HIFIMAN EF-5 Tube rolling Thread
May 30, 2010 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Br777

Headphoneus Supremus
This is a thread solely dedicated to describing different tube sounds available with the HIFIMAN EF- 5 amps via tube rolling

I would like to keep this thread simple and clean if there is such a thing on head-fi :wink:

describe the type of tubes you have ACTUALLY TRIED in your EF5, and describe the way they flavored the sound.

Also include the Headphones you use.

Thanks

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 7
Not to change the subject, but you can roll the opamp as well.  
L3000.gif

But back on topic, I have 4 tubes besides the stock Full Music I can roll with (includes 1 12BH7, which I've read work as well).  Will try to spend some time on this and post my impressions within the next few days.

May 20, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 7
Hmm, not much activity here.

Well I've tried two NOS tubes-- the RCA "clear top" and the German-made RFT. I haven't used the stock tube, so hard to make comparisons to that. The impression I get from the RCA "clear top" is warm and a glowing midrange. With my somewhat dark Audeze LCD-2 (rev 2) headphones, unfortunately it can lack some treble sparkle. The RFT sounds completely different -- a bright and lean tube. Normally I would not like that, but the treble on the RFT is just gorgeous. I can listen forever. (The downsize is lean tonal balance and thin bass.)

Neither tube is good enough all-around, so I continue the hunt.

Mike

May 20, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 7
I eventually will get around to comparing tubes like I said I would. Will use my 5LE's which are pretty revealing. May not happen for a few weeks though - need a reasonable block of time to do a proper comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back