HiFiMAN EF2 USB Headphone Amplifier vs. DarkVoice 336SE
Jul 31, 2009 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

hedmaster

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, first post here, so please be kind!
ksc75smile.gif

I am interested in getting a headphone amp for my desktop, with my computer as a source, so a DAC will also be important. But, is my DAC now going to be able to compete with the options I am looking at?

So, as the title says, I am looking for comparisons of the two. I am intersted in SQ, and best bang for the buck. I am just starting on my audiophile journey, so please keep that in mind.

I have been listening through my gaming headset: Sennheiser PC350, which is, I believe, the same as the Senn. PXC 350, and 450 but w/out the noise cancellation of the latter, of course. I didn't buy this headset for music, of course, but have been using it for everything, including music & skype & of course, gaming.

My interest, and ultimate goals are: a.) to find the best bang-for-the-buck equipment I can while building a respectable sounding rig.
b.) By respectable sounding, I mean finding that line on the price/performance curve that stops at the point of diminishing returns, probably way before that, lol!

My music tastes include: rock, folk, classical, jazz, but no hard rock.

Right now I have a brand new Shure SRH840, that I received yesterday, woohoo! I listen to my music through my pc's soundcard: Auzentech X-Plosion, Features and Specifications (I have Vista 64 running)
  1. C-Media CMI8770 PCI chipset (8CH audio single chip with DTS® Connect and Dolby® Digital Live Real-Time Content Encoder)
  2. 8CH codec embedded PCI audio single chip
  3. Full-duplex 8CH 24bit/96kHz DAC / 2CH 16bit/48kHz ADC
  4. Integrated S/PDIF output supports 44.1kHz/48kHz/96kHz sample rate in XP at 16/24 bit resolution
  5. Integrated S/PDIF output supports 44.1kHz/48kHz sample rate in VIsta at 16 bit resolution
  6. The world's first DTS¨ Connect logo program certificated PCI audio board
  7. DTS® Interactive : A real-time 5.1 encoder that takes any 2 or more channel and encodes it into DTS® bit stream. DTS® Interactive provides a single cable connection via S/PDIF digital audio output to a DTS® enabled surround sound system by encoding all audio into a DTS® compatible bit stream at 1.5Mbps
  8. DTS® Neo:pC : An up mixing matrix technology that turns any 2 channel audio into 7.1 surround sound. DTS® Neo:pC, based upon DTS® Neo:6 matrix surround technology, transforms any stereo content such as MP3, WMA or CD audio, into a 7.1-channel surround sound experience
  9. Dolby® Digital Live(DDL) Real-Time Content Encoder converts PC audio into a 5.1 channel Dolby® Digital bit stream
  10. Swappable dual DIP type OPAMP controlled preamp circuit (4pcs output control OPAMP IC with DIY socket, 2pcs MIC input control OPAMP IC with DIY socket)
  11. Max 2.8Vrms full swing analog output gain by unique preamp circuit / incredible powerful analog output, improve dynamic range / SNR
  12. Proper OPAMP control circuit (+8V, -8V dual power supply circuit) for high quality audio quality, prevent audio distortion at high volume level
  13. Package contents: Auzen X-Plosion 7.1 Audio Card / MPC to MPC(2pin-2pin) CD S/PDIF audio cable / TOSLINK fiber optic digital cable / installation CD / warranty card / owner's manual
  14. Swappable OPAMPs: All Auzen soundcards support swappable OPAMP sockets for OPAMP upgrades.
External Connections
External Connections listed Left to Right. See photograph.
  1. MIC In (3.5 mm)
  2. AUX In (3.5 mm)
  3. Front, Side, Back, Cen/Sub (3.5mm)
  4. Coaxial Digital port
  5. Optical Digital port
I listen through the S/PDIF cable to my Onkyo HT-R520 Home Theater Amp (that does DD and DTS) to the headphone out.

I know, it is laughable compared to most people's set ups, but this is where I am starting from.

At any rate, I often listen to Last.fm, and my cds through the LG cd player in the computer.

I have, and am trying to figure out Fubar 2k, and how ASIO works with it, as I see that as a very popular set up here.

I need tons of help, so any would be appreciated. The information content is so amazingly huge, that it is easy to get overwhelmed and confused.

I have been lurking for months, doing my homework, but it seems the more you learn, the less you know, lol!

I know that I have more questions than what the title says, so if you could please steer me in the right direction for some of these, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back