Hifiman connectors
Sep 12, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 6
They're an SMC connector. Dreadful things. At least for use as headphone connectors.

You can get 'em from Peter at Double Helix Cables.

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=57

se

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks! So I'm having a custom cable made. Have you seen what's inside the housing? Is there any mediocre wire that could be easily replaced? I won't try to bypass the connectors with my custom cable-- I'll still use them, but I might try to upgrade the internal wiring.

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 6
Anyway, thanks for the link to the website. Looks like his SMC connectors may be an upgrade. It's curious that Hifiman actually supplied a pair of them with my HE-500, almost like they were expecting me to need them to make a custom cable.

I haven't listened much to the stock cable, but I can say one thing: the microphonics are terrible. All these grinding noises every time I shift.

The custom cable I have for my Audeze LCD-2 is covered in a Kevlar weave, which turns out to be quite non-microphonic.

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 6
Yeah, I always thought it was nice that HiFiMAN included an extra pair of connectors with their headphones. Now if only they'd have chosen a better connector.
biggrin.gif

By the way, the ones Peter sells are a bit better than the ones HiFiMAN supplies in that the nut is a bit longer so you can get a bit better grip on it with your fingers when attaching it to the headphones.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back