Hifiman EF2 / Millet Starving Student
Feb 13, 2010 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SpoolinEclipse

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, so currently I'm using an Asus Essence STX line outs to a bravo hybrid tube amp from ebay. I'm considering upgrading my amp and possibly source whichever would yield the best benefit. Using the line outs on the Essence is nice, but not sure how it compares to the EF2 dac. I'd like to go with whatever would sound better. I listen to FLAC files mostly, game occasionally, but I don't really care about any gaming effects provided by a soundcard.

Keep the Essence, and go with a Millet Starving Student.
Sell the Essence, and go with the Hifiman ef2 setup.

Feb 15, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #2 of 3
I'm sorry to see no replies to your questions, but they are rather specific and some of us have not heard the gear you have now to know what will suffice as an upgrade.

I did review the EF2, and my son has a Millett SSH, and although I have not been able to compare them side by side we both tend to use the EF2 a little more - it works better with sensitive IEM and the DAC is very decent (same PCM2702E Japan as in the Meier 3MOVE). You will likely need to change the stock tubes to some Raytheon 6AK5 as the stock tubes may be be a little bright with the phones in your signature. REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

The Millett SSH is a great amp with Grado and Ultrasone headphones and seems to have good power, and it was a fantastic amp for my friend's PS-1 headphones at a meet we tried them together a year ago. I'm not sure it's as good with HD600 as the EF2 though. So if you don't have any IEM you could build the MSSH for half the cost of the EF2. I just don't know how good your source is to pair with this.

In the end, I don't know enough about the phones you have combined with these amps, or your source to make a recommendation.

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 3
Thank you for the reply, I'm going to have a read on the review of the EF2 now. I think your correct and im also unsure how the Essence would be paired with a MSSH. I'll search around a bit and see if i can find anyone with the combination of the two.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back