Hifiman EF5 -- modded by K Works
Jun 13, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 12
holyyyy craps mike, i must say u got balls BALLS! to throw $1600 worth of diy upgrades at a $400 amp is something i'd consider bordering on the reckless or ... brilliant! glad its turned out so well for u.

bit of nosy parker here but why did u pick the EF5 to mod? was it because the topology was good that it deserved the love or cos K works recommended it? either way your mod EF5 sounds like a showcase for what good parts & great power supply/reg can do for a mediocre-average amp.

ps:if u dont mind, may i ask whats the range of variable resistance the box provides & would u know the precise Z u found best with the K701/2? thxs

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 12
didnt mean to diss the EF5 though i did have an albeit brief audition with both the hifiman HE6 & HE5LE & its was hohum at best. put it this way - my $50 vintage Sansui SS amp kicked EF5 butt with both orthos. however i didnt get a chance to listen to it with any other headphones.

i did recently get my hands on a set of K702s & its sounding really nice with either of my main headphone amps - vintage Sansui AU517 & Pioneer SA7500 integrateds. the Sansui gives the k702s a fuller more authoratitive bass with lusher mids while the Pioneer's more airy & extended up top. both make the K702 sound great esp with 2-4dB of bass boost - as quick & detailed as the orthos with similar bass texture & only lacking in ultimate bass body & extension.

only reason im asking bout output Z is cos both my vintage amps have their headout off the main amp with a coupla 220ohm resistor in series. just wondering if u are running your akg's at a similar Z out too. your mod'd super EF5 mite not be the best value buy but im glad its turned out to be a great sonic choice.

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #7 of 12
It's always enthralling to read about someone obtaining exactly what they want out of an audio component. Sometimes the journey is such a significant part of the overall experience. 

Congratulations!

Jack

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Do you like this better than your Sonett?

+x1 - great question. for that matter hows the super EF5 drive the K1000 vs the audionote tubie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back