HiFiMan HE 400i Cable Replacement
Apr 26, 2016 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

porridgecup

Head-Fier
My HE 400i just arrived a few hours ago, and I noticed that the right channel sounded considerably weaker than the left. I think it's quieter and has some missing bass extension.

At first I thought it was just a defective driver, but repeatedly swapping the detachable cable outputs revealed the problem is actually with the right side of the cable, not the headphones. Putting the right side in the left driver causes that driver to have the issue, and putting the left side in the right driver resolves the issue.

I also noticed that the cable's right side doesn't quite snap or click into the input as cleanly as the left side.

I'm just looking for a decent replacement cable, ideally under $100. Single ended, not balanced. Everything I could find was either an upgrade cable, or a really expensive balanced cable, usually over $150.

Any suggestions for just a standard after market cable I could buy, preferably with links?

Thanks.

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #2 of 4
  My HE 400i just arrived a few hours ago, and I noticed that the right channel sounded considerably weaker than the left. I think it's quieter and has some missing bass extension.

At first I thought it was just a defective driver, but repeatedly swapping the detachable cable outputs revealed the problem is actually with the right side of the cable, not the headphones. Putting the right side in the left driver causes that driver to have the issue, and putting the left side in the right driver resolves the issue.

I also noticed that the cable's right side doesn't quite snap or click into the input as cleanly as the left side.

I'm just looking for a decent replacement cable, ideally under $100. Single ended, not balanced. Everything I could find was either an upgrade cable, or a really expensive balanced cable, usually over $150.

Any suggestions for just a standard after market cable I could buy, preferably with links?

Thanks.

I'm assuming you're getting the new 400i with the dual mono 2.5mm jack instead of the old connector ?

If so, you can try searching ebay for "sennheiser hd700 replacement cable"

I bought one for my he400s from some seller in china, costs about $30 with free shipping

There's no sound change to my ears, just dont like the stiffness of the stock he400s cable

This ebay cable is a bit on the thin side, but should be ok for my daily use indoor

Hope this help :)

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #4 of 4
  Thanks. It is indeed the dual mono connectors.

Are there any other headphones or other keywords to search for finding cables that use the same kind of connectors?

Found mine using "Sennheiser HD700 cable" or prob "Sennheiser HD700 replacement cable"

At any rate, they're pretty much the same, dual mono 2.5mm jacks to the earcups & 3.5mm stereo jack on the other end

Mine is standard chinese made cable, no complain yet for $30

Probably there are others more expensive cables for Sennheiser HD700, should work too with the HE400i/s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back