Hifiman HE-400 Amp Pairing
May 28, 2015 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tobythepenguin

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. 
I bought a HE-400 a few weeks ago. I want to improve the SQ by buying an amp. I don't have much budget though. I have under 100 dollars. I heard good things about the Fiio E11. I'm also considering the E07k and CMOYbb. Can someone recommend a sub-100 amp for the HE-400?

Plz Help.

May 29, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 13
Well, I'd save for the Fiio E11. In my experience, the HE-400s could use a bit more power than the E11K can provide. That being said, the E11K would certainly be a good improvement over unamped.

May 29, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #7 of 13
What about the Cmoy by JDSlabs? Do those match well with the HE-400s? The only concern with the Cmoy is that I heard it lacks bass impact... Hmm. Also, I searched up some used amp/dacs on ebay and found a 70$ deal for a magni-modi stack and a 45$ deal for a magni amp also looked up on the Schiit Fulla...

Sooooo...

Which would be better?
E12 (128$)
CMOYbb V2.03 by JDS Labs (60$)
Cmoy 18 volt Headphone amplifier AMP RA1 JRC4556 Original (From Fred's Amps. I think these have more power than the JDS CMOY)
Used Magni/Modi (70$. Kind of worried it's a scam.)
Used Magni (45$)
Schiit Fulla (75$ approx)

And again, thank you so much for helping me out. 

May 29, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #9 of 13
I've used my HE-400 with a Magni 1 and a Magni 2 Uber. Both were good, and each has gobs of power for almost any headphone you could want to use.

I can't really draw SQ comparisons to other amps, but I know that they will be good.

As for scams, stick with Paypal on eBay and you should be fine. That should insure your purchase so in case the amp never arrives or arrives defective.

And I know it pushes your budget, but $99 +shipping gets you a new Magni 2 straight from Schiit if you need peace of mind.

May 29, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #10 of 13
What about the Cmoy by JDSlabs? Do those match well with the HE-400s? The only concern with the Cmoy is that I heard it lacks bass impact... Hmm. Also, I searched up some used amp/dacs on ebay and found a 70$ deal for a magni-modi stack and a 45$ deal for a magni amp also looked up on the Schiit Fulla...

Sooooo...

Which would be better?
E12 (128$)
CMOYbb V2.03 by JDS Labs (60$)
Cmoy 18 volt Headphone amplifier AMP RA1 JRC4556 Original (From Fred's Amps. I think these have more power than the JDS CMOY)
Used Magni/Modi (70$. Kind of worried it's a scam.)
Used Magni (45$)
Schiit Fulla (75$ approx)

And again, thank you so much for helping me out. 

A used Magni would be an excellent choice. Plenty of power, more so than any of the other amps you have listed. If you can get one for $45, I'd jump on it. And if you can get both the Modi/Magni for $70, that's a great deal :)

May 30, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 13
I'd be concerned about a CMOY having enough power. Plus, these are open headphones. There's no good reason to get a portable amp over a desktop amp. Plenty of people are happy with a Magni or Vali. I'd personally recommend a slightly warmer amp but I can't think of anything suitable in that price range. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back