Hifiman Edition XS vs Aeon X Closed
Jan 6, 2023 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Djent

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

Im looking for recommendations for my next headphone and im torn between the XS and Aeon X.

I do love sub-bass and im an EDM freak. I love stuff from Ray Volpe, Tynan, Trampa, Virtual Riot just to name a few. Im also really into 70s music in general. I love me some rare and obscure prog albums with subpar mastering.

Im not looking for something to handle everything, but im interested in getting my first set of planars and want something that handles EDM / Experimental Bass genres well.

I currently own HD650, DT880 and DT990 (both 250ohm), AKG K712 and the sony wh-1000xm3.
I produce music and work in studio and have long praised the DT880 for their sound clarity making mixing and mastering easier than say the ATH m50x i had as a teen. I think of the bunch i like the K712s the least. I used them for a few months without AB testing back and forth with my other cans which i finally did when my ifi hipdac 2 arrived and quickly realised i didnt like the "boxy" midrange of the akgs.

Havent seen the XS and Aeon X compared, hopefully someone here have tried both.

Thank you guys!

Jan 6, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 4
Im also really into 70s music in general. I love me some rare and obscure prog albums with subpar mastering.

If you also appreciate movies/tv shows that are nostalgic with music, then you should go onto Netflix and watch Mindhunter (with Charlize Theron) with at least your HD650. :wink:

Jan 6, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 4
I've had both and the XS is better in my opinion. The Aeon no matter which filter for the cups I used it wasn't worth that kind of money. The xs has a little more bass than the Ananda, but with some eq you can get it more fun.
They aren't hard to drive, but you'll need enough power to handle a -4 or -6db preamp reduction. If you just want to try on a budget, the He4xx has great bass slam if you have the power/current for them. I've had the whole Hifiman line up to the Arya. For music, the He400i is the best value for the sound though.
I have the he5xx currently and switch between it and the DT770 250ohm which really delivers bass extension all the way down. If you have to feel sub bass, grab the 770 250 ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back