Hifiman HE-400 and Similar Priced Competitors. Which to Choose?
Sep 8, 2014 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Peacebucket

New Head-Fier
So, I'm getting some nice birthday money in a few weeks, and I decided to spend on it on the obvious choice, my first pair of audiophile headphones!

I've been deciding for a long time to get the HE-400s, since they seem to be a great choice at the price being a Planar Magnetic headphones. Although, as the title says, I wanted to see what other headphones could compete with those babies.

Budget: <$340.
The Use: EDM, trap, female vocalists, and gaming.
Can be open,semi-open, or closed.

If possible, any amp or DAC suggestion would be appreciated!:D

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 16
AKG Q701 is another great headphone in that price point.  It has a wide soundstage, engaging and dynamic presentation, and excellent mids

The Philips Fidelio L1 also sounds very nice and the construction is superb for a headphone under $300

The NAD VISO HP50 is a great closed headphone below $300 that has an excellent and even sounding presentation

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 16
I think hifiman HE 500 is the best bang for the buck.. You get a lot of value at that price point.. Look for a used pair, may be a tad of a stretch on your budget but it's worth saving a little for...

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 16
HD 500 is more efficient than the 650, again easier to power and my choice all day long

But don't the HE500s want all the power? That lower impedance more power thing I don't really understand yet.. 
confused.gif

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #11 of 16
But I think the HE-500s are stretching my current budget quite a bit, but I don't really know if I should save up or just go with the HE-400s. I don't really want the akgs anymore mostly because they are mostly highs, but little bass.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #12 of 16
Go with the HD650, they should handle everything pretty well.  Can't say the same for the other choices on this thread that I've heard (HE400 and Q701).  Amping is required but you don't need anything outrageously expensive to make them sound good.

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #15 of 16
I think 612pro is the best option. fantastic for electronic music. excellent bass extension, great soundstage and stellar imagine with fantastic transparency .. 650 is other hand too veiled, too laid back for electronic music imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back