fier
My current headphones are Sennheiser HD-555 driven by a Yulong Daart Canary. I believe it sounds very good (the Daart Canary is an overlooked gem, in my opinion). I am, however, thinking about upgrading my headphones. I'm looking at the Hifiman and Sennheisers. My musical tastes are rock and pop (Gin Blossoms, Third Eye Blind, Goo Goo Dolls, etc.). Does anyone have an opinion as to which way I should turn? I've always liked the "Sennheiser sound" and have never listened to planar magnetics. Thanks.

Mar 16, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 10
I can only speak for the HD650. It's spectacular. Find a decent amp and you will not be disappointed.

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 10
My current headphones are Sennheiser HD-555 driven by a Yulong Daart Canary. I believe it sounds very good (the Daart Canary is an overlooked gem, in my opinion). I am, however, thinking about upgrading my headphones. I'm looking at the Hifiman and Sennheisers. My musical tastes are rock and pop (Gin Blossoms, Third Eye Blind, Goo Goo Dolls, etc.). Does anyone have an opinion as to which way I should turn? I've always liked the "Sennheiser sound" and have never listened to planar magnetics. Thanks.

Maybe look into the HD58X.

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 10
I have both and if I could only pick one it would be the HD650. I have made the mistake of selling my 650s and ended up having to re-buy them because I missed them. If you get the 6XX ($200) and then get one of the 400i open box auction deals ($120) you could have both for pretty close in price to just the HD650.

Mar 17, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 10
I like the smooth and warm nature (not the bloomy kind) of the sig with the middy sound. I can see people coming back to it, and it reacts differently to different amping.

It's nice to relax to, no peakiness or anything. Only issue is that the subs don't extend, but I can live with that for the open sound.

It's a pleasing sound.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #10 of 10
Based on your preferences I Would echo other opinions here and say go with the 650. Hifiman has made some great headphones, but have also made their fair share of dude. The 400i's aren't terrible, but they definitely aren't their strong suit. IMO if you wanted to hear planar magnetics, I would keep an eye out for a used pair of HE-500s. Given these 2 choices, the 650 every day of the week. It's in a totally different category than the 400i

Users who are viewing this thread

Back